+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience --- Please Help!!!

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
I have all paper works and required documents ready to send off but I am still not confident enough on my job title as I feel there are chances they would reject my application because of "job title." A friend of mine suggested to find an immigration consultant/lawyer but I am not sure if it is worthy to try. Here is my case, hope everyone can give me some feedback. (My PGWP is expiring in July so please don't suggest to find a different job or extend work visa. Have already tried!)

I work as a FT guest service representative at a shopping centre. I am the second in command beside the guest service supervisor. My annual salary is close to $30,000. The company doesn't want to change my title as they might have to pay more wages. Yet, the general manager did write me a letter with detailed job duties, here they are:

" Assist Guest Services Supervisor with programs and events designed to engage the Guest Services team
Assist to train, supervise, and schedule Concierge staff; develop schedules and prepare time sheets
Assist to develop and maintain all Guest Services operating procedures and manuals
Conduct all service functions of the Customer Relations / Concierge Desk
In the absence of the Guest Services Supervisor, assume all day to day responsibilities for the operation of the Guest Services Desk
Monitor and maintain inventory of consumable supplies and tourism materials
Participates in special projects and assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Assist the Marketing Director with marketing/promotional events and programs
Collect/compile information, data for promotional tracking purposes as related to certain events and programs
Complete event analysis/reports for major programs and events as requested
Train and set up new retailers and resolve any gift card inquiries/issues
Provide daily & monthly administrative support to the management team
Answer, redirect and/or follow-up on inquiries related to marketing, operation, security, housekeeping, or Guest Services
Liaison between guests, retailers, Guest Services team and management
"
I am thinking to use NOC code: 6314. Please advise if there is a better option and if I should consider to consult immigration experts (I really doubt they would say anything else besides to obtain a job title).

Also, I am hired by the Provincial Language Service as a contract interpreter. The work hours per week are vary (case by case base) but I would like to include this as it is kind of work experience in Canada. Plus, they wrote me a very decent reference letter.

I talked to a friend who applied for CEC last year and received her PR recently. She suggested to focus on things required on the application and guide. She said I shouldn't put my interpreter experience on the application but I would like to hear other people's views on this.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. Any suggestions or ideas are valuable. :)

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
Not sure if the language test would have anything to do on decision making but my IELTS result was higher than NOC Level O requirement.

kamaleddin

Star Member
Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
03-05-2012
IELTS Request
Included
Med's Request
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
Med's delivered to Ottawa (Purolator): 24-09-2012
Passport Req..
01-11-2012
LANDED..........
01-12-2012
Hello,

Send an email to noc-cnp@workingincanada.gc.ca (Human Resources and Skills Development Canada) and provide them with tho job description and your title and your salary. They will get back to you with the right NOC code in 14-18 days.

Kamal

babybear said:
I have all paper works and required documents ready to send off but I am still not confident enough on my job title as I feel there are chances they would reject my application because of "job title." A friend of mine suggested to find an immigration consultant/lawyer but I am not sure if it is worthy to try. Here is my case, hope everyone can give me some feedback. (My PGWP is expiring in July so please don't suggest to find a different job or extend work visa. Have already tried!)

I work as a FT guest service representative at a shopping centre. I am the second in command beside the guest service supervisor. My annual salary is close to $30,000. The company doesn't want to change my title as they might have to pay more wages. Yet, the general manager did write me a letter with detailed job duties, here they are:

" Assist Guest Services Supervisor with programs and events designed to engage the Guest Services team
Assist to train, supervise, and schedule Concierge staff; develop schedules and prepare time sheets
Assist to develop and maintain all Guest Services operating procedures and manuals
Conduct all service functions of the Customer Relations / Concierge Desk
In the absence of the Guest Services Supervisor, assume all day to day responsibilities for the operation of the Guest Services Desk
Monitor and maintain inventory of consumable supplies and tourism materials
Participates in special projects and assumes other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Assist the Marketing Director with marketing/promotional events and programs
Collect/compile information, data for promotional tracking purposes as related to certain events and programs
Complete event analysis/reports for major programs and events as requested
Train and set up new retailers and resolve any gift card inquiries/issues
Provide daily & monthly administrative support to the management team
Answer, redirect and/or follow-up on inquiries related to marketing, operation, security, housekeeping, or Guest Services
Liaison between guests, retailers, Guest Services team and management
"
I am thinking to use NOC code: 6314. Please advise if there is a better option and if I should consider to consult immigration experts (I really doubt they would say anything else besides to obtain a job title).

Also, I am hired by the Provincial Language Service as a contract interpreter. The work hours per week are vary (case by case base) but I would like to include this as it is kind of work experience in Canada. Plus, they wrote me a very decent reference letter.

I talked to a friend who applied for CEC last year and received her PR recently. She suggested to focus on things required on the application and guide. She said I shouldn't put my interpreter experience on the application but I would like to hear other people's views on this.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. Any suggestions or ideas are valuable. :)

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
Hi kamaleddin,

Thank you for the info. I will look into it.

Meanwhile, I am open to any suggestions. :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
babybear said:
I am still not confident enough on my job title as I feel there are chances they would reject my application because of "job title."

Your job title is that which your employer designates. You can't change it - it is what it is. Even if your employer did change it, it would not (usuallY) be retroactive, but it would be a "new" position from that date forward.

It sounds like the best NOC code, but I agree with the advice, get HRSDC to review it and give you a ruling. It sounds like your position is that of a defacto "assistant manager" even if that is not your official title. If you could get your employer to state something of the sort, that would be good.

Letters of Reference for all work experience in Canada over the previous 3 years are required. Besides, it IS skilled work experience, why would you exclude it???

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
Thank you, jes_ON. Have emailed HRSDC to get the correct NOC code. My employer didn't want to state anything which is not on the original job description even though I do more than what it asks for on the job duties. They didn't seem to have a clue on how the whole CEC and LMO work for PGWP. When I tried to explain the difference, they kept bringing the standard requirement from Service Canada that you need to have a positing posted more than 6 months and no locals people to fill...those blurblur.....

I am crossing my fingers for positive answers from HRSDC.

Thanks a lot for all replies. :)

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
HRSDC emailed me back the NOC code which is..."0632" --- way better than I thought. "Definitely recommend others who have the same concern as me to email HRSDC" as they came back with less than 5 days!

Here is what they said in the email,

"Based on the information that you have provided, the following National Occupational Classification (NOC) code may be appropriate for the occupation that you described. Please verify the link below to ensure that the education, main duties and employment requirements correspond to your occupation. You are in a better position to determine whether or not this NOC code reflects your job. Please note that this code is from the NOC 2006 version as many departments (such as Citizenship and Immigration Canada) and organizations will continue to use the 2006 version for the next few years.

NOC code 0632 - Accommodation Service Managers (assistant manager, hotel)"

Should I go with the code they came back!? Do I need to attach the email from HRSDC with my application!?

Do I need to have an immigration consultant to review my application prior I mail it out?! Cost between $150-200 per hour...prefer not to as I have all documents ready but would like to hear others' feedback.

Which immigration office should I choose?! I was thinking "Seattle" as I live in Victoria, BC. Seattle seems to be the closet one.

Thanks a lot :)

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
As their reply says, you are better placed to determine if the NOC code they gave you is consistent with what you do. If it is, you may use it and it won't hurt to attach the email from HRDSC with your application.

Since the closure of the visa office in Buffalo, applicants in Canada(temporary lawful residents only) can select CPP-O as their visa office. See under Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
babybear said:
HRSDC emailed me back the NOC code which is..."0632" ---

"Based on the information that you have provided, the following National Occupational Classification (NOC) code may be appropriate for the occupation that you described. Please verify the link below to ensure that the education, main duties and employment requirements correspond to your occupation. You are in a better position to determine whether or not this NOC code reflects your job. Please note that this code is from the NOC 2006 version as many departments (such as Citizenship and Immigration Canada) and organizations will continue to use the 2006 version for the next few years.

NOC code 0632 - Accommodation Service Managers (assistant manager, hotel)"

Should I go with the code they came back!? Do I need to attach the email from HRSDC with my application!?

Well, apart from the fact that the HRSDC person seems to think you work in a hotel instead of mall, the NOC includes titles like "guest services manager" which is probably closer to what you do (at the assistant level) than "retail manager". (There is also 0714, which includes shopping mall manager, but the duties focus on the facility rather than guests/customers).

The 0632 code is also based on the fact that you sound like an assistant manager (we still don't know what your actual job title is). Whether CIC accepts that depends on whether your employer supports that interpretation in the letter... If they do not, then CIC won't either (most likely).

Also note that the info provided RE 2006 vs 2011 NOC codes is not entirely correct... CIC will continue to accept 2006 NOCs for the time being, but you can use 2011 NOC codes if you want, if there is an advantage to you...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob393.asp

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
Thank you, jes_ON.

The job title I emailed to HRSDC is "guest service representative" and they got back to me with "0632" NOC code. I am the second-in-command at the Concierge Desk but my general manager and the head office don't want to give me an assistant supervisor/manager title because of company policies and standards.

I had a very difficult time asking my GM and head office for the employment/reference letter. I even copied the requirement from the document checklist and gave to them. I ended up received an employment letter from HR with the specific period of my employment with the company (I started on March 2010), position I have held, salary, and number of hours worked per week plus a copy of the job positing dated on July 5 2011. There were changes on my job responsibilities and duties back to July 2011 (I am still under the same job title) so again because of "company policies," they needed to put up a new positing. My general manager wrote me an employment verification letter to further confirm my additional responsibilities which are the ones I emailed to HRSDC. My company told me that they are unable to write a letter that includes all information CIC requires. I just need to send all three documents. I am worried that more documents would make my application complicated so I was thinking to include a written explanation letter about the changes of my job responsibilities last year (as I am not sure if HR is able to provide me any other documents)...would that help!?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I don't think you've said whether you are applying as a post-grad with 1 year of experience or a foreign worker with 2 years. It sounds like your responsibilities for your first year might have a different NOC.

You can write a letter of explanation, but if your employer does not provide supporting evidence, it will be difficult for you to succeed.

PCKUMAR

Star Member
Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
4-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
Med's Request
19-06-2013
Med's Done....
28-06-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-08-2013. CIC received on 13-08-2013. Ecas Status changed to "Decision made" on 14-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-08-2013. PP received on 20-08-2013
LANDED..........
24-08-2013
Hi

I am new to this forum. I am planning to apply under CEC in couple of weeks from now. I have the IELTS Score and PCC ready.

I would appreciate if someone can answer the following questions:

1) Whom to address in the Work reference letter. Our company use to address the following in the past, but I see that from May 29, 2012 the address has been changed to CPP-O:
Our company's Reference letter starts as follows:
CANADIAN CONSULATE GENERAL
Immigration Regional Programme Centre
3000 HSBC Center
Buffalo, N.Y. 14203-2884
U.S.A.

Attention: Immigration Section

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Employment Reference Letter for FNAME LNAME

I am writing this letter to confirm that NAME has been employed by XXX as a Consultant on a full-time, continuous basis from YYY to present.

I don't have the correct CPP-Ottawa address. Can somebody provide this information or the following information is enough
Case Processing Pilot – Ottawa
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Attention: Immigration Section

2) My work permit shows the occupation as "COMP ANALYSTS & CONSULTANTS" but my responsibilites are similar to what a software consultant/developer does. I am unable to decide which NOC code(2171 or 2174) to use. Please clarify if anyone is aware of this.

Thanks,

mnjdev

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
Doc's Request.
Biodata form on 13th march
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
RPRF requested on 1st March
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
28-04-2013
Hi Kumar,
1) doesn't matter, just say "To whom it may concern"

2) choosing NOC, based on recent rejections from VO, it seems we need to be very careful in choosing the right code, check your work permit's Occupation and see what is the corresponding NOC and also compare whether that is matching with roles & responsibilities provided by your employer, employer's description plays an important role, I would personally go with NOC matching with my employers description

babybear

Jan 10, 2012
Hi jes_ON,

I am applying as post-grad with 1 year of experience. My first year experience was very similar to the second year except I am in the second-in-command role at the second year. I thought about getting another job description for the first year but it seems silly as the two job description are pretty much identical...the only difference is I am in the assistant manager/supervisor role at the second year.

I will definitely write a letter of explanation. Any suggestions on how I should write the letter!? Thanks a bunch.