+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience NOT mentioned in previous visa applications

mgh2608

May 28, 2014
Hello Forum;

I am a PhD student in Canada since 2010, and am going to apply for permanent residency under fsw. For the matter of work experience, I have 5 years of experience (full time) as the sells manager from 2004 to 2009 (before coming to Canada) in a company at which I am shareholder. This is at the same time that I was student.
In 2009 that I applied for student Visa to come to Canada, I did not mention my work experience. I did provide documents as shareholder of the company but not as an employee. Since I was applying for student visa, I introduced myself as student only.
Now, I was wondering if there is any chance that they check my visa applications and find out any inconsistency. If yes, how I should address this in my PR application to prevent possible rejection.

Thanks or your responds

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - there's certainly a chance CIC will cross reference the two applications. (Your old application is still in the system.) If they do cross reference the applications and find the discrepancy, you'll most likely be refused and could find yourself with a 2 year ban from Canada for misrepresentation (lying in an immigration application).

There's really nothing you can do at this point to address this discrepancy in your application. It's too bad you lied on your student visa application. No way to fix that now...

You'll just have to apply and hope CIC doesn't notice.

mgh2608

May 28, 2014
how serious can it be? how many cases you know that are refused with this situation?

I have part time experience as teacher assistant that adds up to four years (equivalent to 16 months full time), but it is not continuous!!!

That's why I want to use my pre-canada work experience.

what would you do if you were me? can you tell which one is more likely to be rejected?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's very serious because you misrepresented a fact about yourself to gain an immigration benefit (to get the student visa approved). You purposely left out work experience to increase your chances of approval. This is fraud (an immigration crime). If CIC finds the discrepancy - then you should expect they will refuse your application.

I don't know how likely it is that they will find the discrepancy.

I can't tell you what to do.

cabadadream

Nov 16, 2015
I have not included work experience in my student visa (paper application in delhi india) 2014 january although included other part time experience relevant to course however I mentioned the full time experience during post graduate work permit application in canada in 2014 august. Will that be a problem ? will it be cross reference and exclusion of work experience ,due to difficulty of getting experience letter because of HR on leave ,will cause problem. Should I explain it to immigration office or simply not mention it to avoid further scrutiny and delay?

KatiZet

Jun 25, 2019
It's very serious because you misrepresented a fact about yourself to gain an immigration benefit (to get the student visa approved). You purposely left out work experience to increase your chances of approval. This is fraud (an immigration crime). If CIC finds the discrepancy - then you should expect they will refuse your application.

I don't know how likely it is that they will find the discrepancy.

I can't tell you what to do.
Hi! I’m sorry to dig out this really old post like that, but I find myself in a bit - but only a bit! - similar situation and I seek advice from more experienced members, since that forum was extremely helpful for me so far. I have just applied for PR through sponsorship, and since my visitor record is about to expire I’ve just applied for a new one. And here lies the similarity to that thread - on my first application to extend my stay, from February 2019, I honestly forgot to put down one of my employment. I don’t know how could I miss that since I checked my application like ten times before sending. But in my PR application I mentioned that employment, as well as I mentioned it on the new application for extension of my stay in Canada as a visitor. I realized the difference after sending, otherwise I would attach letter of explanation. But now it’s send. On the other hand and For my défense - the missing employment is only 1 day employment from last year, I had a working visa in Canada before, that was my first job, it was basically a one day shift in a restaurant replacing someone, roughly 4 hours... I should have been more careful of course, but I can’t imagine that to be serious mistake (especially that putting or not putting that one day employment wouldn’t have any impact of the immigration decision, it wouldn’t give me any benefit, any priority in the process). All the other jobs are coherent. Should I be very stressed about possible misrepresentation? Or - as I read somewhere on this forum - since I mentioned it on the new application being totally honest it should be ok?

Jasvir1908

Mar 20, 2021
Hi,
I have not included work experience in my student visa (paper application in delhi india) 2014 january although included other part time experience relevant to course however I mentioned the full time experience during post graduate work permit application in canada in 2014 august. Will that be a problem ? will it be cross reference and exclusion of work experience ,due to difficulty of getting experience letter because of HR on leave ,will cause problem. Should I explain it to immigration office or simply not mention it to avoid further scrutiny and delay?
Hi,

May I know what happened to your application? was it through or you faced some query from ircc? kindly revert.

manoj77

Jan 28, 2024
In my previous 2 visitor visa applications in , I did not mention part-time work experience of 6 years and meanwhile I have only showed my study and full time experience. Can I mention my part-time experience now in order to claim points for express entry? Can this be an issue??

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Will that be a problem ? will it be cross reference and exclusion of work experience ,due to difficulty of getting experience letter because of HR on leave ,will cause problem.

Last edited:

Sara25390

Mar 30, 2024
Hey guys, how did things go with you, I am facing the same problem, in fact, I work for 2 companies at the same time, one of them is international with around 80 branches around the world and the other is a small start-up company, I only mentioned the international one in my previous application, i later knew that my job in that small start up company was in a qualifying noc code, therefore I want to claim points for that experience, can I do that ?

wyswyg_38

Feb 8, 2015
Same scenario...are you applying for what visa? Thanks

Hey guys, how did things go with you, I am facing the same problem, in fact, I work for 2 companies at the same time, one of them is international with around 80 branches around the world and the other is a small start-up company, I only mentioned the international one in my previous application, i later knew that my job in that small start up company was in a qualifying noc code, therefore I want to claim points for that experience, can I do that ?