Work Experience Letters

dgo

Mar 2, 2016
I have about 10 years of work experience with 4 different companies
Company 1: 2 years
Company 2: 1.5 years
Company 3: 5 years and 8 months
Company 4: 1 year (current company)

I have mentioned all the above experiences in my EE profile. It would be some work to get a work experience letter from all the previous employers in the prescribed format. I do have work experience from all the employers (Company 1 and 2) with the duration and designation mentioned. And the roles and responsibilities mentioned for Company 3. Is it sufficient if I provide the letters that I have with me or should I have all the letters in the prescribed format?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
dgo said:
I have about 10 years of work experience with 4 different companies
Company 1: 2 years
Company 2: 1.5 years
Company 3: 5 years and 8 months
Company 4: 1 year (current company)

I have mentioned all the above experiences in my EE profile. It would be some work to get a work experience letter from all the previous employers in the prescribed format. I do have work experience from all the employers (Company 1 and 2) with the duration and designation mentioned. And the roles and responsibilities mentioned for Company 3. Is it sufficient if I provide the letters that I have with me or should I have all the letters in the prescribed format?
You get maximum CRS points for 3 years of experience. However, if you qualify under FSW you also need to get a minimum of 67 points on the FSW grid http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-factors.asp for your Express Entry profile to be eligible. On the FSW grid you get maximum points for 6 years of work experience.

So, if you are getting enough CRS points and/or FSW points (minimum 67 points) with 3 years of experience, you can retain only that experience under Work History while you can move the rest to Personal History. You will only need to submit reference letter in the required format for the work experience you are claiming points for. You do not have to submit any documents for the work experience mentioned under Personal History.

dgo

Mar 2, 2016
Thanks! I have the experience letter from my previous employer where I worked for 5.7 years with the roles and responsibilities, duration and designation outlined. However, the letter does not mention the number of hours per week. Is that a concern or can I go ahead and use the experience letter that I have?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
dgo said:
Thanks! I have the experience letter from my previous employer where I worked for 5.7 years with the roles and responsibilities, duration and designation outlined. However, the letter does not mention the number of hours per week. Is that a concern or can I go ahead and use the experience letter that I have?
Number of hours is mandatory. Do you have any other document which has number of hours mentioned in it (offer letter, company policy etc). If yes, then you can submit the existing reference letter along with this/these document(s).

dgo

Mar 2, 2016
Hmm, sadly no other documents which mention the number of hours. Is there a workaround?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
dgo said:
Hmm, sadly no other documents which mention the number of hours. Is there a workaround?
Check this thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/nail-the-challenge-of-getting-reference-letter-from-current-employer-t397796.0.html