+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience letter and Hours

johnpye

Feb 12, 2018
Hi All

I am currently getting my employer to fill out a letter of reference- since I have been at the company I have held two jobs.

Current job - Full time and salary so the all the necessary information is easy to come by. Hours, duties, salary and benefits are all clearly defined

Previous job- This is also clearly documented apart from Hours as this was a flexible job- I have already calculated the full time and fte weeks I have worked and this combined with my current job puts me well over the 52-week limit needed.

My struggle is this- when filling in the information about work history, for each position there is a question that asks for the Hours per week. What figure should I fill in here? And what figure should be employer put in the reference letter for hours?

Thanks All

John

332663Rb!

Star Member
May 23, 2017
Hi All

I am currently getting my employer to fill out a letter of reference- since I have been at the company I have held two jobs.

Current job - Full time and salary so the all the necessary information is easy to come by. Hours, duties, salary and benefits are all clearly defined

Previous job- This is also clearly documented apart from Hours as this was a flexible job- I have already calculated the full time and fte weeks I have worked and this combined with my current job puts me well over the 52-week limit needed.

My struggle is this- when filling in the information about work history, for each position there is a question that asks for the Hours per week. What figure should I fill in here? And what figure should be employer put in the reference letter for hours?

Thanks All

John
Depends. If you work on an average between 35-40, you should say an average of 35-40 hours. If it's 40 hrs a week mention 40 hours a week.

johnpye

Feb 12, 2018
Depends. If you work on an average between 35-40, you should say an average of 35-40 hours. If it's 40 hrs a week mention 40 hours a week.

Yes, but in my mind, the tricky thing is this that that calculation can be performed in numerous ways. Would the correct way to calculate it be this:

Should I add up the total number of hours I have worked every week and then divide by the total number of weeks. worked Whatever that figure works out to be should be the figure that HR use in the letter and I put in work history?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, but in my mind, the tricky thing is this that that calculation can be performed in numerous ways. Would the correct way to calculate it be this:

Should I add up the total number of hours I have worked every week and then divide by the total number of weeks. worked Whatever that figure works out to be should be the figure that HR use in the letter and I put in work history?
The form only allows you to give a single number, so calculating the average that way is a reasonable way to come up with that single number (remember, do not use more than 30 hours per week when calculating this way, however).

But in the letter, you aren't limited to a single number. Your employer can and should describe/explain the facts. For example, "Mr. X's weekly hours varied from 20 - 40 hours per week, depending on available work."

johnpye

Feb 12, 2018
The form only allows you to give a single number, so calculating the average that way is a reasonable way to come up with that single number (remember, do not use more than 30 hours per week when calculating this way, however).

But in the letter, you aren't limited to a single number. Your employer can and should describe/explain the facts. For example, "Mr. X's weekly hours varied from 20 - 40 hours per week, depending on available work."
Ok, thanks for the clarification - Yes this is similar to the process I have followed. Thank you for the clarification

yoshitaas

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Ok, thanks for the clarification - Yes this is similar to the process I have followed. Thank you for the clarification
Hi @johnpye I am in a similar situation. The HR has mentioned "Average hours per week" on my letter, and it says that although I was hired to work a 29 hour week, but my actual working hours are 22.03 per week. Does that sound fine? Did you get the PR when you mentioned average hours per week? Please guide.
Thank you