+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work experience in LMO

junkax

Nov 21, 2009
Hi,

I got a job as a transportation engineer near Toronto. MY employer got a positive LMO response. I applied for visa in India. The High Commission is asking for 8 years of work experience. Apparently there was a mention of 8 years requirement for the position in the LMO, which I was not aware of. The company had submitted my profile with 6 years of work experience. I provided proof of 6 years of work experience in my visa application. My company wrote a letter to consulate, clarifying that though the company website had a mention of 8 years, the actual job advertisement only asked for 5+ years of experience. The consulate is not satisfied with the company's clarification, and is still asking for 8 years experience.

1. Can my employer get Service Canada to change the requirement in the LMO now? If so, will that satisfy the High Commission? How long might it take for Service Canada to make the change?

2. I was planning on including my graduate research experience in US on transportation related projects (I got paid) to bring it up to 8 years (actually 7 years 7 months). Will that work? Is the High Commission picky about the exact number of years and will it complain that I am still 5 months short of 8 years?

I would really appreciate any response to my problem.

thanks!
junkax

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

junkax said:
Hi,

I got a job as a transportation engineer near Toronto. MY employer got a positive LMO response. I applied for visa in India. The High Commission is asking for 8 years of work experience. Apparently there was a mention of 8 years requirement for the position in the LMO, which I was not aware of. The company had submitted my profile with 6 years of work experience. I provided proof of 6 years of work experience in my visa application. My company wrote a letter to consulate, clarifying that though the company website had a mention of 8 years, the actual job advertisement only asked for 5+ years of experience. The consulate is not satisfied with the company's clarification, and is still asking for 8 years experience.

1. Can my employer get Service Canada to change the requirement in the LMO now? If so, will that satisfy the High Commission? How long might it take for Service Canada to make the change?

2. I was planning on including my graduate research experience in US on transportation related projects (I got paid) to bring it up to 8 years (actually 7 years 7 months). Will that work? Is the High Commission picky about the exact number of years and will it complain that I am still 5 months short of 8 years?

I would really appreciate any response to my problem.

thanks!
junkax
1. They are not being "picky" the LMO that was approved said 8 years, so any who applied in Canada with less than 8 years, the company didn't have to consider. So their LMO was approved on that basis. So they either have to go through the whole routine of advertising the position with 6 years for at least 2 weeks on the Job Bank, then reapplying for the LMO. Probably take months. Or you are going to have to prove 8 years of experience, and I bet that Delhi will not consider the experience gained while studying.

PMM

junkax

Nov 21, 2009
thanks PMM!

When I resubmitted my passport in response to work experience request, I provided a letter from the company saying:

Our website posting indicated a requirement of 8 years of work experience, whereas the Job Bank advertisement had the requirement listed as “more than 5 years”. In our LMO application we also provided a profile of Mr. Juvva (including his resume), clearly stating that he had 6 years of related work experience and was by far the most qualified candidate for the position.

What I mean by the consulate being picky is whether they will consider 7 years 7 months of experience to be insufficient since it is still not 8 years.

As for the experience while studying, they were "real" projects, and not just projects within the university, and I got paid for working on the projects. Is there a definite rule that the consulate DOES NOT consider work experience while in school, someone please let me know.

thanks!