+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience in Canada while studying abroad remotely

Apop

Dec 19, 2023
Hi, I would appreciate your help in answering the following question:

If a person is physically present and working in Canada on a work permit (study permit is absent), while remotely pursuing a degree in a university overseas, will the work experience be counted towards CEC? The degree is full-time as stated in the diploma transcript.

There are a few statements on the official website:
  1. Work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count toward the minimum requirements
  2. A period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience
However, I want to understand whether it is related to Canadian full-time studies only or also to remote studies abroad while gaining Canadian work experience.

The thread is to understand what option (yes/no) should be chosen for the question "Studying full time while doing this job" concerning the situation above.

Thank you

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Unless you have completed this education level, and using it to boast your score, I see no reason to declare it. As it would only complicate a simple application. You are here in Canada, on a work permit, working full time.....That's your only option if the studies abroad is not complete, and importantly, not gone through an ECA. There is no reason or benefit for you to mention it.

Apop

Dec 19, 2023
@Chasechs the abroad studies are completed and have gone through ECA. The studies overlap with full-time work in Canada. Therefore I want to understand if Canadian work experience can be counted in this case.

lechat

Feb 25, 2024
@Apop I have the same exact situation, Canadian work experience overlapping with remote foreign full-time studying, did you find out if work experience can be counted towards the score?