+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience/History Problem.

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021
I have applied and received student visa few years back, but due to some unavoidable circumstances I had to cancel my visa and couldn't go to Canada. Now, when I am applying for PR, I have a question.
I already had work experience of 1 year before I applied for my student visa, hence I showed that in my student visa application. But, in that experience letter duties were written bery briefly which does not justify my NOC code. Also, it says that I worked "part-time" (no mention of working hours) because as per my employer 33hrs a week is part-time work as he has other employees working 45+ hours a week. However, he is willing to provide one more experience letter with detailed duties and mention my working hours (33hrs/week).

Should I show this work experience or should I include it in personal history.
(Also, I worked with the same employer for 3 years after that)

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
If you’re not claiming points for it, don’t put it in work history.

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021
If you’re not claiming points for it, don’t put it in work history.
Thank you for your response.
How do I do that? I mean in my experience letter it states the day from which I have started the work. If I put joining date 1 year later in work experience it would not match with my experience letter.

Can I show work experience for 4 year and then write in LOE that I claim points only for 3 years?

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
okay, so your working the same conditions as for that employer since you started? So your employer will write a reference letter stating your 4 year experience under one job position/title or separately - one section for first year and another one for the next 3 years? If the former, declare 4 years and if the latter, you have the option to declare only 3 years, since work experience are usually declared per job title.

I’m not well versed with student permit applications, if NOC and work experience letters are even reviewed in detail. From what I understand is, each application is treated separately and on its own. For PR application, selecting the right NOC is crucial. I would suggest to copy whatever your work experience letter says. If you’re worried that IRCC will look at your previous student application, you can write on it in an LOE. IMO, since your student visa was approved, I don’t think IRCC will look into it much but make sure you declare it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: aditipatel60

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021
okay, so your working the same conditions as for that employer since you started? So your employer will write a reference letter stating your 4 year experience under one job position/title or separately - one section for first year and another one for the next 3 years? If the former, declare for years and if the latter, you have the option to declare only 3 years, since work experience are usually declared per job title.

I’m not well versed with student permit applications, if NOC and work experience letters are even reviewed in detail. From what I understand is, each application is treated separately and on its own. For PR application, selecting the right NOC is crucial. I would suggest to copy whatever your work experience letter says. If you’re worried that IRCC will look at your previous student application, you can write on it in an LOE. IMO, since your student visa was approved, I don’t think IRCC will look into it much but make sure you declare it though.
My employer will write me only 1 letter, from the day I joined till I left the job, and I was under the same title for 3 years. What my employer said was that he is willing to write the number of hours(33hrs/week) which he did not mention in my previous letter and wrote only the word “part-time”. Also he is willing to write detailed duties (which in previous letter he wrote in brief) but he will give me only 1 letter. He is willing to write about pay increments and everything, just that he will give me 1 letter only.

After this I have worked in another institution(2nd employer) for 1.5 years and most probably I will be getting an experience letter from there as well.

My question is, should I show all 3 years of work experience at 1st employer or only 2 years? And if I show 2 years then which date should I mention as the letter will have my original date which I showed in my student visa?

what I am worried is that even if I am getting same point for 3 years and 4.5 years I don’t want RICC to think that I am lying on my work experience because I have earlier showed the work experience and now I am hiding.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
IMO, if your previous employer will only give you one letter and it shows only one position, then declare everything. It’d be weird if your letter says 4 years and your EE profile says 3 years work experience for that employer.

Wait for others to comment.

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021
IMO, if your previous employer will only give you one letter and it shows only one position, then declare everything. It’d be weird if your letter says 4 years and your EE profile says 3 years work experience for that employer.

Wait for others to comment.
Thank you so much for your response.
If You don’t mind I would want to both you a little more.

I was wondering,
1. Can I mention 4 years of work experience and say in LOE that I want to claim point only for 3 years.

2. Can I write in LOE that I worked for 33 hours but because of institutional policies I was considered part time. And then explain that earlier employer had mentioned my duties in brief but now after explaining he was kind enough to write in detail.?

3. mention both the points.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thank you so much for your response.
If You don’t mind I would want to both you a little more.

I was wondering,
1. Can I mention 4 years of work experience and say in LOE that I want to claim point only for 3 years.
It depends which program you're applying for:
a. FSW - you get max points in FSW eligibility grid for 5 years of foreign work experience and in the CRS grid, 3 years of foreign work experience. So when your CRS is calculated, 1 year is not counted but for the sake of meeting the FSW eligibility grid, you may need to declare 4 years.
b. CEC - max CRS points for 5 years of Canadian work experience.
The system automatically calculates your points. I've never heard of deducting points via LOE, I don't think it works that way. Only IRCC can deduct points once they verify your documents during eligibility assessment.

2. Can I write in LOE that I worked for 33 hours but because of institutional policies I was considered part time. And then explain that earlier employer had mentioned my duties in brief but now after explaining he was kind enough to write in detail.?
IRCC considers 30 hours per week for 52 weeks as full time, it doesn't count any hours in excess of 30 . So, I think regardless what your employer states -- full/part time -- as long are your hours per week is stated, IRCC will consider it as full time.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

3. mention both the points.
You can mention point #2 for your own peace of mind, not sure on #1.

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021

I am applying for FSW and from what I read on RICC's website it get maximum points for 3 years, anything more than that, they don't care. Just that can I or can I not mention 4 years of work experience and write in LOE that I claim points for only 3 of them?

And thank you, I will mention 2nd point, as you said for the sake of my peace of mind.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
I am applying for FSW and from what I read on RICC's website it get maximum points for 3 years, anything more than that, they don't care. Just that can I or can I not mention 4 years of work experience and write in LOE that I claim points for only 3 of them?

And thank you, I will mention 2nd point, as you said for the sake of my peace of mind.
you have to meet the eligibility requirements FIRST before even calculating your CRS. That’s why I mentioned 5 years (should be 6 years, my mistake) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

Meaning you have to get at least 67 points to be eligible for FSW. To reach 67 points, an applicant may have to declare more than 3 years of foreign work experience, even if CRS only considers 3 years max. So make sure you meet both requirements before even considering removing 1 year. The 1 year you’re trying to remove won’t matter in your CRS (since you have 3 years remaining), but it will matter on your FSW eligibility points. hope this makes sense.

Now that I thought about it, I’d say declare it all. No need to write LOE. IRCC will make the determination when they recalculate your eligibility and CRS points anyways, let them decide. If your eligibility points would still be above 67 even if IRCC deducts 1 year from your work experience, you should be fine.

aditipatel60

Jan 1, 2021
you have to meet the eligibility requirements FIRST before even calculating your CRS. That’s why I mentioned 5 years (should be 6 years, my mistake) https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

Meaning you have to get at least 67 points to be eligible for FSW. To reach 67 points, an applicant may have to declare more than 3 years of foreign work experience, even if CRS only considers 3 years max. So make sure you meet both requirements before even considering removing 1 year. The 1 year you’re trying to remove won’t matter in your CRS (since you have 3 years remaining), but it will matter on your FSW eligibility points. hope this makes sense.

Now that I thought about it, I’d say declare it all. No need to write LOE. IRCC will make the determination when they recalculate your eligibility and CRS points anyways, let them decide. If your eligibility points would still be above 67 even if IRCC deducts 1 year from your work experience, you should be fine.
You know, You are right. I mean, why am even thinking all this. I will write up everything as it is and explain the timeline as well as turn of events in LOE, let them do whatever they deem fit. As such I am not going to get any extra point for working 1 additional year.
Thank you so much for your time and prompt responses.