+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience gained during studies will be counted or not (Outside Canada)

luckyx27

Star Member
Apr 11, 2017
It is very confusing now. Some threads were suggesting not to mention work experience gained during full time studies whilst some are saying we can include and can increase the CRS points.
I am on the same boat and would like to get an expert opinion on this. Would be highly appreciated if someone can answer.

I have total 3 years of experience. However, 2 years out of that were during my MBA in the UK on student visa. Though it is clearly mentioned on my reference letter that I worked 30 hours per week on average which means some time 50 hrs/week and sometimes it 20 hrs/week(Part time is also mentioned). Will that be fine or no?

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
luckyx27 said:
It is very confusing now. Some threads were suggesting not to mention work experience gained during full time studies whilst some are saying we can include and can increase the CRS points.
I am on the same boat and would like to get an expert opinion on this. Would be highly appreciated if someone can answer.

I have total 3 years of experience. However, 2 years out of that were during my MBA in the UK on student visa. Though it is clearly mentioned on my reference letter that I worked 30 hours per week on average which means some time 50 hrs/week and sometimes it 20 hrs/week(Part time is also mentioned). Will that be fine or no?
Foreign work experience gained at the same time as education is acceptable. The only problem I foresee with yours is that it may be illegal experience as the student visa only allows you to work 20hrs per week. Whether the Immigration Officers consider that or not, I don't know.

All the best

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
luckyx27 said:

Well, when you fill in the work experience in your profile, the initial sentence says, "Do not write work experience you have gained while being enrolled in study"

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
jpv2212 said:
Well, when you fill in the work experience in your profile, the initial sentence says, "Do not write work experience you have gained while being enrolled in study"
This is in reference to Canadian work experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
luckyx27 said:

Hey, just found this. I think it might help you.
Please check it out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
jpv2212 said:
Hey, just found this. I think it might help you.
Please check it out.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6
From that link its ok as far as it is foreign work experience

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
"You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit."
From CIC website. It doesn't say foreign or Canadian education.

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
sandra02 said:
"You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student. Your work experience must have been gained while on a valid work permit, such as the Post-Graduation Work Permit."
From CIC website. It doesn't say foreign or Canadian education.
It is for Canadian experience as the instruction is given under Canadian work experience, there is a separate section for foreign work experience in the ministerial instruction.

"Canadian work experience

(3) For the purposes of this section, Canadian work experience is work experience that

(a) is acquired by a foreign national in Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
(b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
(c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under subsection (1); and
(d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission.

Requirements

(4) In order to be assigned points under subsection (1) for their Canadian work experience, a foreign national

(a) must specify in their expression of interest the four-digit code in the National Occupational Classification that corresponds to each of the occupations they have engaged in while accumulating their Canadian work experience; and
(b) must have performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, as well as a substantial number of the main duties, including all essential duties, as set out in the National Occupational Classification.

Full-time work

(5) For the purposes of this section, full-time work consists of at least 30 hours of work per week.
Work in excess

(6) For the purposes of this section, a period of work experience that exceeds full-time work in one occupation, or simultaneous periods of work experience in more than one full-time occupation, are to be evaluated as a single period of full-time work experience in a single occupation.
Work experience — requirements

(7) For the purposes of this section,

(a) a period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(b) a period of self-employment or unauthorized work is not to be included in calculating a period of work experience;
(c) the foreign national must have had temporary resident status during their period of work experience and any period of full-time study or training; and
(d) the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience is 30 hours of work per week."

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
This is the full instruction for foreign work experience which make no mention of experience gained while studying:

"Foreign work experience

25. (1) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, foreign work experience is work experience that

(a) is acquired by a foreign national outside Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
(b) consists of full-time work experience, or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience, with one or more employers;
(c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under section 23 or subsection 24(1); and
(d) is remunerated by the payment of wages or a commission.

Requirements

(2) In order to be assigned points under section 23 or 24 for their foreign work experience, a foreign national

(a) must specify in their expression of interest the four-digit code in the National Occupational Classification that corresponds to each of the occupations they have engaged in while accumulating their foreign work experience; and
(b) must have performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, as well as a substantial number of the main duties, including all essential duties, as set out in the National Occupational Classification.

Full-time work

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(b), full-time work consists of at least 30 hours of work per week.
Work in excess

(4) For the purposes of sections 23 and 24, a period of work experience that exceeds full-time work in one occupation, or simultaneous periods of work experience in more than one full-time occupation, are to be evaluated as a single period of full-time work experience in a single occupation."

Sorry for the long quote.

Reactions: rahul m and sam3218

harizme

Dec 3, 2017
Hi...

What about foreign part time work experience during studies.??
I have part time experience of 15 hours per week during my 3 year full time degree studies in India..
Will it be counted ?

Thanks

vaishnavi

Jun 18, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
IELTS Request
07-04-2018
Med's Done....
22-05-2018
Passport Req..
30-07-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Hi...

What about foreign part time work experience during studies.??
I have part time experience of 15 hours per week during my 3 year full time degree studies in India..
Will it be counted ?

Thanks
Yes provided it comes under NOC O ,A or B category and you have experience letter from your employer regarding Pay and tax forms.

ankit190389

May 18, 2018
Do someone have previous experience of the situation i have.
1. I did my bachelor(B.tech) from 2007-2011 regular fulltime
2. After that i joined for master( m.tech) in August 2012 regular fulltime (2012-14)
3. Later I got full time job as a developer during my m.tech( Dec 2012 to present)

So how will i show my experience from Dec 2012 as full time and also m.tech full time(2012-14). What will be the process. Can someone help me on this faced similar situation and got PR with express entry canada. Thanks in advance.

huzaifa216

Dec 21, 2017
2. After that i joined for master( m.tech) in August 2012 regular fulltime (2012-14)
3. Later I got full time job as a developer during my m.tech( Dec 2012 to present)

So how will i show my experience from Dec 2012 as full time and also m.tech full time(2012-14). What will be the process. Can someone help me on this faced similar situation and got PR with express entry canada. Thanks in advance.
Please someone answer , how to show the experience
in my situation
1. I did my B.tech from (06/2008 - 06/2012) Regular Full Time
2. Got a job Assistant Professor ( 07/2012 )
3. Later i joined for masters (M.tech) im 08 /2013 - 12/2015
4. and Resign the job at 03/2015

5. so my total experience = Full time + with Studies time or Part time
= 1 Year 1 month + 1 Year 7 months
Total Experience = 2 Years + 8 Months

Now how to show the total Experience while filling up the form of Express Entry

Thanks

ankit190389

May 18, 2018
Please someone answer , how to show the experience
in my situation
1. I did my B.tech from (06/2008 - 06/2012) Regular Full Time
2. Got a job Assistant Professor ( 07/2012 )
3. Later i joined for masters (M.tech) im 08 /2013 - 12/2015
4. and Resign the job at 03/2015

5. so my total experience = Full time + with Studies time or Part time
= 1 Year 1 month + 1 Year 7 months
Total Experience = 2 Years + 8 Months

Now how to show the total Experience while filling up the form of Express Entry

Thanks
Well i did a lot of research and specifically for canada, everyone suggested it acceptable till u can prove its not a fraudulent. You can show all the appointment letter, reference letter everything related to your job which leds you to prove same. And obviously you must had evaluated your academic qualification.

Jun 23, 2020

Hey, I've got the work experience and masters degree same like you. I was working while still doing my MBA.
Does that count as work experience if i wanted to apply for a PR through express entry program ?
Please share your experience !!!