+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work experience from multiple employers

Bree667401

Jul 9, 2020
Hi there,
I am trying to gather my documents and prepare for my application. I have 7 months work experience with a previous employer (I dont think they got an LMIA) and am starting a new job now with the same NOC code. What documentation do i need to supply for my previous employer? and do I need my new employer to get an LMIA?

thankyou!!!!

Bree667401

Jul 9, 2020
Sorry, I am currently in Canada on the Working Holiday Permit. I haven't started the application process yet, just trying to find out what I need from my previous employer.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Your employer would need an LMIA if they wanted you to keep working for them beyond the expiry of your current working holiday, which is an open work permit.
You would need a 'work experience letter' from your previous employer listing your start and end dates, hours/week, salary, benefits, if any, and a detailed job description that must overlap substantially with the NOC description of that position. You'll need the same from every employer if you are claiming CRS points for that work.

Bree667401

Jul 9, 2020
Thankyou! That's really helpful.
So my employer would still need to get an LMIA even if I got approved for PR?

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If you became a PR before your current WP expires then you wouldn't need an LMIA or any permission to work or do anything you wanted to in Canada. If your current status expires before your PR is approved then you would either have a BOWP while your PR is in process or you might need an LMIA-based work permit. Depends on the timing.