+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience during Full time Study

SalmanSP

Feb 13, 2018
Hi All

Good Day

I will be submitting my EE profile soon and have queries on claiming crs points on my work experience.

I started working after my 10+2 and gathered a full time continuous work experience of 7.5 yrs from a reputed MNC while studying my full time engineering course (4 years) and full time MBA course (2 years). Currently my total work experience is 9.5 years however 6 years is overlapping with my studies and 1 year is before my engineering.

Please advise if I can mention total 9.5 years of my work experience and claim points?
Will CIC consider the full time experience gathered during full time study?
Can I claim my work experience of 1 year which I gathered before my engineering (NOC 6551 - Eligibility requirements in CIC state "Completion of secondary school is required" which I met before stating this role) ?

Thank you in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Please advise if I can mention total 9.5 years of my work experience and claim points?

So, understand you have to qualify both for FSW and for EE.

To qualify for FSW - you need to get a score of 67 points or more; you attain maximum points with 6 years of work experience.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html

For EE, you get the maximum CRS points for foreign work experience with 3 years.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

So, you do not need to prove all 9 years...

Will CIC consider the full time experience gathered during full time study?

Yes (as long as it is not in-Canada experience).

Can I claim my work experience of 1 year which I gathered before my engineering (NOC 6551 - Eligibility requirements in CIC state "Completion of secondary school is required" which I met before stating this role) ?

Yes, if you were not employed as an engineer. You would not be expected to be employed as an engineer until after you get the degree.

HOWEVER - you indicate the NOC 6551 - this is not eligible, because it is not skilled (Skilled includes only NOC Level O, A, or B - see the NOC Matrix to determine skill level)
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/Matrix2016.aspx?ver=16

So, you should not include any experience in your profile that is not skilled.

SalmanSP

Feb 13, 2018
@jes_ON :

Thank you so much for replying to my query. I am actually quiet happy, as it seems, that there is no specific policy at CIC in FSW Program on Foreign Full Time Work Experience attained during full time studies.

I have been exploring this forum and have been chatting with other people on this. Unfortunately different people have different views. Few say that only one can be considered either studies or work. Some say that although you have a full time work experience during full time study, your full time work experience will be cut down to half as you were also studying then. Some even say that application will be rejected. I am struggling to get a clear information on this. I also had chat with few consultants in my city (Hyderabad, India) who also have mixed reviews. :-/

Upon checking CIC website (Express Entry Manuals under "Publications and Manuals" section :

FSW : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/selection-criteria-work-experience.html

CEC : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html )

I found a clear reference for CEC program " Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

However I could not find any such clear reference for FSW Program.

I am unsure what to do as it seems it might work out and it might not work out as well or do I wait until I have 3 years of clean work experience without any other activity. Just to give you a brief about my experience and studies

2008-2009 - NOC 6551 - Cannot count as it does not fall under '0','A','B'
2009 - 2011 - NOC 6551 + Engineering (Full time) - Cannot count as it does not fall under '0','A','B'
2011 - 2013 - NOC 2283 + Engineering (Full time) - 2 years work +studies
2013 - 2014 - NOC 2283 - 1 year only work
2014- 2016 - NOC 2283 + MBA (Full time) - 2 years work +studies
2016 - 2018 (till date) - NOC 2171 - 1.5 years only work

I am looking forward for your valuable suggestions and advise.

PS : Sorry for such long post

ankit190389

May 18, 2018
Do someone have previous experience of the situation i have.
1. I did my bachelor(B.tech) from 2007-2011 regular fulltime
2. After that i joined for master( m.tech) in August 2012 regular fulltime (2012-14)
3. Later I got full time job as a developer during my m.tech( Dec 2012 to present)

So how will i show my experience from Dec 2012 as full time and also m.tech full time(2012-14). What will be the process. Can someone help me on this faced similar situation and got PR with express entry canada. Thanks in advance.

a3k1993

Mar 29, 2019
Hi bro, were you able to find out the answer for this. Because my education and work experience are at the same time and i need to.know if i will be able to claim ponts for both in FSW

cadgijoe

May 1, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
03-08-2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
Med's Done....
23-07-2018
Passport Req..
18-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2019
LANDED..........
21-05-2019
This is for those who are searching for answer and proof. The answer above by @jes_ON is perfect. Proof: I and other people I know have received PPR.

Sim0129

Nov 5, 2019
I completed my MBA in 2018 and i Was working fulltime too while i was doing my masters. I appeared for just exams in my MBA and rest of the time i was doing job as well in the same field. My degree says full time or rather it does not say part time/distance. Can i show my work exp for those 2 years i was doing MBA forExpress entry and saskatchewan pnp?

nri7777

Nov 2, 2019
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
23-12-2019
I completed my MBA in 2018 and i Was working fulltime too while i was doing my masters. I appeared for just exams in my MBA and rest of the time i was doing job as well in the same field. My degree says full time or rather it does not say part time/distance. Can i show my work exp for those 2 years i was doing MBA forExpress entry and saskatchewan pnp?
yes you can claim points for your work experience as long as it was full time and paid you are good to go. Also you can explain the same in LOE.

Sim0129

Nov 5, 2019
yes you can claim points for your work experience as long as it was full time and paid you are good to go. Also you can explain the same in LOE.
Thank you so much. If i do that, i would have enough points for sinp.

agamsingh3279

Feb 15, 2020
@jes_ON :

Thank you so much for replying to my query. I am actually quiet happy, as it seems, that there is no specific policy at CIC in FSW Program on Foreign Full Time Work Experience attained during full time studies.

I have been exploring this forum and have been chatting with other people on this. Unfortunately different people have different views. Few say that only one can be considered either studies or work. Some say that although you have a full time work experience during full time study, your full time work experience will be cut down to half as you were also studying then. Some even say that application will be rejected. I am struggling to get a clear information on this. I also had chat with few consultants in my city (Hyderabad, India) who also have mixed reviews. :-/

Upon checking CIC website (Express Entry Manuals under "Publications and Manuals" section :

FSW : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/selection-criteria-work-experience.html

CEC : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html )

I found a clear reference for CEC program " Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."

However I could not find any such clear reference for FSW Program.

I am unsure what to do as it seems it might work out and it might not work out as well or do I wait until I have 3 years of clean work experience without any other activity. Just to give you a brief about my experience and studies

2008-2009 - NOC 6551 - Cannot count as it does not fall under '0','A','B'
2009 - 2011 - NOC 6551 + Engineering (Full time) - Cannot count as it does not fall under '0','A','B'
2011 - 2013 - NOC 2283 + Engineering (Full time) - 2 years work +studies
2013 - 2014 - NOC 2283 - 1 year only work
2014- 2016 - NOC 2283 + MBA (Full time) - 2 years work +studies
2016 - 2018 (till date) - NOC 2171 - 1.5 years only work

I am looking forward for your valuable suggestions and advise.

PS : Sorry for such long post
Did you get your pr???????

PAT27

May 2, 2020
Hello Guys!

I have 2 years of master's degree which is equivalent to Canada's one year postgraduate diploma .
Also,I have 2 years of full time paid work experience during same full time masters.
In total I have 4 years of work experience.(including above 2 years mentioned)

Can I get points considering both" work experience as well as postgraduate diploma education ".
Has anybody been in same situation and applied for Canadian Express entry and got Succesfull PR ?
Thanks in advance.

PAT27

May 2, 2020
@dan_and thanks for the quick response.

But I think I was not able to explain my situation precisely.let me explain in brief :
My education and work-experience background :

2011-2015 : B.tech
July 2015- July 2016 : 1st IT company(Testing profile)
July 2016- June 2018 : Full time Mba
Also,July 2016 -july 2019 :2nd IT company(BA profile)
Finally August 2019- present :3rd IT company.

My question is Can I include BOTH my Full time mba (wes evaluated it as 1year postgraduate diploma)
And work experience of 2nd IT company .

If yes, I have 3years or more work exp.
If no, I'll still have to wait for 1more year to complete 3 years(i.e. 1st IT company + 3rd IT company)

Please guide me.
Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation and Got a successful PR.
Thanks in advance.

Rupinder93

May 23, 2018
@dan_and thanks for the quick response.

But I think I was not able to explain my situation precisely.let me explain in brief :
My education and work-experience background :

2011-2015 : B.tech
July 2015- July 2016 : 1st IT company(Testing profile)
July 2016- June 2018 : Full time Mba
Also,July 2016 -july 2019 :2nd IT company(BA profile)
Finally August 2019- present :3rd IT company.

My question is Can I include BOTH my Full time mba (wes evaluated it as 1year postgraduate diploma)
And work experience of 2nd IT company .

If yes, I have 3years or more work exp.
If no, I'll still have to wait for 1more year to complete 3 years(i.e. 1st IT company + 3rd IT company)

Please guide me.
Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation and Got a successful PR.
Thanks in advance.
Hey i was simply going through this page ..if you are struggling with points..you can go for eca from other agency ..you may get additional points if you get one year master

Singh.manni

Jun 1, 2014
Hey i was simply going through this page ..if you are struggling with points..you can go for eca from other agency ..you may get additional points if you get one year master
Hi, I have got a similar situation too, MBA: 2017-2019 batch and working full time since 2017 - till today (02 different MNCs).
What should I do? did you get any confirmation? or probably any update on your profile? Please help!