+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience "Continuous" doubt

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
I don't quite understand the continuous aspect of the work experience definition for FSW ?

I have around 6 years of paid skill level A experience.

24 months of part time NOC 4012 +
3 months of full time NOC 2173 +
30 months of part time NOC 4012 +
6 months of part time NOC 4012

Is it possible to count this cumulatively as (60 months part time + 6 months full time = 3.5 years of skill level A experience) ? Or might there be some continuity issues around this ?

See below for the official FSW work experience wording.

Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same job,
within the last 10 years, and
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Full Time
30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time
15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
Thanks for your time !

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
deadbird said:
I don't quite understand the continuous aspect of the work experience definition for FSW ?

I have around 6 years of paid skill level A experience.

24 months of part time NOC 4012 +
30 months of part time NOC 4012 +
6 months of part time NOC 4012

Is it possible to count this cumulatively as (60 months part time + 6 months full time = 3.5 years of skill level A experience) ? Or might there be some continuity issues around this ?

See below for the official FSW work experience wording.

Thanks for your time !
By continuous, IRCC (CIC) is referring to continuous in one job. So, in your case you meet the continuous requirement in 2 cases separately.
- 24 months of part time NOC 4012 (effectively 12 months/1 year)
- 30 months of part time NOC 4012 (effectively 15 months/ 1 year 3 months)

The above two meet the minimum requirement with regard work experience, but they are not continuous. But if you have to cumulatively calculate your total work experience you can combine all as 3.5 years. Based on your experience your primary NOC has to be 4012.

Please see below the basis for FSW work experience calculation.

Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:
- adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
- 15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.

Note: Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.

ImmiToCanada

Mar 2, 2014
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-03-2016
Yes, Stanlee provides a correct picture of your case. Please find the official page for details http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp?letterNum=6

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I have a doubt in the same subject.
CIC considers as part-time a journey of 15hrs/week.
What if my part-time job was 20hrs/week?

In my case I worked:

- From Oct.2012 to Dec.2014 as part-time (27 months - 20hrs/week)
- Jan.2015 to present (16 months - full-time)

Always working for the same company. How may I calculate my experience time?
I will probably be applying at the begin of July, so will have 18 months of full-time job.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
smlrch said:
Hi everyone,

I have a doubt in the same subject.
CIC considers as part-time a journey of 15hrs/week.
What if my part-time job was 20hrs/week?

In my case I worked:

- From Oct.2012 to Dec.2014 as part-time (15 months - 20hrs/week)
- Jan.2015 to present (16 months - full-time)

Always working for the same company. How may I calculate my time experience?
I will probably be applying at the begin of July, so will have 18 months of full-time job.
For part-time job, only 15 hours work experience would be considered, even if you have worked for 20 hours a week. So in your case the cumulative work experience would be 7.5 months of part time plus 1 year 4 months of full-time experience.

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Stanlee. Actually I wrote this wrongly, it was 27 months of part-time job.

I thought that for part-time CIC would consider the actual hours worked, for example: 78 weeks of 20hrs/week = 1560hrs.
Is that wrong?

What if I prove that during that time I had another part-time job that was 10hrs/week?
Will that count as 30hrs(20+10) / week?

Thanks again.

smlrch

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another question,
to count as Work Experience is it necessary to be under the same NOC during all the time I have worked ?

for exemple in deadbird's case, he has 2 NOCs during his working time.

Thanks in advance.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
smlrch said:
Thanks Stanlee. Actually I wrote this wrongly, it was 27 months of part-time job.

I thought that for part-time CIC would consider the actual hours worked, for example: 78 weeks of 20hrs/week = 1560hrs.
Is that wrong?

What if I prove that during that time I had another part-time job that was 10hrs/week?
Will that count as 30hrs(20+10) / week?

Thanks again.
There is a statement which says '30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job'.

The statement with regard to part-time job is not clear when it comes to two part-time jobs in the same week. If we have to go by the spirit of the statement, then you can combine 20 hours and 10 hours to come up to 30 hours a week. But, if they are going to go by the logic that for part-time it should be minimum 15 hours/week, then in that case the second part-time work will not count as it is only 10 hours.

smlrch said:
Another question,
to count as Work Experience is it necessary to be under the same NOC during all the time I have worked ?

for exemple in deadbird's case, he has 2 NOCs during his working time.

Thanks in advance.
No, it is not necessary that you should have worked only under the same NOC. But to meet the minimum requirement, you should have worked at least for 1 year (12 months) in a single NOC under skill type 0, A or B. The primary NOC should meet this requirement.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Stanlee said:
By continuous, IRCC (CIC) is referring to continuous in one job. So, in your case you meet the continuous requirement in 2 cases separately.
- 24 months of part time NOC 4012 (effectively 12 months/1 year)
- 30 months of part time NOC 4012 (effectively 15 months/ 1 year 3 months)

The above two meet the minimum requirement with regard work experience, but they are not continuous. But if you have to cumulatively calculate your total work experience you can combine all as 3.5 years. Based on your experience your primary NOC has to be 4012.

Please see below the basis for FSW work experience calculation.

Calculating work experience for FSW

Work experience can be calculated by:
- adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours/37.5 hours per week in more than one part-time job,
- 15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 (Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.

Note: Work in excess of 30 hours/37.5 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.
Thanks. That's super helpful!

What is a primary NOC and how is it determined ? I would ideally like my primary NOC to be 2713 ( Software Engineer ), since I want to work as a Software Engineer in the future. Are there any issues with having certain NOC codes over others ?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stanlee said:
For part-time job, only 15 hours work experience would be considered, even if you have worked for 20 hours a week. So in your case the cumulative work experience would be 7.5 months of part time plus 1 year 4 months of full-time experience.
Incorrect. Full time is equal to or more than hours/week, you don't get extra credit beyond 30. Part time is on actuals - 24 hours/week is 80% full time equivalent while 15 hours/week is 50% full time equivalent and 3 hours/week is 10% full time equivalent.

Reactions: valorbeat

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Incorrect. Full time is equal to or more than hours/week, you don't get extra credit beyond 30. Part time is on actuals - 24 hours/week is 80% full time equivalent while 15 hours/week is 50% full time equivalent and 3 hours/week is 10% full time equivalent.
Thanks for correcting, Asivad!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Bumping this up again. What is a primary NOC and how is it determined ? Are there any pros and cons between one NOC and the other of the same skill type?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deadbird said:
Bumping this up again. What is a primary NOC and how is it determined ? Are there any pros and cons between one NOC and the other of the same skill type?
Choose as Primary that NOC wherein you have the most experience within the last 10 years. Primary NOC is used for calculating your FSW score. You get work experience points on FSW grid based on your Primary NOC.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Choose as Primary that NOC wherein you have the most experience within the last 10 years. Primary NOC is used for calculating your FSW score. You get work experience points on FSW grid based on your Primary NOC.
Sorry, but I am still not getting it. If my experience has been in two NOC codes 4012 and 2173, both of which are Skill Type A; does it matter which is the primary NOC ? You get the same points because the skill type is A, correct ?

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
In other words if I have a primary NOC (4012) and a secondary NOC (2173), I can tally up work experience as the sum of work experiences of NOC 4012 + NOC 2173, correct ?
In which case how does it matter what the primary NOC is?