+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Confusion

ary123

Feb 27, 2017
I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in 2015. I have one year skilled work experience but I am confused if my work experience will count as 1 year or not because of the following.
All my grades had released by April 30. I applied for Post Graduate Work permit on May 15. I started working full time from May 1- April 30. I had Off- Campus Work Permit until August 2015 but I didn't have my Post Grad Work permit until Oct 2016. I am aware that once you have applied for PGWP your work experience counts for CEC but what about the time before you apply for PGWP and after you have finished your degree? Will my work count as 1 year?

venintor

Apr 7, 2017
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pls help, someone. This is also one question troubling me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ary123 said:
I graduated with a Bachelors Degree in 2015. I have one year skilled work experience but I am confused if my work experience will count as 1 year or not because of the following.
All my grades had released by April 30. I applied for Post Graduate Work permit on May 15. I started working full time from May 1- April 30. I had Off- Campus Work Permit until August 2015 but I didn't have my Post Grad Work permit until Oct 2016. I am aware that once you have applied for PGWP your work experience counts for CEC but what about the time before you apply for PGWP and after you have finished your degree? Will my work count as 1 year?
well maybe i am not the only one confused by the dates in your post. You graduated april 30 2015 ? You applied for pgwp may 15 2015 ? You didnt get your pgwp until oct 2016 17 months later ?

Once you finished your course until you applied for a pgwp i do not think you should have worked so that time should not count as the off campus permit assumes you are in education. Any work whilst studying does not count either but maybe clarify the dates, even the full time dates may 1 - april 30 do not make sense , which year 2015 to 2016 ?

Maybe i have completely misread the whole post hence confusion.

ary123

Feb 27, 2017
Typo: I finished my courses in April 2015. I applied for PGWP on May 15, 2015. I received my work permit in October 2015. They took 5 months to process my PGWP. I worked full time from May 1 2015- April 30, 2016. Will that be one year?

ary123

Feb 27, 2017
I will clarify the dates again.
1) Examination grades released/Courses finished: April 29.2015.
2) Study Permit and Work Permit valid until: August 5, 2015.
3) Applied for PGWP: May 15, 2015.
4) Full time job: May 1, 2015- April 30, 2016.
5) PG Work Permit approved on: Oct 7, 2015.
Will my job from May 1,2015- April 30, 2016 count as one year?

venintor

Apr 7, 2017
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello ary123,

This is an really contradictory question you've posted. Sorry that I couldn't help.

As stated, your work started after you've completed your studies. No wonder few people wait for a while, looking for jobs before they file for their work permit as that gives them extra time on implied status in case there is a denial on PGWP. But as stated by CIC rules, a student will be eligible to work fulltime once they have applied for their PGWP. So, the 5 month wait time while processing your application does give you right to work. But the time between your graduation and the day you've applied for your work permit is still a question. If you are fine waiting for your one year experience to count from the day after one year you've applied for your PGWP, you can wait but if that one month is crucial, you rather consult an immigration expert who can advise better.

I hope we'll get a better answer from other members with more knowledge on this.

someone please help us with this confusion.

ary123

Feb 27, 2017
Thank you for responding. The problem is I didn't do a Skilled job after that. I am working at another job (Higher wages) but it's not skilled! I applied for Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program and I am waiting for the nomination. I also applied through Express Entry and got invited to apply through CEC. I submitted my PR application through Express Entry last week. I wish I could get PR through Express Entry. It will save me a lot of time. If Express Entry doesn't work out, then I have MPNP to rely on. One more question, how much time does it take for them to reject an application, if I am not eligible?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ary123 said:
As you recognize, the definition of work that is authorized vs. eligible under the CEC class are not exactly the same. Work experience completd while you have student status is not eligible under the CEC class, even though you may be eligible to apply for the PGWP while you are still a student. So the question is, when do you stop being a student?

In many or most cases, that is the date that you graduate (e.g. the date printed on your certificate/diploma/degree) - you have not indicated this date.

In some cases, however, there is a significant gap between the date the credential is awarded, and the end of the last semester in which you are enrolled as student. In that case, the last day of your final semester of enrollment may be used, you can get a letter from the registrar of your institution attesting to your dates of enrollment.

Whichever of those two dates are earlier, you can consider to be your last day of being a student. Work experience after that (as long as it is authorized) can be counted.

Having said this, it is entirely possible that the VO will accept May 1 in your case, it will depend on what documents you provided etc. If your application is deemed complete and put into processing, however, it could take quite some time for a VO to make a final decision on your dates/eligibility.

It is unfortunate that you were not able to work a couple of extra weeks in that job to give yourself a "buffer" -

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ary123 said:
The date on my degree is May 26,2015. However, my grades had released on April 29, 2015
I have no idea what the significance of having "grades released" is, but in my opinion, your status was "student" up to and including May 26. But I wish you luck -