+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience computation

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Hi all,

I am confused regarding how many years of work experience can I count.

I started working as a paralegal (NOC 4211) on 22nd Nov 2014 for employer 1 and left the company on 1st Sep 2016. That makes one year and 9 months of continuous employment.

On 12th Sep 2016 I started a new job as a fully qualified lawyer (NOC 4112) at employer 2. I left the job on May 20th 2018. That makes one year and 8 months of employment.

My question is, since 1 year and 9 months + 1 year and 8 months result in more than 3 years of work experience, when I create my Express Entry profile can I claim 3 years of work experience? Even if both jobs relate to a different NOC and even if there is a gap of 12 days between the first job and the second one ?

If I cannot count 3 years, I was thinking that maybe I could classify my first employment as Articling Law Student (same NOC as lawyer, 4112), as my duties were basically the same as a lawyer with the exception that I could not sign on lawsuits. In this regard, I cannot say that in the first job I was a qualified lawyer because I had not registered myself at the Bar Association. However, in my country there is no need to take an apprenticeship program after graduating from law school in order to become a member of the Bar Association (I just didn’t register right after graduation because I was lazy). Therefore, I was wondering whether I could claim that my first job title was “Articling Law Student”. What do you think?

Many thanks for your help

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I am confused regarding how many years of work experience can I count.

I started working as a paralegal (NOC 4211) on 22nd Nov 2014 for employer 1 and left the company on 1st Sep 2016. That makes one year and 9 months of continuous employment.

On 12th Sep 2016 I started a new job as a fully qualified lawyer (NOC 4112) at employer 2. I left the job on May 20th 2018. That makes one year and 8 months of employment.

My question is, since 1 year and 9 months + 1 year and 8 months result in more than 3 years of work experience, when I create my Express Entry profile can I claim 3 years of work experience? Even if both jobs relate to a different NOC and even if there is a gap of 12 days between the first job and the second one ?

If I cannot count 3 years, I was thinking that maybe I could classify my first employment as Articling Law Student (same NOC as lawyer, 4112), as my duties were basically the same as a lawyer with the exception that I could not sign on lawsuits. In this regard, I cannot say that in the first job I was a qualified lawyer because I had not registered myself at the Bar Association. However, in my country there is no need to take an apprenticeship program after graduating from law school in order to become a member of the Bar Association (I just didn’t register right after graduation because I was lazy). Therefore, I was wondering whether I could claim that my first job title was “Articling Law Student”. What do you think?

Many thanks for your help
Let's see...
-Job 1: 22 Nov.'14 ==> 1st Sept. 16. 1 year 9 months. This satisfies 1 year continuous work requirement minimum in one same NOC. OK. From here on, you can add any work experience towards your point count, as long as you have reference letters for each job.
-Break of 11 days: That's okay, because the continuous work XP requirement is only for the first year. So no problem here.
-Job 2: 12 Sept.'16==>20th May '18. 1 year 8 months.

Total is 3 years 5 months.

So yes, you'll get points for 3 years worth of work experience, despite your break between jobs. Like I said, the continuity requirement is a must only for the 1st year minimum. As long as you have that, you can add whatever work experiences you want towards your point count. But do make sure to provide work reference letter for each position.

You're good here. Not need to change anything regarding your NOC.

Fai126

Sep 18, 2018
Let's see...
-Job 1: 22 Nov.'14 ==> 1st Sept. 16. 1 year 9 months. This satisfies 1 year continuous work requirement minimum in one same NOC. OK. From here on, you can add any work experience towards your point count, as long as you have reference letters for each job.
-Break of 11 days: That's okay, because the continuous work XP requirement is only for the first year. So no problem here.
-Job 2: 12 Sept.'16==>20th May '18. 1 year 8 months.

Total is 3 years 5 months.

So yes, you'll get points for 3 years worth of work experience, despite your break between jobs. Like I said, the continuity requirement is a must only for the 1st year minimum. As long as you have that, you can add whatever work experiences you want towards your point count. But do make sure to provide work reference letter for each position.

You're good here. Not need to change anything regarding your NOC.
Thank you so much for your reply! Very clear now :)