+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience as a Personal Trainer for Canadian Experience Class

Claudia Kury

Sep 5, 2020
Hello

I am an international student and recently graduated a fitness program in Ontario. I plan to apply for the CEC once I have the 1560 hours of work experience.
I currently have a job offer as a personal trainer (which falls under NOC 5254, level B). My confusion is, I would be working as a trainer for this gym,
but my payments would come directly from clients, not the gym itself, as this is how the fitness industry works.

My employer said he has no problem issuing me the employment reference letter when I need it, explaining how long I've been working there for,
and much I get paid per session per client, but I am not sure if being paid directly from clients and not the employer would be classified as self employment, and therefore
this job wouldn't be valid for CEC residency application.

Would the reference letter be enough, or would having payments reflected on my bank account coming from clients and not the gym itself negatively impact my application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I am an international student and recently graduated a fitness program in Ontario. I plan to apply for the CEC once I have the 1560 hours of work experience.
I currently have a job offer as a personal trainer (which falls under NOC 5254, level B). My confusion is, I would be working as a trainer for this gym,
but my payments would come directly from clients, not the gym itself, as this is how the fitness industry works.

My employer said he has no problem issuing me the employment reference letter when I need it, explaining how long I've been working there for,
and much I get paid per session per client, but I am not sure if being paid directly from clients and not the employer would be classified as self employment, and therefore

Would the reference letter be enough, or would having payments reflected on my bank account coming from clients and not the gym itself negatively impact my application?
IRCC will often use tax slips to determine if you are self-employed or not. If you aren't being paid by your employer, then you won't receive a T4 from your employer and I think there's a high chance IRCC will say you are self employed.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The company would give me a schedule.
See the above advice about payslips; it is definitely not good if you can't get those, but I believe they also consider other factors like how much autonomy or control you have over your work when determining if you are self-employed. If you do not set your own hours or own any of the gym equipment then that would suggest you are not self-employed.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello

T4=Employee

T4A= Subcontractor

You could always request a ruling from the CRA

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hello

Do you get paid for all the time you are at the gym? I would guess not.

I really don't think you can be considered as an employee..... Do you have a contract with the gym?