+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience and remote job on a vacation

vladflip

Oct 16, 2016
Hi canadavisa forum!

I've been working almost a year in Canada under IEC program. I went to a vacation to my home country in May, I've been working part-time/remotely with the same company while on the vacation.

Do I have to subtract it from a year experience and work for 1 month more in order to gain 1 year of full time experience? Or I can add it as a part time job as it states in CEC program I can use either full time job or equal time of a part time job. With that approach I won't need to work for a month more.

vladflip

Oct 16, 2016
Remote work doesn't count as Canadian Work Experience under CEC. You will need to work for one more month to complete the 1 year requirement. Good Luck!

From CIC:
An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience).​
Thanks!