+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience and NOC Verification

xpressntree

Sep 1, 2018
Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum, and I am so glad to see there are a lot of people willing to help others out with the express entry process which can be quite daunting and complicated with all of the details that need to be taken into consideration during the application.

I have started my application, qualified for FSW, and I received my ITA Aug 8th, 2018, Cut-off 440. My Score is 441. I have some questions regarding my work experience I was hoping you guys could help me with.

By way of background, I have 4 line items for my work experience in the same company, but 4 positions (Full time) over almost 5 years:
December 16, 2013 - March 22, 2015 > 1 years 3 months 6 days > Position A
March 23, 2015 - April 3, 2016 > 1 years 0 months 12 days > Position B
April 4, 2016 - December 24, 2017 > 1 years 8 months 21 days > Position C
December 25, 2017 - Present > 0 years 7 months 13 days > Position D( Also current position)

Position A, C and D are all similar. but Position B is little more specific in comparison to the others and is in the same field and I cannot find any other NOC that matches it (I tried going through the entire NOC Database)

My Questions:
1. Position B's job duties and responsibilities are not as matching to the NOC's Main duties and lead statement, it is a little more related to a specific portion of the job, and has a 40-50% match to the NOC's job and duties, so I was not sure if I should delete that line item from my work history and move to personal history because I have 3+ years just using Position A, C and Ds experience OR whether I should just leave it in there as it is really "additional" and the VO can ignore it if he/she wants and just use the rest of the years?

2. Is it a good idea to send IRCC a direct communication/email in their website to ask and see if they can help me verify my job duties to the NOC I think it is? (Just to get a confirmation) or is there a better way I can confirm the NOC which will be credible to the VO?

3. Initially in my EE profile, I had just mentioned the latest position title in work history and it ranged from December 2013 to present. But on looking at many of the opinions of the experienced people in this forum, I split them up in the ITA work history and plan to right an LOE about it saying I just wanted to be more clear, and also clearly put down all the exact dates. Is that the best way to go forward with it? Is there anything else I should be doing?

I would greatly appreciate your advice and counsel!

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hello Everybody,

I am new to this forum, and I am so glad to see there are a lot of people willing to help others out with the express entry process which can be quite daunting and complicated with all of the details that need to be taken into consideration during the application.

I have started my application, qualified for FSW, and I received my ITA Aug 8th, 2018, Cut-off 440. My Score is 441. I have some questions regarding my work experience I was hoping you guys could help me with.

By way of background, I have 4 line items for my work experience in the same company, but 4 positions (Full time) over almost 5 years:
December 16, 2013 - March 22, 2015 > 1 years 3 months 6 days > Position A
March 23, 2015 - April 3, 2016 > 1 years 0 months 12 days > Position B
April 4, 2016 - December 24, 2017 > 1 years 8 months 21 days > Position C
December 25, 2017 - Present > 0 years 7 months 13 days > Position D( Also current position)

Position A, C and D are all similar. but Position B is little more specific in comparison to the others and is in the same field and I cannot find any other NOC that matches it (I tried going through the entire NOC Database)

My Questions:
1. Position B's job duties and responsibilities are not as matching to the NOC's Main duties and lead statement, it is a little more related to a specific portion of the job, and has a 40-50% match to the NOC's job and duties, so I was not sure if I should delete that line item from my work history and move to personal history because I have 3+ years just using Position A, C and Ds experience OR whether I should just leave it in there as it is really "additional" and the VO can ignore it if he/she wants and just use the rest of the years?

2. Is it a good idea to send IRCC a direct communication/email in their website to ask and see if they can help me verify my job duties to the NOC I think it is? (Just to get a confirmation) or is there a better way I can confirm the NOC which will be credible to the VO?

3. Initially in my EE profile, I had just mentioned the latest position title in work history and it ranged from December 2013 to present. But on looking at many of the opinions of the experienced people in this forum, I split them up in the ITA work history and plan to right an LOE about it saying I just wanted to be more clear, and also clearly put down all the exact dates. Is that the best way to go forward with it? Is there anything else I should be doing?

I would greatly appreciate your advice and counsel!
What a long post...
If this experience is foreign work exp you get max points for 3 yrs work exp gained in the last 10 yrs provided that job is full time, 30 hrs/week+, and falls under NOC 0, A, B

So if you can get letter of reference of the 3 yr work exp say positions A+C+D you will get the max points

Rest of the positions including your present role can go under personal history folder

Last edited:
Reactions: xpressntree

xpressntree

Sep 1, 2018
bimale4bipeople thank you for your response! I apologize for the long post, I was trying to give as many details as possible, will keep it short next time :)

okay, so can I use the reference letters of Postion A + Position C + Position D and therefore 3 line items in the work history excluding Position B, total cumulative work time comes up to 3 years 7 months 8 days. Would that work fine? (These are all full time, NOC A)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
bimale4bipeople thank you for your response! I apologize for the long post, I was trying to give as many details as possible, will keep it short next time :)

okay, so can I use the reference letters of Postion A + Position C + Position D and therefore 3 line items in the work history excluding Position B, total cumulative work time comes up to 3 years 7 months 8 days. Would that work fine? (These are all full time, NOC A)

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond
Yes that's fine...

Reactions: xpressntree

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I have a question, if you only use 3 years of work experience for maximum points for the pool, does it impact your points for the FSW selection factors (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html) or as long as you have work experience covered in the personal history section it should be fine?
For MEC - If you score 67 points or higher, you may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Does not matter if you 3 or 6 yrs of work ex, just work out the total MEC score...

For EE, you get max points for 3 yrs foreign work exp under skills adaptability. If you are claiming for these 3 yr(in the last 10 yrs) you will need to back this claim up with a letter of reference... rest of foreign work exp (if you have any in the last 10 yrs) can go in the personal history. For EE you will need to show minimum 1 yr work experience(NOC, 0, A, B, full time or equivalent part time) in order to qualify

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
The thing is, FSW is under EE (and I believe most people will use this program) and you still need to qualify for it. (a lot of people have spouses which can alleviate point losses in one category or another)
Yes that's correct as a FSW based EE applicant you have to start with MEC...
MEC is the qualifying criteria