+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work done Prior to PGWP

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Hi All,

Do I need to provide details of the work I did prior to my PGWP? The reason I am asking this question is that my total Income during Tax year 2012 is CAD 22,000 out of which only CAD 11588.94 is earned after PGWP.

Regards
Jay

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Yes. Depending on the form you're asked to provide information for the last 10 years
or since the age of 18, whatever is longest.
For IMM 0008-Schedule 8 only mention SKILLED experience tho.
IMM 5669 requires all information about every job, skilled or not skilled. Attach extra sheets of paper if necessary.

jaysangha

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Hi Iam_toby,

Thanks for your reply.

Before PGWP I was working as a Financial Service Rep. My duties were falling under NOC 6235. So, shall I fill this info into Form IMM008 (CEC). I understand the fact that this experience will not be counted for my PR application. But I don’t want them to presume that I am hiding something.

So, is there any problem if I provide details of my work experience during Off-Campus work permit and submit all T4 slips and a reference letter pertaining to that work?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
jaysangha said:
Hi Iam_toby,

Thanks for your reply.

Before PGWP I was working as a Financial Service Rep. My duties were falling under NOC 6235. So, shall I fill this info into Form IMM008 (CEC). I understand the fact that this experience will not be counted for my PR application. But I don't want them to presume that I am hiding something.

So, is there any problem if I provide details of my work experience during Off-Campus work permit and submit all T4 slips and a reference letter pertaining to that work?
Like I said, if the job was skilled you have to mention it in both forms i pointed out in my last post.
DO not hide jobs from CIC. Just let them know whatever they ask for.

Malko

Mar 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
And as a reminder: Experience before PGWP can't be counted towards CEC experience.
Hey!

Where does it say explicitly that experience after graduation, but before receiving PGWP, does not count towards CEC experience?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Malko said:
Hey!

Where does it say explicitly that experience after graduation, but before receiving PGWP, does not count towards CEC experience?

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work
experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience
requirement (e.g. post-graduate work permit).
[ Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf ]

Malko

Mar 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It says after graduation, not after receiving your PGWP.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Malko said:
It says after graduation, not after receiving your PGWP.
For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work
experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience
requirement (e.g. post-graduate work permit).
:-X

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
And:

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will
not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience
gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student, and
on-campus work permits).
[Source: Section 5.1 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25a-eng.pdf ]

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
According to one lawyer after study work on off campus wp count to words of cec application because u r no more student after graduate

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
samir3132 said:
According to one lawyer after study work on off campus wp count to words of cec application because u r no more student after graduate
Please see my post above, as the CEC operation manual clearly states that work experience
gained on off- or on-campus work permits can not be counted towards the CEC experience.
There's always going to be people telling you different, but if you ask me, I'd trust the CIC operation
manuals, which are used by VOs to assess the applications.

Again, this is a quote from the operation manual:

Any period of employment during which the applicant was engaged in full-time study will
not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g. work experience
gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student, and
on-campus work permits).
It says, off-campus work permits while a full-time student. After graduation you're no
longer a student so you'll need to apply for PGWP.

Malko

Mar 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
Please see my post above, as the CEC operation manual clearly states that work experience
gained on off- or on-campus work permits can not be counted towards the CEC experience.
There's always going to be people telling you different, but if you ask me, I'd trust the CIC operation
manuals, which are used by VOs to assess the applications.

Again, this is a quote from the operation manual:

It says, off-campus work permits while a full-time student. After graduation you're no
longer a student so you'll need to apply for PGWP.
After you graduate, you have 90 days to apply for a PGWP. In the meantime, you can start to work on your off-campus work permit.

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
Agree with malko

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
samir3132 said:
Pretty much everyone agrees that this is how it should be. But we aren't VOs. And few of us have the time or $$$ to contest a decision in court.

The information in the manual remains inconsistent and contradictory. And iam_toby is correctly describing the way the VOs have interpreted the rules within the past year or so.

Since the new regulations were only implemented in January, there have not been enough cases finalized under the new rules to know if the VOs will consider that "between" time.

Most here are of the opinion that it is best to remember that the CIC rules are a set of MINIMUM requirements, that you should calculate your eligibility conservatively (for example, chose the later of the two - graduation or issue date of PGWP) as the start date to calculate your one year, and then give it a couple of extra weeks just to make sure. We've seen too many people cryin' on this forum because the VO calculated their eligibility differently and they missed being eligible by a week or two...

If you must apply using that 'between" time to qualify, it's a good idea to include a cover letter outlining the the date you graduated, the date you applied for and received the PGWP, and that had an off-campus work permit that allowed you to work full-time after graduation while waiting for your PGWP. Otherwise, the VO could simply look at the issue date of the PGWP and use that for calcuations...