+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work abroad while citizenship application is in progress

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
I need help from the experts in the group. My citizenship application is currently in progress. I am considering accepting a job offer outside Canada. Is this a problem with my application? Do I have to notify IRCC?
If I wait until I give the oath and travel after how long does it take to get the citizenship certificate after that? and if I travel before getting the passport can I apply for it abroad? please help as I need to get back to my employer.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi you are in a 'similar' position to my friend. This is her situation outlined below.

* I was considering a job in the US but decided not to accept it after this. After she told me of her situation; I decided the only way I will accept a job in the US (or any other country) is if I become a Canadian citizen. That way I don't have to meet a 'Residency obligation'.

If you have any questions please inform me.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

I posted this in a thread "Risks of Accepting a 'Foreign' job before completion of Citizenship Application"

My friend and her husband applied for Canadian citizenship (they have a Canadian born daughter). She and her husband are Canadian 'Permanent Residents'. They applied in Feb 2020 (and then got a 12 month job in the US - which her company made permanent). She and her husband also had a rental property in Canada. Her husband also ended up getting a permanent job in the US (as he was on her work visa) as well. He later transferred to a separate work visa when his company sponsored him separately.

When 'covid' hit they could not return to Canada (as the borders were 'closed'). Their application finished processing in April 2021. The 'Background Check' went from 'In Progress' to 'Completed'. They were expecting a 'Test' Invitation. They had previously informed IRCC that they had moved to the US. They had 'separate' interviews with IRCC agents in June 2021. The agents were querying about why they were living in the US (after applying for Canadian citizenship). They informed about their Canadian born daughter, rental property, the fact they own shares in Canadian companies and the situation about how they could not return to Canada due to the 'closed' borders.

Following the interviews the 'Background Check' for her and her husband (went back to 'In Progress') from July 2021. I spoke to her on Monday this past week. The 'Background' Check remains 'In Progress'. Since the interview last year there has been no follow up, no request for information, no communication (one way or another). They travelled back to Canada on a holiday in January and called IRCC and they replied that they could not comment on her case over the phone. They were thinking of going to an immigration lawyer and got a few quotes but the lawyers fees are too expensive for her and her husband.

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
Thank you @JoacRy. I will take the test before leaving Canada but I am not sure when I will receive the oath invitation. I can stay three more months after I take the test. Do you think I could get the oath by then?
Did your friend do the test and after everything in her application was "complete", she was called back for an interview?
It is a very difficult decision and I am very confused.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you @JoacRy. I will take the test before leaving Canada but I am not sure when I will receive the oath invitation. I can stay three more months after I take the test. Do you think I could get the oath by then?
Did your friend do the test and after everything in her application was "complete", she was called back for an interview?
It is a very difficult decision and I am very confused.
1) 3 months might be possible but doubtful (as there is a backlog to clear with some people waiting over 6 months for the oath). You have to remember there is also a backlog to get a Canadian passport (even after you technically become a Canadian citizen). I think you might be a citizen after 3 months though. I don't think you will be able to get a Canadian passport (after 3 months). I hope I'm wrong.

2) My friend and her husband were expecting the 'Test invitation' but did not receive any invitations. Instead they were sent 'separate' Emails requesting 'separate' interviews with IRCC agents. They each attended their interviews separately (as stated in the Email and answered all questions asked by the IRCC Agents). After the interviews there has been no communication at all from IRCC.

She, her husband and daughter traveled to Canada for a holiday in January and called IRCC (1888-242-2100) from inside Canada but they would not speak about her application over the phone. She said she and her husband are waiting to see what happens (as they cannot afford the Fees of an immigration lawyer).

* They were hoping the fact that they have a 'Canadian' rental property which has a mortgage with a Canadian bank would help their case (but it appears not to be the case). Also the fact that they have a 'Canadian born' daughter does not seem to be helping their case either.

* They have both returned to their jobs in the US and are waiting for the outcome (if anything happens at all).

BogusApplicant

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Opinions will differ and I'm in a similar situation.
I asked a senior immigration attorney if it is a risk to take up a job offer in the US (internal company progression, in my case) that will take me away for 2-3 years.
He did chide me for not applying as soon as I was eligible (summer 2020), but said I should go ahead and take up the offer as there is nothing in law that prohibits it. This is a very common situation.
Infact, the IRCC manual has instructions for acceptable ID's when an applicant is living abroad

Reactions: snoopyta