+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wondering if I applied for the right visa and not waiting for nothing

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
kret0s said:
What I am trying to say that she has been travelling to canada to and from, for the past 2 years with just that work permit. Its now expired, we applied for a visitor extension. I am under the assumption that they will issue a new visa which should be a TRV to her for visitor status
No, as already explained:

canuck_in_uk said:
A visitor extension does not allow her to travel to Canada or guarantee her entry. If she is not visa-exempt, she needs a valid TRV to travel to Canada. She will be evaluated as a new visitor by CBSA when she enters.
canuck_in_uk said:
No, a visitor extension is not a TRV. They are completely different things.

When a person outside of Canada applies for an initial work or study permit, the TRV is issued with it so they can come to Canada. When a person applies to extend their status, there is no associated TRV because they are already in Canada and therefore don't need a TRV to travel to Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kret0s said:
What I am trying to say that she has been travelling to canada to and from, for the past 2 years with just that work permit. Its now expired, we applied for a visitor extension. I am under the assumption that they will issue a new visa which should be a TRV to her for visitor status
You really need to do some more research on the IRCC website.

I'm going to try to explain it one more time. A non visa-exempt person requires a TRV to board a plane to Canada. A TRV is separate from status in Canada (work permit, study permit, visitor status).

She has not been traveling on her work permit. She has been travelling on a TRV.

When a person in Canada applies to extend their status, a new TRV is NOT issued, as the purpose of a TRV is to travel TO Canada and people applying for extensions are already IN canada. They need to apply separately for a new TRV.

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
kret0s said:
AS we all know processing times are quite long lately for TRVs.

My spouse had a work permit that was expiring. At the time when I applied it was still valid but we expected to recieve the TRV before work permit expires.

We applied as a Visitor Extension due to having a valid work permit at the time but not extending the work permit. Is this the right application or I had to apply as a new TRV?
Nope you have to apply for a new trv. IMM 5708 is not the correct form.
When I applied for it, i had no response for months, then I called CIC, they told me to apply for trv as extension was not right. Luckily they refunded me and I re-applied for trv and got it within weeks.

So, I would recommend calling CIC.