+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wondering if I applied for the right visa and not waiting for nothing

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
AS we all know processing times are quite long lately for TRVs.

My spouse had a work permit that was expiring. At the time when I applied it was still valid but we expected to recieve the TRV before work permit expires.

We applied as a Visitor Extension due to having a valid work permit at the time but not extending the work permit. Is this the right application or I had to apply as a new TRV?

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
A visitor extension was the correct application.
thanks. unfortunately her work permit expired and the visitor visa is not done yet. She would be able to stay but she was requested for a PR interview (outland) and now she can not come back into canada (no implied status) since the visitor extension applications take longer to process

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kret0s said:
thanks. unfortunately her work permit expired and the visitor visa is not done yet. She would be able to stay but she was requested for a PR interview (outland) and now she can not come back into canada (no implied status) since the visitor extension applications take longer to process
The visitor extension app was abandoned when she left Canada. To return, if not visa-exempt, she now needs to apply for a TRV.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
The visitor extension app was abandoned when she left Canada. To return, if not visa-exempt, she now needs to apply for a TRV.
abandoned really? Are you saying they will reject the visitor extension app? She was forced to attend a PR interview outside of Canada.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
We just recieved an approval letter. does this mean she can come back even though she exited the country

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kret0s said:
We just recieved an approval letter. does this mean she can come back even though she exited the country
A visitor extension does not allow her to travel to Canada or guarantee her entry. If she is not visa-exempt, she needs a valid TRV to travel to Canada. She will be evaluated as a new visitor by CBSA when she enters.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
A visitor extension does not allow her to travel to Canada or guarantee her entry. If she is not visa-exempt, she needs a valid TRV to travel to Canada. She will be evaluated as a new visitor by CBSA when she enters.
What do you mean? We applied as a visitor extension, Isnt this a TRV since this is the first time she is actually visitor status, she was on an work permit previously which she was able to travel with.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kret0s said:
What do you mean? We applied as a visitor extension, Isnt this a TRV since this is the first time she is actually visitor status, she was on an work permit previously which she was able to travel with.
No, a visitor extension is not a TRV. They are completely different things.

When a person outside of Canada applies for an initial work or study permit, the TRV is issued with it so they can come to Canada. When a person applies to extend their status, there is no associated TRV because they are already in Canada and therefore don't need a TRV to travel to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can you provide a few more details about your situation? Is your spouse from a visa exempt or non-visa exempt country? If non-visa exempt, does your spouse hold a TRV that is valid? (I'm not asking about the extension - but the TRV itself.)

As canuck_in_uk explained, an visitor extension is only good as long as you remain in Canada. It doesn't allow someone to re-enter Canada. However if the TRV itself is still valid, that can be used to re-enter Canada.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
No, a visitor extension is not a TRV. They are completely different things.

When a person outside of Canada applies for an initial work or study permit, the TRV is issued with it so they can come to Canada. When a person applies to extend their status, there is no associated TRV because they are already in Canada and therefore don't need a TRV to travel to Canada.
How do you know if a work or study permit has a TRV with it?

She was able to travel with her work permit, she recieved this work permit while she was still in canada, previously she had a study permit.

The exact wording is :

"Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. "

Wouldn't this mean TRV? temporary resident visa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kret0s said:
"Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. "

Wouldn't this mean TRV? temporary resident visa
Right - so as stated - all that allows her to do is remain in Canada as a visitor (if she is still in Canada). If she has left Canada, the extension no longer has a purpose and this doesn't give her the right to re-enter Canada.

An extension is not the same thing as a new TRV. An extension is a request to remain in Canada longer on an existing visit. A TRV application grants you a visa that allows you to re-enter Canada.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
scylla said:
Right - so as stated - all that allows her to do is remain in Canada as a visitor (if she is still in Canada). If she has left Canada, the extension no longer has a purpose and this doesn't give her the right to re-enter Canada.

An extension is not the same thing as a new TRV. An extension is a request to remain in Canada longer on an existing visit. A TRV application grants you a visa that allows you to re-enter Canada.

I'm not sure I follow. When she had the work permit you can say the same thing that it doesnt give her the right to re-enter Canada but she has

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kret0s said:
I'm not sure I follow. When she had the work permit you can say the same thing that it doesnt give her the right to re-enter Canada but she has
From your posts, she is Vietnamese. Therefore, to board a plane to Canada, she requires a valid TRV. A work permit does not allow a non visa-exempt person to travel to Canada.

kret0s

Jan 10, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
From your posts, she is Vietnamese. Therefore, to board a plane to Canada, she requires a valid TRV. A work permit does not allow a non visa-exempt person to travel to Canada.
What I am trying to say that she has been travelling to canada to and from, for the past 2 years with just that work permit. Its now expired, we applied for a visitor extension. I am under the assumption that they will issue a new visa which should be a TRV to her for visitor status