+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawing conditional PR

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
Good morning!
I'm a landed permanent resident with the conditional part, and unfortunately my sponsor and I have split. I have fallen in love with someone else who is a Canadian born citizen, and because I know I can't stay in the country I have booked a one way flight to my home country in Europe, and my new boyfriend is coming with me (also on a one way ticket) to stay in my country for a month or so, then we plan on going to Australia on a working holiday visa down there.

Now, I haven't told CIC yet about me and my sponsor but how do I do that?

We want to come back to Canada.

If we stay a year in Australia, and I eventually get married to my new Canadian boyfriend or we apply based on common law will CIC think twice because I have already been sponsored into Canada as a pr before?

And last question; I saw London Outland applications are taking 20 some months, is that true?

Thanks for taking your time to read.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear that, but you can start by reading this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5781ETOC.asp

Good luck to all three of you.

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
What about reapplying for permanent resdience being sponsored again? Would CIC give us a hard time knowing that I already once was sponsored as a PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I honestly have no idea, but...since you're being honest about the breakdown of this relationship, I would hope that this could only help you in future plans to return as a PR for the second time.

The fact that you're not fraudulently holding on to your conditional PR should speak volumes about you wanting to be in Canada the right way.

I'm sure others will chime in and offer their opinions.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You should note that conditional PR revocation is not automatic. If you and your sponsor choose not to report to CIC, your status will not change unless CIC chase up on you. So far, we have not seen any reports of retrospective revocation once the 2 years period has passed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The following information is in Operational Bulletin 480:

2.4 Assessing evidence of compliance of the two-year condition

To maintain their permanent resident status, the sponsored spouse or partner is required to cohabit in a conjugal relationship with their sponsor for a continuous period of two years after the day on which they became a permanent resident.

While the regulations require a “continuous” period of two years of cohabitation, from time to time, one or the other partner may leave the home for work or business travel or family obligations. CIC officers should follow existing guidelines when assessing a period of cohabitation where temporary or short separations have occurred. See OP 2, Section 5.35 for more information.

A conjugal relationship is interpreted as being a relationship where individuals are interdependent and have a significant degree of attachment — financially, socially, emotionally, and physically — where they share household and related responsibilities, and where they have an exclusive relationship; a mutual and continuing commitment to a shared life together. See OP 2, Section 5.35 and IP 8, Section 5.20 for more information.

The sponsored spouse or partner must provide evidence of their compliance with the condition if an officer requests such evidence because they have reason to believe that the sponsored person is not complying or has not complied with the condition (for example, when a tip is received or a CIC or a CBSA officer has information indicating non-compliance), or if requested as part of a random assessment of the overall level of compliance with the condition by the permanent residents who are or were subject to the condition.

---

2.6 Processing Instructions for cases of non-compliance

CIC officers may request evidence of compliance because they have reason to believe that the sponsored spouse or partner is not complying or has not complied with the condition, or the office may request such evidence as part of a random assessment of the overall level of compliance with the condition by the permanent residents who are or were subject to it.

CIC officers may make a determination as to whether the sponsored person has failed to comply with the condition during or after the two-year condition period (s.72.4).

If the sponsored spouse or partner does not meet the condition of cohabiting in a conjugal relationship with the sponsor during the two-year conditional period and they are not eligible for an exception to the application of the condition, their permanent resident status could be revoked. An inadmissibility (44) report may be written on the basis of non-compliance with s.41 (a) of the Act and as per s.72.1 (1), as the condition imposed would not have been met. This report could be referred to the Immigration Division (ID) of the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) for a hearing and subsequent issuance of a removal order, if applicable.

If the removal order is issued the sponsored person may appeal the removal order before the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the IRB, as per section 63(3) of the IRPA. The IAD has the authority to allow an appeal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, which may include Best Interest of the Child (BIOC) considerations.

If the appeal is dismissed, the removal order could be enforced, permanent residence could be revoked and removal actions could be undertaken.

---

So it sounds like CBSA can ask for proof (at anytime) that the couple is still living together, while at the same time, it says [sec 2.6] that non-compliance could lead to PR revocation.
Huh? If they determine that there is non-compliance why would it not be revoked?

It would certainly seem plausible that CBSA will know when the person leaves Canada and doesn't return; they must be checking for things like this for those with Condition 51.

IMHO, if the OP leaves and is living abroad and is asked to provide proof of cohabiting (which would be nearly impossible) and it does lead to revocation, that would most certainly have a negative impact on future plans to return with the new partner, right?

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
zardoz said:
You should note that conditional PR revocation is not automatic. If you and your sponsor choose not to report to CIC, your status will not change unless CIC chase up on you. So far, we have not seen any reports of retrospective revocation once the 2 years period has passed.
Would you think applying again for spousal sponsorship will affect us? We considered Outland this time through London. But it won't be for a while to say the least, we want to go to Australia for a year and maybe even stay in my home country.

My new boyfriend decided to get a one way ticket traveling through Iceland into Europe but I'm concerned that may be a problem..

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
We all saw this coming right?! Not enough resources to chase all Condition 51'ers down. I'm with zardoz, revocation is not automatic and don't reapply unless you know it has been in your own case.

How is the one-way ticket a problem, as you see it?

KiaG

Mar 19, 2015
truesmile said:
We all saw this coming right?! Not enough resources to chase all Condition 51'ers down. I'm with zardoz, revocation is not automatic and don't reapply unless you know it has been in your own case.

How is the one-way ticket a problem, as you see it?
Well I have to let them know somehow I guess.
As for a one way ticket, my boyfriend has already been granted a working holiday visa in Australia, but I have to physically live in my own homecountry in order to apply, so that's why he won't pay for a flight to Australia just yet, and hence a one way ticket because he has no idea when he'll return to Canada.

I'm wondering if CIC sees badly on people who apply for spousal sponsorship twice.