+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of Citizenship Application

trickytricky

Aug 20, 2021
Hello guys

Is it possible to withdraw I citizenship application based solely on lack of interest in being a citizen?

CDN1234

Jun 25, 2019
Yes, see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-withdrawal-applications.html

The option to withdraw an application exists in the following circumstances:
  • the applicant informs the citizenship office that they will not be available to pursue their application and will continue to be unavailable for the foreseeable future (for example, for the next six months or longer)
  • the applicant has changed their mind about becoming a Canadian citizen (for example, the applicant has just realized that they will lose their current citizenship, or they no longer wish to give up their current citizenship)
  • the applicant feels they may no longer be able to meet the requirements of the Act

trickytricky

Aug 20, 2021
Yes, see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/procedure-withdrawal-applications.html

The option to withdraw an application exists in the following circumstances:
  • the applicant informs the citizenship office that they will not be available to pursue their application and will continue to be unavailable for the foreseeable future (for example, for the next six months or longer)
  • the applicant has changed their mind about becoming a Canadian citizen (for example, the applicant has just realized that they will lose their current citizenship, or they no longer wish to give up their current citizenship)
  • the applicant feels they may no longer be able to meet the requirements of the Act
Thanks. In my case I am simply not interested in being a citizen of Canada anymore. The permanent residency is enough for me.