+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

withdraw citizenship application after PR renewal or before PR renewal?

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Your future application wont be affected but only in case you have strong evidence to support your residency in the future cuz cic will have a record that you withdrew your application in the past

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks toshib, you said you won the appeal and I should if I have strong case, what was the topic of your appeal, the main issue or disagreement by CIC, just briefly to see if there is similarities with my case?

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Hi Nkam,

You are welcome, I never said that I appealed my case, my citizenship got approved recently so I am waiting for the oath, I was given mini RQ before and sent them the documents CIC requested,the point is if you really lived here and have documents that prove residency then sending it with RQ shall make your application being approved, it depends what kind of RQ you got, is it CIT0171 or CIT0520? Did they ask you to submit everything or specific documents? If you give some details I would advice you. Another question when did you apply? when did you become a PR?

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
I got both the short and long ones. The main reason was lost passport which I advised CIC in the cover letter of the application as how and when it was stolen.
The whole interview was about proving the passport was stolen in the incident... I do not know why CIC did not raise this earlier before inviting me.
I would have at least taken the police report and documents proving it was robbed in the incident. I am kind of let down because of the inefficiency and unfairness we are all facing when compared to citizenship processing in Europe ..which is 6-months process overall with 3-5% exceptions which take longer
Now , there is one more option based on an interesting post today:
1. Abaddon the application - I submitted have the requested documents and do not proceed any further with the outstanding documents and ignore notices from CIC
2. Formal withdrawal by applicant
3. See it through to refusal
4. having two active applications when I qualify under the new rules be it 4/6 or 3/5

nope

Oct 3, 2015
It's strange that you're totally unable to prove your presence -- are you living, working, and using services here in Canada?

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
Sorry to say that but CIC red flags applicants who lost there passports and think that they hide their passports,most people who lose their passports are being sent to judge hearing, you dont have any choice other than submitting a formal request to withdraw your application, you can find the withdrawal form from CIC website. I also assume that you dont have any prove of residency in this case you need to stay another three years and start from the beginning then you can apply comfortably, just withdraw your application and start from the beginning till you complete three years.After you sent the withdrawal form CIC will send you a refund which confirms you application has been withdrawn, it will also show on e-cas as withdrawn.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
of course I got loads of documents proving residency and ties in Canada and in my circumstances I need not welfare benefits nor have ever used it. I need not ..

I already submitted several forms of proof that the passport was stolen in the incident and can continue fight it on the KOO principle as I applied on 3/4 law and my partner is Canadian which may help on the qualtative grounds
I am still considering my options and the KOO precedent and since I moved 100% to Canada, I will be fine in probably 18 months...

nope

Oct 3, 2015
nkam said:
of course I got loads of documents proving residency and ties in Canada and in my circumstances I need not welfare benefits nor have ever used it. I need not ..

I already submitted several forms of proof that the passport was stolen in the incident and can continue fight it on the KOO principle as I applied on 3/4 law and my partner is Canadian which may help on the qualtative grounds
I am still considering my options and the KOO precedent and since I moved 100% to Canada, I will be fine in probably 18 months...
Koo is an example of someone who was granted citizenship with a shortfall. You have been talking about withdrawing simply because you can't prove your residence; but the only people who bring up Koo are those who have actually been out of Canada for more than the permitted amount of time.

This makes sense -- because withdrawing your application because you got an RQ, if you have enough time, does NOT make sense.

Note also that you didn't actually answer what I said. I didn't say "prove your passport was stolen", I said that it should be relatively simple to prove that you're a resident of Canada, if you're a resident of Canada.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
what CIC wanted me to prove - not you - was that the passport was stolen and reported to Police. CO did not believe this and I was able to prove it because replacment passport can only be processed with Police report. This is the strength of my case that I disproved the CO doubts which led to RQ.

it is a case of shortfall cos of counting days with Canadian partner abroad which should not have been counted..am I right..

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
nkam said:
what CIC wanted me to prove - not you - was that the passport was stolen and reported to Police. CO did not believe this and I was able to prove it because replacment passport can only be processed with Police report. This is the strength of my case that I disproved the CO doubts which led to RQ.

it is a case of shortfall cos of counting days with Canadian partner abroad which should not have been counted..am I right..
You cannot count days with spouse outside for citizenship purposes, you can count only those days for PR purposes, but if you have strong evidence inside Canada that you resided here for three years then you can go ahead and wait for the decision of you application, this means you have pay stubs, doctor visits record, rental contracts for at least three years in Canada

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Would you and others please help me assess the options from your experience...? I understand there is no rush and hearing may take 18 months to be scheduled

1. Abaddon the application - submitted some of the requested documents and do not proceed any further with the outstanding documents and ignore notices from CIC
2. Formal withdrawal by applicant
3. See it through to refusal or whatever outcome
4. having two active applications when I qualify under the new rules be it 4/6 or 3/5

will appreciate your thoughts against each option if you can please

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
toshib said:
You cannot count days with spouse outside for citizenship purposes, you can count only those days for PR purposes, but if you have strong evidence inside Canada that you resided here for three years then you can go ahead and wait for the decision of you application, this means you have pay stubs, doctor visits record, rental contracts for at least three years in Canada
this what I came to know but too late. I wrongly assumed I am fine because this how it works globally but in Canada. It is now a shortfall case.
Will appreciate your opinion in the options 1-4 since there is no rush to withdraw the application..

toshib

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
nkam said:
this what I came to know but too late. I wrongly assumed I am fine because this how it works globally but in Canada. It is now a shortfall case.
Will appreciate your opinion in the options 1-4 since there is no rush to withdraw the application..
Your best option is option number 2 which is formal withdrawal by the applicant, just download and print the form from CIC webiste and send it to your local office by expresspost, option two will save you time as rejection takes months. After you send the withdrawal form CIC will send you a refund cheque and your e-cas status will be updated online as "withdrawn"

Option 2 is better than the hassle of citizenship judge hearing which is very tough and long