+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Windowed mother and unmarried sister sponsorship to Canada query

getlucky2018

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Toronto
LANDED..........
Canadian Citizen
Hello, I am a brand new Canadian Citizen. I have a mother who lives in India and is a widow and I have my younger sister (unmarried) who is also with her in India and I want to sponsor them so that can come and live with me in Canada. I have my own place, a good job, and can support them. If someone can guide me as to what I can do and what the process is and how i can start an application for them so that they can come over here as landed immigrants.
Any advice and help will be really appreciated.
Thank you.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
From what I've been learning from more senior members, you will have to apply to sponsor your mother through the Parental Sponsorship stream, which is a lottery-based system. Your unmarried sister can be added onto your mother's application as a dependent provided that IRCC receives the application before she turns 22 years old, or if she is mentally or physically dependent on your mother for support regardless of age.

If she already 22 years old or older, then she can only be sponsored after your mother has passed away and you are unmarried, not in a conjugal or common-law relationship, or not a parent yourself, under the Other Relative Sponsorship stream (a.k.a. Lonely Canadian stream).

Reactions: bellaluna

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The above information is correct. Just to add, you need to show LICO for the total number of people in your family. Also it is a lottery and over subscribed so you may not be selected in the first year or ever. Some people are never chosen. This year’s PGP program has not opened for profiles yet.