+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will transit at YVR for a PR need PR status check?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I am a Chinese with PR card vaild until Aug, 2023. My family relocated to US since 2016. Wife is Canadian and worked in US with TN status. I have a TD visa.

for covid19, i've not been with my family since jan, 2020. Theoretically I fail 730 days rule.

I'm planning back by aircanada with a stopover at YVR. As a Chinese National, I dont need a transit visa to directly transfer to US. Sure. Proper airlines and airport, proper departure and arrival, and proper transit connect timing.

The key is: do I have to pass cbsa check to get US entry? And if it does, do I need to show my PR card or just passort instead? And how large the risk should be that I will have to give travel history details to cbsa? I just doing transfer, no entering Canada.

Many thanks

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Also, from US back to china, at YVR, the procedure any difference? I notice that maybe only this time, a cbsa check is a must. Thanks.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Thanks! It's much clear that if the next flight is to US, no CBSA needed. And if the next flight is international, CBSA will check. Why? CBSA doesnt check anyone who depart from Canada but check people who just transit internationally, only for proper transit visa? Seems if i miss the flight and have to deal with transit visa issue, my PR status has to be documented.

miguelca

May 6, 2021
I don’t know all your background or plans…
but why dont you just flight directly to USA?
or might as well renounce your PR status, assuming you will not settle on Canada any time soon.
You are just postponing the PR problem to the future and complicating your future travels.