+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will the following reason be considered Non-optional and non-discretionary purpose of travel?

Sergio4

Sep 25, 2020
Hello everyone. I hope you are in good health. My study permit was approved before 18th March which satisfies the initial step to be exempted from Canada's travel restrictions. I haven't entered Canada and am currently doing classes for Fall semester online from my home country. My program is a 2-year program with an option to finish it earlier.

But if I am to continue my studies next semester from home, I am afraid I will finish 50% of my courses outside Canada deeming me ineligible for PWGP. Can I present this reason to the officers at the port for my travel to be considered non-optional?

I am already studying from a country with shitty internet bandwidth and a huge time zone difference with Canada so I am aware of the other reasons I can present, should my university provide me with a support letter. I thought that the previous reason would seem more concrete to an officer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ankitax

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Yes mail ur college about this ask them for a travel support letter. If they send one, it’ll be easier

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Ask for a support letter from your college as not sure CBSA at POE will be interested whether you are going to qualify for or apply for a PGWP. Mainly it is getting past the airline checkin that is the major challenge to get through in first instance so a support letter and your permit issued before March 18 plus valid TRV.

plus of course be prepared to assume still need a 14 day isolation plan which may or may not still be with us for rest of year .

Last edited:

Sergio4

Sep 25, 2020
Ask for a support letter from your college as not sure CBSA at POE will be interested whether you are going to qualify for or apply for a PGWP. Mainly it is getting past the airline checkin that is the major challenge to get through in first instance so a support letter and your permit issued before March 18 plus valid TRV.

plus of course be prepared to assume still need a 14 day isolation plan which may or may not still be with us for rest of year .
My DLI is a university and they have firmly stated that they will not issue a support letter because they do no support travel until border restrictions are eased.

Sergio4

Sep 25, 2020
Yes mail ur college about this ask them for a travel support letter. If they send one, it’ll be easier
My DLI is a university and they refused to issue support letter until restrictions are eased. I will wait for updates from IRCC, nothing else to do