+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will study permit refusals affect my future entries into Canada?

xxvkyxx

Nov 11, 2018
Dear all,

I was accepted into UBC, but was unable to go Sep 2018 because my study permit was refused twice, and I was unable to reapply in time. Instead of trying again, I will attend university in another country because I don't want to take a gap year or enter UBC in term 2.

However, if I leave the refusals as they are, might I be rejected entry into Canada in the future? Say, if I work and need to take a business trip there.

The first refusal was because I simply did not submit my additional documents in time (I uploaded but apparently forgot to press submit, dumb, I know). And the second time, I believe, was because of insufficient documentation. I did not fill in the documents well, didn't write a letter explaining my travel history, and they had trouble opening my passport document/it was unclear. And quite possibly because I did not know that I should have submitted a study plan as well. In other words, none of the refusals was because of any criminal records, or poor compliance with visa rules of any other countries and other serious, dangerous things etc.

Please may I know what repercussions these two refusals might have on me in the future. And if so, what I can do to fix it. Should I try and reapply even if I don't plan on going to the school again?

Thank you very much.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you require a visa to visit Canada or if you intend to apply again or emigrate in the future you must always declare any past applications/ refusals. Other than that no reason to suspect that if you have a visa or are visa exempt that study permit refusals might preclude entry to Canada. Of course nobody here can do more than speculate but just for missing documents as long as you declare your history no reason why should be an issue in future, final decision ultimately though with IRCC/ CBSA.