+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will she get a student visa while her PR is under process??

harshan

Mar 2, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian permanent resident working currently working in Canada. My fiancee (Indian national, presently living/working in India) has plans to do her MBA and has applied to two universities in Canada for Sep 2009. We are planning to get married in early June. If I apply for for spousal immigration for her after our marriage in June, it may take anywhere from 3-12 months for her to get her PR and mostly likely she will miss her first semester and consequently wont be able to join masters.

To get around this issue, I have three options - can you please suggest which one would be the best?

a. I was thinking that I can apply for her student visa after our marriage and not bother about applying for PR (I will not hide the fact that we're married - I will mention that we need the student visa as she has to start in September). If we do this, after she comes to Canada, will it be possible for me to apply for PR for her from here or from India? What are the advantages / disadvantages of this?

b. Apply for spousal immigration and student visa simultaneously and ask the visa officer to provide the student visa before Sep as her course would start in Sep '09.

c. Apply for spousal immigration with the admit letter from the univ and ask the visa officer to expedite the immigration process as time is running out for Sept start session (I will send a solid app with supporting docs, medicals and police clearance to shorten the processing time).

Are there any other alternatives? Thanks for reading my questions and I look forward to hearing your answers.

Best wishes,
Harshan

sanpen

Jun 5, 2008
If her MBA is top priority then she should apply for it immediately. I am not sure how long it takes for it to process student visa in India...am thinking not more than two months...So if she applies for student visa now she could get it in amonth or two. Then in June you could go ahead with marriage. And in September when she comes to start her education in Canada, you could apply for spousal sponsorhip inside Canada category.
The things is if you apply from outside Canada i.e in India, there it takes about 6 months (70% of cases), if you count 6 months from June, it is December...when she might not be in India as her course in canada starts in September. and cases applied for in India she will have to appear for interview in India which could be a problem for her to go back just for an interview.
It is generally advised to apply for PR from outside Canada if one looks at it from a time duration point of view. but then it will be a problem logistically.
firts check out the average time taken to process student visa for canada in India.

All the best

stealth

Star Member
Sep 3, 2008
I would try to get married a couple months earlier.

I work with many Indians, and almost all of them got their spouse's visa in 3-4 months.