+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will PG diploma not fetch you a job?

Rahul.Revoori

Dec 28, 2013
Hi guys,
A happy and prosperous new year to one and all.
One of my friend who is a citizen in Canada suggested me not to take up PG diploma courses,
He says it's very difficult to find jobs on the pg diploma course u planning to take up to start off in Canada. He recommends me for a minimum MBA certification programme. Please give your suggestions on this as
I have only 58% in my MS and the consultants. Say I can only get place for a pg diploma and not MBA programme. Please guide me on this.
Thanks and regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was born in Canada and have lived / worked here all of my life. I agree that PG diplomas are very low value and are not valued by Canadian employers. When I hire people and look through their credentials, I almost always ignore diplomas and post graduate diplomas. I'm only interested in what degrees candidates have - and also any professional designations (e.g. CA).

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would say it depends on the program and institution. The one I am in ranks very high amongst employers in my industry.

Rahul.Revoori

Dec 28, 2013
That's very nice of both of you. I have done MS in pharmaceutical sciences in London And I have 1 year exp in Aurobindo pharma ltd. as a Quality assurance executive. My MS score is around 58% and bachelors is 59.
Do u suggest me anything of your experience.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
also any professional designations (e.g. CA).
There are different employers in Canada. Some of them are very narrow minded. Others, however, understand that you do not get CA just after getting bachelor degree (BD). Getting a professional designation is a PROCESS, you start with BD, work , study and ONLY THEN get your designation.
In Canada there are jobs for people with "CA" and without it.

International students do not pretend that their PG is better than any other Bachelor degree or replaces professional designations. PG serves just two proposes- to deepen the first bachelor degree , like BA, in another narrower field like Finance or Commerce or Accounting. And the second purpose - it is an easy way for a foreigner with bachelor degree from homeland enroll into Canadian University because masters program does not help international student to get a job equal to their Canadian peers. The reason is that Canadians with Masters have quite some years of CANADIAN experience. And it does not help in getting a job only to get masters but without having Canadian professional experience.

And I heard from prominent Canadian employers that they appreciate employees with PG in the employers' field of business.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Rahul.Revoori said:
Hi guys,
A happy and prosperous new year to one and all.
One of my friend who is a citizen in Canada suggested me not to take up PG diploma courses,
He says it's very difficult to find jobs on the pg diploma course u planning to take up to start off in Canada. He recommends me for a minimum MBA certification programme. Please give your suggestions on this as
I have only 58% in my MS and the consultants. Say I can only get place for a pg diploma and not MBA programme. Please guide me on this.
Thanks and regards
there is a difference between the type of jobs u get after pg diploma and masters . U have limited scope for career advancement after diploma . People make the mistake of going for diploma as most agents force then to take up diploma.
Think about the difference between bachelors and diploma in ur country it is most likely the same in canada.
will u take pg diploma over masters in ur home country? its the same difference in canada.
Make an informed choice why do u think masters degree is more involved and expensive?
I agree with scylla completely. if u can afford masters(afford in terms of money and grades and intelligence) then go for masters

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
there is a difference between the type of jobs u get after pg diploma and masters . U have limited scope for career advancement after diploma . People make the mistake of going for diploma as most agents force then to take up diploma.
Think about the difference between bachelors and diploma in ur country it is most likely the same in canada.
will u take pg diploma over masters in ur home country? its the same difference in canada.
Make an informed choice why do u think masters degree is more involved and expensive?
I agree with scylla completely. if u can afford masters(afford in terms of money and grades and intelligence) then go for masters
I still maintain that it depends on the program. Mine is a 3 year advanced diploma and I know as a fact that those who graduate get work. For me and my career choice, a Bachelors or Masters wouldn't help much.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
itstime said:
I still maintain that it depends on the program. Mine is a 3 year advanced diploma and I know as a fact that those who graduate get work. For me and my career choice, a Bachelors or Masters wouldn't help much.
getting work and getting the right job for ur qualification is different. Doing bachelors and then diploma and getting a job on ur diploma credentials not a right job for ur bachelors. However if u do not have a bachelors then diploma /pg diploma is good. So my point is u will be doing a job after pg diploma for which ur over qualified based on ur bachelors degree. In the long run not a good idea because ur career will be stagnant after a few years .

alibutt2013

Sep 3, 2013
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th may 2013
Med's Request
11th september 2013
Med's Done....
17th september 2013
Passport Req..
already submitted with the application
VISA ISSUED...
27th november 2013
LANDED..........
inshallah soon
No ones life get frozen after a pg diploma. I have friends that got pretty damn good jobs after pg diplomas it all depends on you and the contacts you make. Moreover you get credits towards a degree course 2 years if you done any advanced diploma and 1 year if you have jus done a normal diploma. So you can work full time and study part time in a uni and get a degree in 2 years. So with the work experience and two things (diploma & degree) in your hand you will be better then the people who jus have a degree if i'm not wrong.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alibutt2013 said:
No ones life get frozen after a pg diploma. I have friends that got pretty damn good jobs after pg diplomas it all depends on you and the contacts you make. Moreover you get credits towards a degree course 2 years if you done any advanced diploma and 1 year if you have jus done a normal diploma. So you can work full time and study part time in a uni and get a degree in 2 years. So with the work experience and two things (diploma & degree) in your hand you will be better then the people who jus have a degree if i'm not wrong.
Exactly. It's also who you know.

I wouldn't mind going for a bachelor later on but would wait until I have PR (if that happens). These $14000/year tuition fees are pretty rough on the bank account.

alibutt2013

Sep 3, 2013
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th may 2013
Med's Request
11th september 2013
Med's Done....
17th september 2013
Passport Req..
already submitted with the application
VISA ISSUED...
27th november 2013
LANDED..........
inshallah soon
itstime said:
Exactly. It's also who you know.

I wouldn't mind going for a bachelor later on but would wait until I have PR (if that happens). These $14000/year tuition fees are pretty rough on the bank account.
Yeah get your PR, go uni part time and work full time. Jus don't listen to anyone i have seen people saying ohh you can't get a job after diploma or a degree bull shit it's all on you there's a job for everyone here.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alibutt2013 said:
Yeah get your PR, go uni part time and work full time. Jus don't listen to anyone i have seen people saying ohh you can't get a job after diploma or a degree bull *censored word* it's all on you there's a job for everyone here.
Yeah, that's why saving those course outlines are so critical.