+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will paid maternity leave period get deducted from work experience?

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
I've a total of 3years 4 months work experience but went on maternity leave twice within this period, a cumulative period of 6 months.

Will this get deducted from my work experience thereby reducing my work experience to less than 3 years? Cos i claimed 3years on my eAPR.

julientran

Apr 10, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
20-12-3016
Doesn't matter if you got sick, disability, maternity, paternity, vacation for months. As long as you are still on your company payroll, that period cannot be deducted from your period of employment.
I had surgery and was disabled for 6 months but I was still getting paid by my company during the 6 months so I was on the payroll.

You just enter the period of employment, not the time you worked. Otherwise it would insane to deduct your sick days, tardiness, single or multiple vacation days, holidays, etc.

Just your period of employment counts. Starting date to ending or today date

You would deduct only if your company fired you when you got pregnant then rehired you after maternity.

Reactions: Faky201

Mr Optimist

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check your employment documents. Is there any place where it mentions you were on long term leave?

In any case, as the gentleman above said, as long as you are on company payroll, there shouldn't be a problem.

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
Thank you guys. Some one just scared me that any leave more than one month will be deducted from work experience. Good to know I'm on track.

niceday01

Dec 29, 2016
I also had maternity leaves while on a work permit. I used an immigration attorney who said that that time was not counting as work experience as I was not working ( employed by the company but not actually working is how she explained it to me). And she also explained that had I not had 12 months of working between leaves that that work experience would not be accepted.
Might be worth getting some legal advice if you are getting conflicting answers to be sure!

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
niceday01 said:
I also had maternity leaves while on a work permit. I used an immigration attorney who said that that time was not counting as work experience as I was not working ( employed by the company but not actually working is how she explained it to me). And she also explained that had I not had 12 months of working between leaves that that work experience would not be accepted.
Might be worth getting some legal advice if you are getting conflicting answers to be sure!
Wow! But were you on company's pay roll during your mat leave?

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
I'm going to guess it depends on your reference letter. If your boss doesn't mention maternity lead, then, to be honest, how would cic know? However if cic call and they discover it then it could be worse.

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
kryt0n said:
I'm going to guess it depends on your reference letter. If your boss doesn't mention maternity lead, then, to be honest, how would cic know? However if cic call and they discover it then it could be worse.
Cos i traveled out of my country to have the children within those periods. Which i would have to declare under my travel history.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Slowlybtsurely said:
Cos i traveled out of my country to have the children within those periods. Which i would have to declare under my travel history.
Definitely. In travel history at least.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is my opinion on the whole matter.

Canada wants to check, that you have work experience, hence they asked also for confirmation of hours per week and hours per year.
They do not care that much about the fact that you were getting payment from some company (being on its payrolls).

Now, standart holidays, that are part of your yearly employment are ok. (remember, they need to see 30 hours per week, but when you are on full contract, it is more like 35 to 40 hours per week).
Also short sickness time is again ok.

If you have long period sickness or maternity leave, the situation is different.
1. you have home Office, in that case you still actively work for the company. Then all is ok
2. you do not have home Office, in this case you are not gaining professional experience.
Still in case of sickness, this one is difficult to proove, unless specific period is stated in your medical exam.

Hoewever in case of maternity leaves (especially the longer ones), you are under different rules. Also still on the payment list, you do not get the same amount of Money as you would when actively working. (and the longer you stay, the less Money you get).
In addition, this is very easily to be tracked from the list of your children and their dates of birth. (if you are biological mother to your children you must have taken maternity leave to give birth to them and that is regardless if you have travelled out of country or not).

So I see this as one of the possibilities of your file being rejected as not having enough work experience.

But again take this as my opinion.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Slowlybtsurely said:
^^^ Now, this is getting more and more confusing. :-\
If you've already submitted your app just wait now. It's kind of grey because cic don't seem to have any notes about this specifically. We are going by what our interpretation is.

When you travelled out of country for the kids, how long were you away? Did you declare it in your travel history?

Slowlybtsurely

Star Member
Feb 1, 2016
kryt0n said:
If you've already submitted your app just wait now. It's kind of grey because cic don't seem to have any notes about this specifically. We are going by what our interpretation is.

When you travelled out of country for the kids, how long were you away? Did you declare it in your travel history?
I stayed for a period of two months on each visit. That is cumulative of 4 months. And yes, i declared both trips.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
Slowlybtsurely said:
I stayed for a period of two months on each visit. That is cumulative of 4 months.
Well, you MIGHT be ok.

You worked 3 years 4 months, right? Cic deems 2 weeks holiday acceptable per year. I think they also have some lieniency with it. If you were away for 4 months then they may deduct that and still be left with 3 years.

If you calculate your score with only 2 years of experience what is it? And what was the score for your draw?