+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my visitor visa get denied?

wenwenwen13

Apr 27, 2014
Hi there,
I am Australian, here on a working visa. My visa runs out in June, next year. I will be applying to change my status to become a visitor, and plan to move back to Australia in September.
I will be eloping in a destination wedding (my fiance is Canadian) before my visa expires and would like to have my wedding reception in July (1 month after my visa expires).
I am concerned that if I book my wedding reception, and my visitor visa gets denied that I wont have my wedding reception. (the reason I want it in July is where I live, the weather is great that month)
What are the chances that my visitor visa will get denied? If it does get denied, how long do I have till I have to leave the country? Can I challenge the decision?
Am i taking a huge risk?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you

rajesh5769

Nov 20, 2015
No need to worry about that, once ur work permit expires automatically you will be going into implied status for 90 days.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rajesh5769 said:
No need to worry about that, once ur work permit expires automatically you will be going into implied status for 90 days.
No - not true. Once your work permit expires you are out of status in Canada. You have up to 90 days from the time your permit expires to apply for restoration. But during this time you are out of status.

Implied status only applies if you apply to extend or change your status in Canada before your current permit expires. You then have implied status until a decision is made.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
Can i stay for 90 days without status?
Don't. You will be in Canada illegally and that can have serious consequences on any future visa/immigration applications, even for other countries.

wenwenwen13

Apr 27, 2014
OK yes, I don't want to do anything illegal.
So does anyone happen to know, if for some reason my visitor visa was denied, when I would have to leave the country?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
OK yes, I don't want to do anything illegal.
So does anyone happen to know, if for some reason my visitor visa was denied, when I would have to leave the country?
Provided you show can sufficient proof of funds, you should have no issues. If you have your ticket to Australia booked, include proof of that as well.

What are your dates exactly? When are you leaving on holiday, when does your current work permit expire, when are you returning?

wenwenwen13

Apr 27, 2014
My visa expires 1st week June 2016, I wish to have reception 2nd week in July and will leave canada 1st week September and will return for holiday in a year and probably apply for permanent residency through sponsorship in 4 years.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
My visa expires 1st week June 2016, I wish to have reception 2nd week in July and will leave canada 1st week September and will return for holiday in a year and probably apply for permanent residency through sponsorship in 4 years.
Again, when are you going on holiday and when are you returning? You said destination wedding, so what are the dates for that?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
Sorry I miss understood you.
We are only going to another province in Canada and that will be in April.
Ah, OK. Apply at the end of May to change your status and extend your stay as a visitor. As I said before, include proof of funds and, if you have it, your ticket to Australia. Given the processing times, they won't have even looked at the app before your wedding reception. The current processing time is 4.5 months.

wenwenwen13

Apr 27, 2014
Thank you.
I was told that I would need to apply to change my conditions to a visitor rather than applying for visitor visa. Now I believe applying to change conditions takes 14 days. Do you have any advice on this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
Thank you.
I was told that I would need to apply to change my conditions to a visitor rather than applying for visitor visa. Now I believe applying to change conditions takes 14 days. Do you have any advice on this?
14 days is the processing time for a TRV, an entry visa, i.e. the one you don't need or even qualify for.

Visitor extensions, which is what you will be applying for, are currently taking 142 days for online app.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

wenwenwen13

Apr 27, 2014
Ok so looking at the link, I would be looking at visitor extension rather than New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY)?
I assumed because I am not a visitor, I am I worker I would apply for new temporary visa.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
wenwenwen13 said:
Ok so looking at the link, I would be looking at visitor extension rather than New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY)?
I assumed because I am not a visitor, I am I worker I would apply for new temporary visa.
Again, a TRV is an entry visa, what non visa-exempt people need to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status. You need to apply to change conditions and extend your stay as a visitor. Your current status doesn't matter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp