+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my spouse still be entitled to our US insurance if we moved to Windsor?

jish6303

Jan 4, 2020
I will be starting my job in Detroit area, and both my wife and I will be moving to the area. We just did our landing and activated our PR status in Canada.

Our current plan is to move to Windsor after a couple of months, after I get all of:
1. my H1 visa stamp with the name of my new employer
2. my Nexus card
3. my PR card, which might arrive soon.

In the meantime both of us will be living in the US, and will occasionally visit Windsor for leisure, housing and some other errands.

We were wondering about one issue: if we moved out of the US and leave me be the daily commuter, will my wife still be eligible for the healthcare entitlements that we sign the date I start my job, when both of us are still "residing in the US"?

Neither of us are Canadian citizens and will need visas to enter the US.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I will be starting my job in Detroit area, and both my wife and I will be moving to the area. We just did our landing and activated our PR status in Canada.

Our current plan is to move to Windsor after a couple of months, after I get all of:
1. my H1 visa stamp with the name of my new employer
2. my Nexus card
3. my PR card, which might arrive soon.

In the meantime both of us will be living in the US, and will occasionally visit Windsor for leisure, housing and some other errands.

We were wondering about one issue: if we moved out of the US and leave me be the daily commuter, will my wife still be eligible for the healthcare entitlements that we sign the date I start my job, when both of us are still "residing in the US"?

Neither of us are Canadian citizens and will need visas to enter the US.
US healthcare which you buy for this year can still be used - only issue is that you need to travel to US everytime for doctor/hospital visit.
Ontario healthcare: You need to wait for 90 days before you get the healthcare coverage hence you can use the US insurance during that period hence plan to move with 90 days insurance in US(if you like).

Reactions: jish6303

jish6303

Jan 4, 2020
US healthcare which you buy for this year can still be used - only issue is that you need to travel to US everytime for doctor/hospital visit.
Ontario healthcare: You need to wait for 90 days before you get the healthcare coverage hence you can use the US insurance during that period hence plan to move with 90 days insurance in US(if you like).
Thanks!

I heard the availability of the free Canadian healthcare would sometimes be a problem with many people waiting in the line, and thus not as effective as the paid, commercial healthcare?

Do Canadians living in Windsor buy US insurance and come to the US side for a doctor visit as well?

Also, if her sole purpose to cross the border is for a doctor's visit, with her visa (B-2 or H-4, we still haven't figured out), will the entry be denied by CBP at the border?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks!

I heard the availability of the free Canadian healthcare would sometimes be a problem with many people waiting in the line, and thus not as effective as the paid, commercial healthcare?

Do Canadians living in Windsor buy US insurance and come to the US side for a doctor visit as well?

Also, if her sole purpose to cross the border is for a doctor's visit, with her visa (B-2 or H-4, we still haven't figured out), will the entry be denied by CBP at the border?
Yes, govt care cannot be same as private as one pays more for private hence there will be difference in quality and wait time.

I dont think so unless the employer is forcing to subscribe. It will be unnecessary expense and that too a high cost.

I dont see issue as its a privately sponsored and a paid insurance by the employee and employer. You can tell that you already enrolled for the whole year hence had to use it.

Reactions: jish6303

jish6303

Jan 4, 2020
Yes, govt care cannot be same as private as one pays more for private hence there will be difference in quality and wait time.

I dont think so unless the employer is forcing to subscribe. It will be unnecessary expense and that too a high cost.

I dont see issue as its a privately sponsored and a paid insurance by the employee and employer. You can tell that you already enrolled for the whole year hence had to use it.
Thanks for sharing the info.
"You can tell that you already enrolled for the whole year hence had to use it." That means starting from the second year we can't subscribe the same insurance as principal (employee) and dependent?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for sharing the info.
"You can tell that you already enrolled for the whole year hence had to use it." That means starting from the second year we can't subscribe the same insurance as principal (employee) and dependent?
You need to look at the fine print of your insurance plan to see whether the fact that she has no visa (except tourist) and is living in Canada will be an issue. There are certainly policies that cover international residents but you’ll have to see if that is the case for your policy.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Depends upon you policy. If the policy covers healthcare in Canada, then she can use it for the first three months (Ontario plan will kick in after 3 months). Most policies will cover occasional care in Canada, but if you use it very frequently they will suspect that you are not a US resident and may deny claims.