+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my PGWP be denied

ValerieO

Mar 27, 2019
I completed my 4 year undergrad within 5 years because my mom passed away in my 3rd year and I took a bit of a break from my studies. I then had to spend the 5th year completing all the half done courses from my 3rd year so technically my last semester of school Fall 2018 is my only part time semester (I took courses virtually every spring and summer after my mom died to make up for school) but I only just applied for PGWP because since last fall i’ve Been completing previous courses from my break. I have a supporting letter from my university as well as from the medical center where I sought counselling for my grief induced depression and anxiety. Also graduated with distinction. I just started working full time with an awesome company and would like to give them a heads up if I will need to apply for an open work permit or something. Thanks .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I completed my 4 year undergrad within 5 years because my mom passed away in my 3rd year and I took a bit of a break from my studies. I then had to spend the 5th year completing all the half done courses from my 3rd year so technically my last semester of school Fall 2018 is my only part time semester (I took courses virtually every spring and summer after my mom died to make up for school) but I only just applied for PGWP because since last fall i’ve Been completing previous courses from my break. I have a supporting letter from my university as well as from the medical center where I sought counselling for my grief induced depression and anxiety. Also graduated with distinction. I just started working full time with an awesome company and would like to give them a heads up if I will need to apply for an open work permit or something. Thanks .
Up to the VO. Strictly speaking, you don't qualify, so it is up to them whether they take your situation into consideration or not.

ValerieO

Mar 27, 2019
Thank you. Any idea if i’ll qualify for any tiger programs, or if I can pursue an open work permit while my PGWP is still processing?
Up to the VO. Strictly speaking, you don't qualify, so it is up to them whether they take your situation into consideration or not.
you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. Any idea if i’ll qualify for any tiger programs, or if I can pursue an open work permit while my PGWP is still processing?

you
No idea what a tiger program is.

No, you won't qualify for an OWP. They are only issued in very limited circumstances.

ValerieO

Mar 27, 2019
Ok thanks. I am already working with my implied status, would I need to get a new job or can I do that through my current company?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok thanks. I am already working with my implied status, would I need to get a new job or can I do that through my current company?
If your company is willing to go through with the LMIA process, that's fine. Note that the LMIA process takes around 4 months or longer and most companies aren't willing to do it.