+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will it be worth migrating to Canada from a decent lifestyle in INDIA?

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Hello All,

I am from INDIA, a 40 year old, with a Diploma Civil Engg from DTE Mumbai/India & BTech civil degree in construction management from IGNOU through distance education mode which is AICTE approved. Work ex of (total 17 yrs appx) 2 years full time construction, 5 years full time Infrastructure consulting, 9.5 years real estate development, construction management, marketing/sales and brokering of real estate deals. Self employed for 3 months and earning about INR 35 lacs annually.

My wife is a BDS/dentist and PG diploma in hospital management, has worked in reputed and very large hospital for about 5 years in operations and now working for 1.5 years in an US MNC in healthcare software field as Solutions manager earning about INR 10 lac CTC.

We have a 3.5 year old kid going to nursery.

We have quite active social lives, own personal cars and 2 wheelers, have a house of own, and live a good lifestyle, living in a metro city with great climate except heavy traffic conditions and pollution levels.

We are considering moving to Canada, primarily
  • to earn and save enough money than we do now, atleast double earning and saving that is should be able to save about INR 40 lacs annually or Canadian Dollars 80k per year.
  • Wish to have more comfortable life, less of traffic, breathe fresh air, able to spend more time with family.
  • We both have been wanting to be part of some social causes, something which will have a larger impact in improvement of life for the underprivileged part of the society, create jobs, but we are unable to do any active work other than contributing financially.

We are aware we will have negligible social lives as compared to now and have to face severe weathers, however still wish to consider this for overall development and the possibility of getting to do something impactful, for a social cause, for job creation.

Looking for valuable and genuine suggestions being a very crucial decision of our lives,
  • if we stand chances to get a PR,
  • If we will be able to get jobs and how soon,
  • what are chances of getting a job from India
  • if it is going to be worth living in Canada from financial goal point of view,
  • if we will be able to live through ‘not having friends and family around’,
  • if we will be able to manage in the weather conditions,
  • if we will over the 10 years horizon feel rewarded of have lived a good, healthy, meaningful life and have saved enough money to not worry about the uncertainities we live in?

Thanks much in advance.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
It's a very subjective matter, different people have different experiences. There are some things to consider:

1. Your experience, no matter how long, practically, would not count in Canada, because, you lack the "Canadian experience". Even after so many years of experience in civil engineering and allied fields, you would be starting afresh and may or may not earn the amount you are already earning here. A lot of people with experience of more than 6-7 years in fields other than IT, ended up in entry-level jobs and had to work their way up, again. Except, IT, your experience does not count much. You might have difficulty in adapting to such change. However, you might end up with a good paying job if you use tools like LinkedIn to make connections and seek relevant jobs and appear for many interviews before you migrate.
Canadian taxes are much higher than Indian taxes, so there's little you will save in your early years.

2. Your wife, if she wishes to practice Dentistry in Canada will have to go through Canadian licensure and frankly Canadian and Indian medical standards are like North and South Pole, it is observed that Indian medical and allied health professionals find it very hard to crack North American medical and professional examinations due to difference of education standards of both countries. It's a choice that you and your wife need to make, whether she wants to practice Dentistry in Canada or do something else if she decides to do something else, then what?

3. I am sure you and your wife will be able to adapt in Canada, but I am not sure how long it might take you, but your immigration Canada will be a boon for your child, he will get to spend his childhood and youth in a safe, liberal [not that India is very conservative] environment where there is rule of law, clean air and water, one of the best education systems in the world and universal health care.

Before you apply, you need to calculate and research two things
1. Whether you and your family are eligible to immigrate or not. You and your wife need to give the IELTS and on the basis of your score, use this tool to calculate your FSW points, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html#pointsA. Your need to score at least 67 out of 100 to become eligible for Express Entry. Once you ascertain that you are eligible, go ahead and calculate your CRS, using this tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. If you get CRS of => 450 +-, you might get an ITA in 2-3 months or even less.\

2. Assume the worst, that you and your wife's experience won't matter much, once you are in Canada, you need to figure out, what you'll do in Canada.

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
First question would be to see your eligibility and CRS scores. If you are typing on this forum, this shows that somewhere within you, you'd like to experience Canada. I had similar questions and my answer was that I'd rather go on this journey than regret not even embarking on it due to my comfort zone.

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks much dotslash227 for a comprehensive response.

1. Work Ex- yes, lack of canadian work ex is worrying. Since, If in case we are able to get a PR, are there any certifications or skills that will be worth adding before going there or after reaching there which will help find a job/fasttrack the career? Like any professions in high demand?

2. Wife - No she doesn't immediately plan to practise dentistry, her current employer in India is a US based worlds largest Healthcare IT company, she will be looking into jobs in similar companies.

3. Better life - yes we would be looking forward to this as so far this is the only big positive we see and for kids development ofcourse.

Before we apply:
1. Yes we did this, FSW points were 79 for wife and 75 for myself. Our idea is that my wife applies for the PR as primary applicant her CRS is upwards of 470. If wife gets PR and I go with her as a dependent (without getting PR as primary applicant myself), will I be able to work?

2. Since we are decently established here in India, we can not think of a situation to move there and keep searching for job infinitely. Once we have ITA and PR is awarded, how much time do we have to actually move there? I read we have to be 2.5 years in total in last 5 years from the date of award of PR for the PR to stay active. So say we get PR by December 2019, Can we move to canada sometime by Jan 2021?

It's a very subjective matter, different people have different experiences. There are some things to consider:

1. Your experience, no matter how long, practically, would not count in Canada, because, you lack the "Canadian experience". Even after so many years of experience in civil engineering and allied fields, you would be starting afresh and may or may not earn the amount you are already earning here. A lot of people with experience of more than 6-7 years in fields other than IT, ended up in entry-level jobs and had to work their way up, again. Except, IT, your experience does not count much. You might have difficulty in adapting to such change. However, you might end up with a good paying job if you use tools like LinkedIn to make connections and seek relevant jobs and appear for many interviews before you migrate.
Canadian taxes are much higher than Indian taxes, so there's little you will save in your early years.

2. Your wife, if she wishes to practice Dentistry in Canada will have to go through Canadian licensure and frankly Canadian and Indian medical standards are like North and South Pole, it is observed that Indian medical and allied health professionals find it very hard to crack North American medical and professional examinations due to difference of education standards of both countries. It's a choice that you and your wife need to make, whether she wants to practice Dentistry in Canada or do something else if she decides to do something else, then what?

3. I am sure you and your wife will be able to adapt in Canada, but I am not sure how long it might take you, but your immigration Canada will be a boon for your child, he will get to spend his childhood and youth in a safe, liberal [not that India is very conservative] environment where there is rule of law, clean air and water, one of the best education systems in the world and universal health care.

Before you apply, you need to calculate and research two things
1. Whether you and your family are eligible to immigrate or not. You and your wife need to give the IELTS and on the basis of your score, use this tool to calculate your FSW points, https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html#pointsA. Your need to score at least 67 out of 100 to become eligible for Express Entry. Once you ascertain that you are eligible, go ahead and calculate your CRS, using this tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp. If you get CRS of => 450 +-, you might get an ITA in 2-3 months or even less.\

2. Assume the worst, that you and your wife's experience won't matter much, once you are in Canada, you need to figure out, what you'll do in Canada.

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks ibtee,
Yes, in our case we plan to have my wife be the primary applicant as her CRS score is 470. Well yes, explore canada for sure, and we are assured of better life, however earnings play an important part whichever country we are in and to have an assurance will be much comfortable as we will be sacrificing that back in India

First question would be to see your eligibility and CRS scores. If you are typing on this forum, this shows that somewhere within you, you'd like to experience Canada. I had similar questions and my answer was that I'd rather go on this journey than regret not even embarking on it due to my comfort zone.

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks DelPiero07,
Yeah, so is why we plan to have my wife as primary applicant to better the chances. Valid Job offer, without a work permit is highly unlikely, Canadain work ex we do not have, french skills - not enough time to learn french as age meter is on, Provincial nomination - bleak possibility. Do you think my wife applying (CRS 470) will have a better chance at it? How would it work for me in case she gets a PR, do I also get a PR along with her as a dependent, will I be able to work/find job?

Your biggest issue is your age. Unless you have a valid job offer, Canadian work experience, french skills or provincial nomination your chances of obtaining PR are slim.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks much dotslash227 for a comprehensive response.

1. Work Ex- yes, lack of canadian work ex is worrying. Since, If in case we are able to get a PR, are there any certifications or skills that will be worth adding before going there or after reaching there which will help find a job/fasttrack the career? Like any professions in high demand?

2. Wife - No she doesn't immediately plan to practise dentistry, her current employer in India is a US based worlds largest Healthcare IT company, she will be looking into jobs in similar companies.

3. Better life - yes we would be looking forward to this as so far this is the only big positive we see and for kids development ofcourse.

Before we apply:
1. Yes we did this, FSW points were 79 for wife and 75 for myself. Our idea is that my wife applies for the PR as primary applicant her CRS is upwards of 470. If wife gets PR and I go with her as a dependent (without getting PR as primary applicant myself), will I be able to work?

2. Since we are decently established here in India, we can not think of a situation to move there and keep searching for job infinitely. Once we have ITA and PR is awarded, how much time do we have to actually move there? I read we have to be 2.5 years in total in last 5 years from the date of award of PR for the PR to stay active. So say we get PR by December 2019, Can we move to canada sometime by Jan 2021?

1. I don't think so that there would be much to do before you obtain your COPR and do your landing. Most of the certifications that you would acquire here, would not carry much value in Canada. On the other hand, Canadian certificates and courses will help you to get a job in Canada, not the Indian courses. Because of "Canadian Experience". You should search for what kind of jobs are available in Canada and their requirements, you can use the Job Bank, LinkedIn, Monster Jobs, there are numerous websites with job vacancies, that is something you would need to spend your time on. Also, be prepared to do a job, that would be considered a menial job in India, so that you don't remain idle and earn something once you are in Canada, such as a waiter, or cashier or a teller in a bank or a salesman in a shoe/optical/retail store. Not saying, those who work in this sector should be considered menial, but for some, it may not be acceptable, especially Indians, I don't know you personally, hence, the generalisation. I once worked in a McDonalds, just for the heck of it, and free burger and fries, not because I had to, I wanted to [PS: I was the only "menial" work employee who would come to work in a Sedan :p]

2. That is something she needs to decide as soon as possible, because, if she wants to practice dentistry in Canada, she is looking forward to a 2-4 year process, and would need to start studying everything again. I am an India educated Optometrist, and this is advice is from one allied health professional to another. I have decided to not pursue Optometry in Canada and venture into other fields [I am pretty good at mobile app development, so would be sticking to it, plus in IT, they don't really ask for "Canadian Experience"].

Yes, if you accompany her as a dependant, you will also be a PR and will enjoy the same rights as her and other PR's in Canada.

Your COPR is valid as long as your medicals and passports are valid, or which is expiring early. Let's say your got your Medicals on 20th June 2019 and passport expires on 20th June 2025 and you get your PPR ON 20th December 2019, you will have time till 20th June 2020 to do your landing. If the passport let's say is expiring on 20th Feb 2020, you will have time till 20th Feb 2020 to do your landing.

Once you have landed and confirmed your PR and have got your PR card, you are a PR for 5 years, which will automatically be extended if you have stayed on Canadian soil for 2 or more years. Minimum 2 years in recent 5 years on Canadian soil to keep your PR. Those 2 years may not be continuous.

Her CRS of 470 is by applying alone or as a partner? If it is together, give the IELTS, score the highest band possible and go ahead. If it is above 450 or even 450, go ahead and apply.

Reactions: RajKumarArora

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I understand your concerns about fresh air, child's development and basically better quality of life etc. However, I feel it is not worth leaving an established life and career like you both have. At 40 I would find it very difficult to start from entry level jobs, get education/certifications/tests/exams all over again. But then again that's my opinion. Monetarily, I don't see you being able to save 80k CAD. Even if the two of you together earn 200k CAD, saving 80k is hard. Earning 200k right of the bat will also not be likely.

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks again dotslash227 for the comprehensive reply. Shall start looking up on the job front more. are there any newspapers/websites you would recommend to understand the country/governments key business developments and decisions.

My wife is almost decided on not pursuing dentistry and sticking to Healthcare IT or allied career.

In case we haven't found a job yet, say post 11.5 months of getting the PR and as you said, the medicals have a 12 month validity, is their a way/is it advisable that we reach there before the 12 month window of medical gets over and come back to India within say 15 days, will that buy us more time find a job sitting in India?

Her CRS is 470+ by applying with partner, alone it should be 450+, provided she/we score very well in IELTS.

1. I don't think so that there would be much to do before you obtain your COPR and do your landing. Most of the certifications that you would acquire here, would not carry much value in Canada. On the other hand, Canadian certificates and courses will help you to get a job in Canada, not the Indian courses. Because of "Canadian Experience". You should search for what kind of jobs are available in Canada and their requirements, you can use the Job Bank, LinkedIn, Monster Jobs, there are numerous websites with job vacancies, that is something you would need to spend your time on. Also, be prepared to do a job, that would be considered a menial job in India, so that you don't remain idle and earn something once you are in Canada, such as a waiter, or cashier or a teller in a bank or a salesman in a shoe/optical/retail store. Not saying, those who work in this sector should be considered menial, but for some, it may not be acceptable, especially Indians, I don't know you personally, hence, the generalisation. I once worked in a McDonalds, just for the heck of it, and free burger and fries, not because I had to, I wanted to [PS: I was the only "menial" work employee who would come to work in a Sedan :p]

2. That is something she needs to decide as soon as possible, because, if she wants to practice dentistry in Canada, she is looking forward to a 2-4 year process, and would need to start studying everything again. I am an India educated Optometrist, and this is advice is from one allied health professional to another. I have decided to not pursue Optometry in Canada and venture into other fields [I am pretty good at mobile app development, so would be sticking to it, plus in IT, they don't really ask for "Canadian Experience"].

Yes, if you accompany her as a dependant, you will also be a PR and will enjoy the same rights as her and other PR's in Canada.

Your COPR is valid as long as your medicals and passports are valid, or which is expiring early. Let's say your got your Medicals on 20th June 2019 and passport expires on 20th June 2025 and you get your PPR ON 20th December 2019, you will have time till 20th June 2020 to do your landing. If the passport let's say is expiring on 20th Feb 2020, you will have time till 20th Feb 2020 to do your landing.

Once you have landed and confirmed your PR and have got your PR card, you are a PR for 5 years, which will automatically be extended if you have stayed on Canadian soil for 2 or more years. Minimum 2 years in recent 5 years on Canadian soil to keep your PR. Those 2 years may not be continuous.

Her CRS of 470 is by applying alone or as a partner? If it is together, give the IELTS, score the highest band possible and go ahead. If it is above 450 or even 450, go ahead and apply.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks again dotslash227 for the comprehensive reply. Shall start looking up on the job front more. are there any newspapers/websites you would recommend to understand the country/governments key business developments and decisions.

My wife is almost decided on not pursuing dentistry and sticking to Healthcare IT or allied career.

In case we haven't found a job yet, say post 11.5 months of getting the PR and as you said, the medicals have a 12 month validity, is their a way/is it advisable that we reach there before the 12 month window of medical gets over and come back to India within say 15 days, will that buy us more time find a job sitting in India?

Her CRS is 470+ by applying with partner, alone it should be 450+, provided she/we score very well in IELTS.

To find jobs, several websites like Monster Jobs, LinkedIn, LinkedIn is a very effective tool to find jobs and make connections that matter, however, the main website to find jobs suited for Express Entry immigrants is the Canadian Government's Job Bank, for which you can signup after creating your express entry profile.

Once you get your COPR, you can always do a soft landing, and that is, you land in Canada, complete the formalities, stay there for a week or two or three or a month, get your PR card and come back to India.

Once you are ready to move to Canada, you can go back to Canada as a PR, that is without any visa, without any problem.

However, it is very difficult to get a job in Canada while you are in India. It is possible but difficult.

AniKar

Jun 19, 2019
Thanks lampbreaker for the kind advice. We are very much coming to terms with the fact that finding a well paying job will be tough atleast for a few years and hence thinking to look up for jobs from India until we can and also explore possibility to make a visit to canada for a short duration after we get a PR, to keep the PR active (provided we get a PR :) ) this way we minimize the risk of leaving everything here in India. Meanwhile also try to see if we can add some canadian courses/certifications to the CV which might be useful in India as well in case things do not go as planned. At the moment this entire PR process has started to look like an Insurance policy which might or might not give a dividend.

I understand your concerns about fresh air, child's development and basically better quality of life etc. However, I feel it is not worth leaving an established life and career like you both have. At 40 I would find it very difficult to start from entry level jobs, get education/certifications/tests/exams all over again. But then again that's my opinion. Monetarily, I don't see you being able to save 80k CAD. Even if the two of you together earn 200k CAD, saving 80k is hard. Earning 200k right of the bat will also not be likely.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You’re getting good advice in this thread and I agree with what every one else is saying.

I wanted to add one thing. If you get PR (and with 470 that’s very possible), you also have the right to start your own business in Canada.

I have no idea if this is viable for you, but just in case you and your wife have a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit, and possibly family/friends who run businesses in India that can be expanded into Canada, you could do that.

I say this because I know someone who moved to Canada in his late 30s, and immediately started a business importing organic food from India. His family was in the organic food business in India so it was easier for him - he learnt the rules in Canada over a year and then started to get produce shipped. He’s doing very well now.

Just something to think about.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks lampbreaker for the kind advice. We are very much coming to terms with the fact that finding a well paying job will be tough atleast for a few years and hence thinking to look up for jobs from India until we can and also explore possibility to make a visit to canada for a short duration after we get a PR, to keep the PR active (provided we get a PR :) ) this way we minimize the risk of leaving everything here in India. Meanwhile also try to see if we can add some canadian courses/certifications to the CV which might be useful in India as well in case things do not go as planned. At the moment this entire PR process has started to look like an Insurance policy which might or might not give a dividend.
Your wife can move first and she can sponsor you later. I suspect the 470 CRS score is without accompanying spouse.

h1b2pr

Mar 22, 2017
Hello All,

I am from INDIA, a 40 year old, with a Diploma Civil Engg from DTE Mumbai/India & BTech civil degree in construction management from IGNOU through distance education mode which is AICTE approved. Work ex of (total 17 yrs appx) 2 years full time construction, 5 years full time Infrastructure consulting, 9.5 years real estate development, construction management, marketing/sales and brokering of real estate deals. Self employed for 3 months and earning about INR 35 lacs annually.

My wife is a BDS/dentist and PG diploma in hospital management, has worked in reputed and very large hospital for about 5 years in operations and now working for 1.5 years in an US MNC in healthcare software field as Solutions manager earning about INR 10 lac CTC.

We have a 3.5 year old kid going to nursery.

We have quite active social lives, own personal cars and 2 wheelers, have a house of own, and live a good lifestyle, living in a metro city with great climate except heavy traffic conditions and pollution levels.

We are considering moving to Canada, primarily
  • to earn and save enough money than we do now, atleast double earning and saving that is should be able to save about INR 40 lacs annually or Canadian Dollars 80k per year.
  • Wish to have more comfortable life, less of traffic, breathe fresh air, able to spend more time with family.
  • We both have been wanting to be part of some social causes, something which will have a larger impact in improvement of life for the underprivileged part of the society, create jobs, but we are unable to do any active work other than contributing financially.

We are aware we will have negligible social lives as compared to now and have to face severe weathers, however still wish to consider this for overall development and the possibility of getting to do something impactful, for a social cause, for job creation.

Looking for valuable and genuine suggestions being a very crucial decision of our lives,
  • if we stand chances to get a PR,
  • If we will be able to get jobs and how soon,
  • what are chances of getting a job from India
  • if it is going to be worth living in Canada from financial goal point of view,
  • if we will be able to live through ‘not having friends and family around’,
  • if we will be able to manage in the weather conditions,
  • if we will over the 10 years horizon feel rewarded of have lived a good, healthy, meaningful life and have saved enough money to not worry about the uncertainities we live in?

Thanks much in advance.
I have never been to Canada, I'm on the path to get PR. But, I have been living in the US past 12 years and I'm at similar age as you are and an Indian and thinking about relocating to Canada. I can relate and so, I'll add some thoughts.

At this age, taking such a decision is really a big thing. You have invested all your time and effort in building all that you have now will have to be unplugged and restart a whole new life. Its actually an exciting feeling at the same time very strenuous as you will have to think about various aspects of life, such as children education, career, housing, health etc.
Before making a decision, you need to realize that priorities in life changes depending on the circumstances in life. Today's priorities might not be same as tomorrow's priorities. After 10 years, you might not even think about going back to India.
New country gives you new challenges in life. You need to gauge yourself how ready are you to adapt and accept the changes and challenges life throws at you. Getting a job, settling down, making money all will happen and it might take its own course of time and challenges.
Most important of all is your attitude towards facing these challenges, rest all problems and concerns you listed are nothing to worry about.

Nobody can give you better suggestion than your own experience. So, go ahead and experience it. The worst that could happen is, you will earn an experience which will make you a better you.

Good luck!