+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I qualify for an LMIA with my current employer?

Simondial

Nov 19, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am working as a Carpenter in Northern Alberta, I have been with my current employer for a year and a half.
I was planning on applying through Express Entry then CEC without an LMIA, but it seems like it will be faster to go with the LMIA.

I am just wondering if I will qualify for an LMIA. I would love to stay with my current employer but I don't think my employer can reasonably prove that a Canadian cannot fill my position, I mean I'm not a rocket scientist.... so how would this work?

Also how long would my employer have to guarantee me a full-time position for? Is it just until my PR is approved?

I am a little nervous about approaching them as it is not something that has been done before at this site, but I know the same company have done LMIA's before at another site.

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The job would need to be permanent & full time for an LMIA to support an EE application.

You actually probably have a better chance of getting an LMIA as a carpenter rather than a rocket scientist ;). Especially as you say Northern Alberta rather than one of the main population agglomerations, skilled trades are almost always in demand.

(Have you taken the Red Seal exam? Have you checked to see if you need it?)

Go ahead & ask your employer, especially if they've done this before.

Simondial

Nov 19, 2012
I am getting my credential assessed at the moment, it is red seal equivalent.

When you say the job offer must be permanent and Full-Time, do you know the minimum length of time the job must be guaranteed for?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Simondial said:
I am getting my credential assessed at the moment, it is red seal equivalent.

When you say the job offer must be permanent and Full-Time, do you know the minimum length of time the job must be guaranteed for?
A permanent job means they are taking you on indefinitely. No length of time applies - it's not a contract role.