+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I lose my OHIP if I lose my job (PGWP)?

sabir777

Oct 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a PGWP that expires next July 2020. I recently got a full time job (last week), and my boss wrote a letter to confirm that I will be working there full time in order for me to apply for a temporary health card as a foreign worker. I went to ServiceOntario and got the health card after showing them the letter, however I am seriously considering quitting (personal reasons that I prefer not to mention on here) and looking for another job. I'm worried that I won't be able to find a full time job right away and if I remain unemployed for even a few weeks to a month, will ServiceOntario realize this and take away my health card?

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a PGWP that expires next July 2020. I recently got a full time job (last week), and my boss wrote a letter to confirm that I will be working there full time in order for me to apply for a temporary health card as a foreign worker. I went to ServiceOntario and got the health card after showing them the letter, however I am seriously considering quitting (personal reasons that I prefer not to mention on here) and looking for another job. I'm worried that I won't be able to find a full time job right away and if I remain unemployed for even a few weeks to a month, will ServiceOntario realize this and take away my health card?

Thanks in advance!
When you signed up for OHIP you had to prove that you would be employed for over 6 months. If you quit your job you would not qualify for OHIP and could be asked to repay any services you use. You only applied last week so if you quit and didn’t inform OHIP that you are no longer working for over 6 months that would be misrepresentation. If you do quit you should inform OHIP and then reapply when you are working again in a job that will last over 6 months.

Reactions: Anna Ngac

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
I had come across similar situation with my friend and he applied for a Medical emergency insurance to cover his medical needs and then got his OHIP back once he got a new job.

fooqs

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hi, I am searching for the same info. How did it work out for the OP? Did you continue with OHIP or had to get private insurance ?
Can someone please kindly elaborate ?
I'm on OWP & OHIP for me & family, was issued based on job contract (which was intially for the duration of my OWP till 2024). I was recently (this month) downsized at company after more than an year of working there. While i am searching/looking for new work, will also be applying for EI (this is my first time applying for EI, as i have always been working full time and have never lost a job before).
I'm just worried on applying for EI, will we loose OHIP coverage ? I'm worried as we're expecting a child in the next few weeks.
Or have i already lost OHIP coverage on the day i lost my job ? Should i apply for private insurance ?
As an addition, i have applied for PR and its been in process for sometime. I have not received eCOPR, but have gotten some updates and ADRs etc. Can my OHIP continue based on PR application or if i get eCOPR ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1083629

Hi, I am searching for the same info. How did it work out for the OP? Did you continue with OHIP or had to get private insurance ?
I'm on OWP & OHIP for me & family, was issued based on job contract (which was intially for the duration of my OWP till 2024). I was recently (this month) downsized at company after more than an year of working there. While i am searching/looking for new work, will also be applying for EI (this is my first time applying for EI, as i have always been working full time and have never lost a job before).
I'm just worried on applying for EI, will we loose OHIP coverage ? I'm worried as we're expecting a child in the next few weeks.
Or have i already lost OHIP coverage on the day i lost my job ? Should i apply for private insurance ?
As an addition, i have applied for PR and its been in process for sometime. I have not received eCOPR, but have gotten some updates and ADRs etc. Can my OHIP continue based on PR application or if i get eCOPR ?
OHIP doesn't track you automatically. In other words, it is based on honor code. The right thing would be to inform OHIP about your situation and apply for the private insurance. You OHIP has nothing to do with your COPR or PR application; there is a different set of eligibility. OHIP can figure out if you lied about your eligibility and can come back and ask you to return money for the medical services that you used while you were not eligible.

Personally, based on the fact that you are expecting a child, I would inform OHIP and get a private insurance. I know several people who didn't inform OHIP about losing their job and just got a new job after some time but they haven't used any OHIP services while they were in the transition period. I would not do that if I were you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You qualify for OHIP as long as you have worked over 6 months since you applied for OHIP.

Are you pregnant or is your partner. Did you get any form of severance? That would delay EI. I would try to secure a new job as fast as possible. EI isn’t a lot of money and babies are expensive. If you had extended healthcare benefits at your job you have lost those so you will need to pay for things like prescriptions, don’t have coverage for private or semi-private maternity recovery rooms. Don’t think there are any ward (4+beds) recovery rooms left so you will likely get a semi-private room without needing to pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: fooqs

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OHIP doesn't track you automatically. In other words, it is based on honor code. The right thing would be to inform OHIP about your situation and apply for the private insurance. You OHIP has nothing to do with your COPR or PR application; there is a different set of eligibility. OHIP can figure out if you lied about your eligibility and can come back and ask you to return money for the medical services that you used while you were not eligible.

Personally, based on the fact that you are expecting a child, I would inform OHIP and get a private insurance. I know several people who didn't inform OHIP about losing their job and just got a new job after some time but they haven't used any OHIP services while they were in the transition period. I would not do that if I were you.
Actually as long as OP has worked over 6 months after applying for OHIP and meets the residency obligations they should qualify for OHIP as long as their permit is still valid.

Reactions: fooqs

kuldip25

Mar 23, 2021

How do we inform in such case

rafim1

Nov 10, 2023
When you signed up for OHIP you had to prove that you would be employed for over 6 months. If you quit your job you would not qualify for OHIP and could be asked to repay any services you use. You only applied last week so if you quit and didn’t inform OHIP that you are no longer working for over 6 months that would be misrepresentation. If you do quit you should inform OHIP and then reapply when you are working again in a job that will last over 6 months.
I have been reading some of your replies on similar posts. I have the following questions, and I would really appreciate it if you could reply. You may have answered it already:

1. If someone works for 6 months for the employer specified during the OHIP application and then leaves the job after that, can they continue using their OHIP benefits even if they are no longer working full-time? I suppose Service Ontario told me to let them know if I am no longer working full-time, they did not say anything about 6 month period.

2. I am getting some conflicting answers about OHIP eligibility. I have a job offer from a company in BC (headquarters in the US but registered their Canadian entity in BC). The payroll service will deduct taxes in accordance with BC. Since I will be living in Ontario, I will be reimbursed or I will owe the difference while filing tax. Now, can I use this job to extend my OHIP since it will expire in July 2024?

Thanks a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been reading some of your replies on similar posts. I have the following questions, and I would really appreciate it if you could reply. You may have answered it already:

1. If someone works for 6 months for the employer specified during the OHIP application and then leaves the job after that, can they continue using their OHIP benefits even if they are no longer working full-time? I suppose Service Ontario told me to let them know if I am no longer working full-time, they did not say anything about 6 month period.

2. I am getting some conflicting answers about OHIP eligibility. I have a job offer from a company in BC (headquarters in the US but registered their Canadian entity in BC). The payroll service will deduct taxes in accordance with BC. Since I will be living in Ontario, I will be reimbursed or I will owe the difference while filing tax. Now, can I use this job to extend my OHIP since it will expire in July 2024?

Thanks a lot
1. Yes OHIP coverage will still be valid if you stop working for your employer after 6 months. Expiry date on OHIP can be linked to expiry date of your permit or be 5 years.
2. If you take this job it will not allow you to extend your OHIP. If the job includes an extended benefit plan you will have to look at the fine print to see if MSP coverage is required or whether any provincial health plan is fine. You will file you taxes as a resident of Ontario. You don’t have to file anything else. You wouldn’t qualify for OHIP since Ontario is missing out on contributions and taxes from your employer who is paying the BC government. That is why OHIP requires you to have an Ontario employer.

rafim1

Nov 10, 2023
1. Yes OHIP coverage will still be valid if you stop working for your employer after 6 months. Expiry date on OHIP can be linked to expiry date of your permit or be 5 years.
2. If you take this job it will not allow you to extend your OHIP. If the job includes an extended benefit plan you will have to look at the fine print to see if MSP coverage is required or whether any provincial health plan is fine. You will file you taxes as a resident of Ontario. You don’t have to file anything else. You wouldn’t qualify for OHIP since Ontario is missing out on contributions and taxes from your employer who is paying the BC government. That is why OHIP requires you to have an Ontario employer.
Thank you so much for your reply. On the second point, if this employer pays me through a payroll service in Ontario (currently in BC), will I then be eligible for OHIP? The company is incorporated in Ontario as an Extra-provincial Domestic Corporation with Share.

Thank you once again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your reply. On the second point, if this employer pays me through a payroll service in Ontario (currently in BC), will I then be eligible for OHIP? The company is incorporated in Ontario as an Extra-provincial Domestic Corporation with Share.

Thank you once again
If you are paid through Ontario you should be able to qualify although would verify with OHIP,