+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I lose my OHIP if I lose my job (PGWP)?

sabir777

Oct 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a PGWP that expires next July 2020. I recently got a full time job (last week), and my boss wrote a letter to confirm that I will be working there full time in order for me to apply for a temporary health card as a foreign worker. I went to ServiceOntario and got the health card after showing them the letter, however I am seriously considering quitting (personal reasons that I prefer not to mention on here) and looking for another job. I'm worried that I won't be able to find a full time job right away and if I remain unemployed for even a few weeks to a month, will ServiceOntario realize this and take away my health card?

Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a PGWP that expires next July 2020. I recently got a full time job (last week), and my boss wrote a letter to confirm that I will be working there full time in order for me to apply for a temporary health card as a foreign worker. I went to ServiceOntario and got the health card after showing them the letter, however I am seriously considering quitting (personal reasons that I prefer not to mention on here) and looking for another job. I'm worried that I won't be able to find a full time job right away and if I remain unemployed for even a few weeks to a month, will ServiceOntario realize this and take away my health card?

Thanks in advance!
When you signed up for OHIP you had to prove that you would be employed for over 6 months. If you quit your job you would not qualify for OHIP and could be asked to repay any services you use. You only applied last week so if you quit and didn’t inform OHIP that you are no longer working for over 6 months that would be misrepresentation. If you do quit you should inform OHIP and then reapply when you are working again in a job that will last over 6 months.

Reactions: Anna Ngac

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
I had come across similar situation with my friend and he applied for a Medical emergency insurance to cover his medical needs and then got his OHIP back once he got a new job.