+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will i get job right away in canada?

foreverwaiting

Star Member
Dec 16, 2008
Can anyone provide me information on apprenticeship, what fields are available, where training is given, what salaries are paid, etc.etc. I really want to explore the field 'careers in trade.' Any useful links are most welcome.

An example of my labour -

http://www.careersintrades.com/all/ApprenticeshipGuide-Eng.pdf

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally you just go and find a job with the possibility of apprenticeship. Sometimes they will sign you up to apprentice right away, often they want you to work your probation time before they decide. The time you work there before you are signed up counts towards your apprenticeship. In AB each trade has it's own protocol, could be 3 or 4 years and during that time you go to school for each year for 8 to 12 weeks. The trades website in AB is at http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/ and if you find a trade on there you think is interesting, you can look for job opportunities and salaries at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/prov_eng.aspx?OfferpPage=50&Student=No

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
If you like working outdoors, aren't afraid of bad weather, and can work long, long hours, I recommend you look at the work of electricity linemen. I wrote a report about their work, which is quite fascinating. and, from what I gather, pays quite well.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
Is there any options for professionals who want to immigrate to Canada to start completing some of this courses, classes, or licensing before they move???
That'd make so much sense. I do not understimate or diminish blue collars job, but why would they let a PhD work as a janitor, it doesn't make any sense. Just get a janitor to be a janitor and a Doctor to be a Doctor. You don't put a english teacher to teach french? You don't make a firefighter deliver the mail right?.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It isn't really the plan to hire somebody with a PhD to be a janitor but what happens is that the guy with the PhD who came in as a skilled worker without a job offer and then found out that there wasn't really a shortage in his field (should not happen so much anymore with the magic list of 38) or his education and experience did not really translate or he couldn't get licensed or he had just totally settled in the wrong town results in him not being able to get a job except as a janitor. Meanwhile, the janitor who is still sitting in old country trying to get a job offer and work permit in Canada can't get in because he can't get a work permit to work as a janitor if they can get PR's (PhD or not) to do it.

As for studying before moving, it's absolutely possible. They'd have to do their research to find out what they need to do to get licensed and they can possibly get their hands on the material they have to study and start studying on their own. It's unlikely that somebody in old country will be offering classes on how to get licensed in profession x in Canada but in most cases you'd be able to find a class like that in Canada and possibly join one online.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, the reason I asked is because I haven't found anything where to study or get licensed in the United States, I think it has to be once I get to Canada, I hope somebody would know something about studying abroad to get certified.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
An opinion found on the Edmonton Journal about the Canadian Dollar:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/fp/money/Goldilocks+dollar/1321727/story.html
Please post your comments.

nasim15

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28 Sep 2009
LANDED..........
10 APR 2010
Leon said:
Many of the blue collar jobs require some training or even apprenticeship but yeah, you can still get pretty good money just working as a helper or in a warehouse. For example, a guy I know started working for a contractor drywalling, no experience and he was right away making $16 and hour and in a couple of months got a raise to 18. Working in a warehouse can get you 17-18 full time and it's not necessarily heavy lifting or anything, people I've talked to say they have lifts for most of the stuff. One of my coworkers got a job as an apprentice sprinkler fitter starting at $22 and said he'd be making $45 in 4 years when he'd be done his apprenticeship. In comparison, I know a girl who got a job as a hotel receptionist, nice white collar job, and she was only making $12 and as you can see at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res_eng.aspx?ProvId=99&Keyword=call+centre+agent&Student=No most call centre jobs have you starting at $10.
This site is asking for international code below canadian code under postal code. What is this international code? Is it my home postal code? Putting any candian or home code is not accepted.

nasim15

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28 Sep 2009
LANDED..........
10 APR 2010
BCguy said:
That is a common cultural issue,Many New Immigrants complain that they have to take Demeaning Menial jobs,They cannot accept that in Canada Blue collar jobs are not considered demeaning,I know a Brazilian Woman Who is getting apprenticed as a Plumber to the horror of her Middle Class Family in Brazil,She is a Dental Technichian and her Family would rather She work as a 18$ a hour Dental Office Receptionist rather then 40$-45$ a hour as a plumber.They have even offered to pay for her apartment rental about 600$ a month rather then suffer the "shame"of having a daughter of dentists work as a plumber.Same with a Bangladeshi I know,He would rather work inj a call center at 11$ a hour rather then work as a warehouse worker at 16$,He said that the extra 5$ or 800$ a month is not worth the shame.Go figure,Can you eat Pride???Wear Pride????Spend Pride????So I guess its a major cultural issue,Well thankfully most Immigrants are not proud like most Canadians
I am a Bangladeshi.Waiting for visa stamp and want to move to Canada. Currently I am a Vice President of a local Bank at Dhaka. I am the deputy Head of a Division. I am an MBA from the University of Dhaka and has 20 years of Banking experience as a Credit Manager. But I know my experience would not be acknowledged by any canadian Bank. So I want to do warehouse job at $ 16 an hour. Is it available right now? Is it available as soon as I arrive in canada in Nov-Dec 2009? Is it available in Toronto? Please let me inform at : nasim15 @ gmail.com

nasim15

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
28 Sep 2009
LANDED..........
10 APR 2010
I want to know from the experienced seniors:

01. Which province is best suited to the south asians (for weather reason)?
02. Which province or city has comparatively better job prospect than other at the moment (blue color off course)?
03. Which province/city is comparatively less expensive at the moment?

I would mainly like to move to Canada to give my children world class education.

Work, it may be blue color or white color, I do not really care.

At the end of the day, the pay I receive, counts.

So I need guidance/advice on the above issues.

I am very good in driving and I enjoy driving also.

What is the requirement of being licensed to be a Bus Driver?

Thanks

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Just to add on this thread.

I landed in canada when the economy was in down turn. I registered with all agencies, they all liked my resume - qualifications and experience but there was not job. Whenever i had an agency was taking people for example is RIMS. I contacted the agency and they asked me do you have canadian experience, I said I have worked in a public sectors in U.K as a Ward Clerk, Administrator and HR. all were 10 years experience in UK. They told me our clients are looking for people with Canadian experience. U.K. is an english speaking country, the job was sorting job how could they, I just blamed the economy.

I was called for few interviews which I was sure if I was in UK I could have been hired but not.

after 5 months in line I was refered to an organisation Focus for Ethnic Women, they help new immigrant integrate into canada labour, they break the bridge between the employer not trusting your qualification by giving you unpaid 5 weeks job training, 2 weeks searching for placement and 5 weeks attaching you for a placement with an organsation. I was lucky I got an attachment with a public sector, I really worked hard for those 5 weeks in their HR department and a positon came up in the Benefits which I applied and I was hired. I stayed for 7 months without work.

There were factors that hindered me from getting Jobs as I couldnt drive, like one job i was offered in Guelph, Stratford , I just went for interviews to get smarter on canadian interview questions but i couldnts take them as I have a family to consider. If I was a lone without a family am sure on the 2nd month i could be working.

At the moment Driviers Licence staff in ontario have been on strike since May / June and we do not know when they will resume but am greatful I am now working and Ontario is taking care of my Child subsidy for daycare!!!!!!

hindiakopinay

May 1, 2011
Hello there,

Hope my post finds you well,

I am a Filipino currently working in Jordan (Middle East) as a driver for a very rich family.
As part of my job, I also do garden work, supervise and follow up with the maintainance of the mansion.
I am passionate about finding work in Canada. I look forward for working in either Toronto or Vancouver. Which city is more welcoming and which city is less strict in terms of procedures? How can I find an employer and what are the application procedures?

Thank you very much,
your help is appreciated :)

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
tin said:
Thank you...Thank you ,PMM....I learned a lot from you..

What job then for the foreign physicians who are in canada,who didnt meet yet the requirements ?....
Hi Tin,

I just wanted to let you know, my neighbour and husband landed in February 2011 as skilled immigrant. The wife is a physician as profession and has practiced in her country for 6 years. She has decided to apply and start a nursing carreer at conestoga college. With his qualification and evaluation of carreer she has been excempted 2 years so she will only do 1 year and 4 months in school to get a nursing degree.

She plans to practice nursing and then work on her profession while working as a registered nurse. With the husband I do not know his background but he works in a call centre to enable the family servive and then after the wife finishes to start working he will then work on his profession. I thought I could just give you an insight of what has happened to someone of your same level of career.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It still does not sound right that a physician from another country has to study 1 yrs. + 4 months to become a nurse in Canada. She should be able to bypass the college and take an exam to get licensed as a nurse but if her English is not good or she needs to review the material, a college program will help her get through it more easily.