+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be taxed if I import my car from USA to Canada?

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by krish.krishn2017, May 1, 2018.

  1. Hi,

    I live in USA. I bought a car here in USA in 2013. I am planning to move to Canada. If in case I take my car with me, will I be charged any importing tax? I don't want to sell this car as I need to sell it for a loss of 15000 usd. I bought it for 25000 usd . Right now it's value is 10000 USD only. Please advice. What is the best option for me?
  2. What will your status in Canada be? What kind of car? Where was it manufactured? How old is it? You can likely skip GST, PST, HST, etc. and duties as your car is likely settler's effects, but you probably have to pay the RIV fee, get it inspected, etc. with associated costs. Don't forget insurance, etc.
  3. My status in Canada will be Permanent Resident. It is Nissan Altima 2013. . It was manufactured in USA. It is 4 years old.
  4. Will you be establishing a residence in Canada for the first time or have you not had a residence in Canada for at least a year? If so, you probably just have to pay the RIV fee and the associated inspection costs. RIV fee is currently $299 Canadian or thereabouts.
  5. Have you completed your landing formalities? When you land you need to submit something called goods to follow/goods accompanying in which you need to mention about your car. If you do so, you can take the car without any import taxes to Canada.

Share This Page