+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be allowed to enter Canada?

tonyzz

Apr 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

My PR card is valid from 2020-7-29 to 2025-7-29 and I have been out of Canada since 2020-1-29. Due to some personal issue, I may only have chance to return to Canada in the late 2024 or the early 2025. Will I be refused to enter Canada at airport by CBSA officer as my card only has 1 year to expire? I am so worried about being refused to enter ....Hope someone can help me on this

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My PR card is valid from 2020-7-29 to 2025-7-29 and I have been out of Canada since 2020-1-29. Due to some personal issue, I may only have chance to return to Canada in the late 2024 or the early 2025. Will I be refused to enter Canada at airport by CBSA officer as my card only has 1 year to expire? I am so worried about being refused to enter ....Hope someone can help me on this
You won't be refused entry. You'll definitely be allowed back into Canada.

The only risk is that you may be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi everyone,

I agree with the observation by @scylla

HOWEVER, if you are outside Canada for nearly five years (January 2020 to late 2024 or early 2025), the risk of a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility being prepared, upon your return, is high. We cannot quantify that risk any more precisely than a ballpark generality, but a near five year absence does not leave border officials much leeway.

I wonder, though, if you meant you left Canada in January 2021, rather than 2020 (looking at the date your PR card was issued). A nearly four year absence is still glaring, but during the first five years following landing the risk of a 44(1) Report is probably not so much as it would be returning after a nearly five year absence.

Beyond that, the odds whether the 44(1) Report would result in a decision to terminate your PR status are even more difficult to forecast. It would depend in significant part on your reasons, your "personal issue," keeping you abroad so long.

But you will be allowed to enter Canada. If Reported, a second officer will review your reasons for remaining abroad, considering H&C factors. That officer may set aside the Report, and you would be good to stay. Or the second officer may issue a Removal Order, a decision terminating your PR status. But you would still be allowed to enter Canada and you can appeal. Whether you get to stay, in that event, depends on winning the appeal.

Reactions: danielhot

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

As a PR you have a right to enter Canada, you can NOT be refused entry into Canada (for as long as you have that PR status).
PR Card has nothing to do with proof of status (it can truly be proved by entering your name into the CIC system and getting a verification that you have the PR status, which is what CBSA does when you ask for admission). But valid PR card will help you board the plane , if you choose to fly into Canada.

Your biggest hurdle will be the Residency Obligation, in case if the CBSA agent grills you. Mind you, I was harassed, bullied and sent to secondary inspection and grilled about my residency each time I tried to cross into Canada by land, even though I was brand new Canadian PR from the US and there was no way I could be in breach of RO. Have traveled across the globe, crossed borders many times, never experienced anything like that.
So, just beware, you never know what kind of CBSA officer will inspect you at Canadian POE. If you get thoroughly inspected and your RO breach comes to attention, he may report you. You can still enter Canada, despite breach of RO, but you will have to appeal the report (if one is filed) and explain to immigration board why you lived so many years out of Canada and why you think you should be allowed to stay there permanently after your breach. There are H&C (humanitarian and compassionate) grounds under which you can seek lenience, just do some good research on those and see if your circumstances warrant requesting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: danielhot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Would add that you need to meet your RO to sponsor someone so if you get married or have a child you’ll need to wait 2-3 years to sponsor them even if you enter and aren’t reported.

Reactions: armoured