+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will draft dodging outside of Canada effect my PR chance?

dogcatdoc

Mar 23, 2017
Let's say I'm from country A, where conscription is mandatory. I dodged the conscription and am working in Canada instead and would like to apply for PR here. Country A then treated my draft dodging as a crime. Will Canada check for the criminal record for draft dodging/desertion and will this affect my chance of getting PR here? If there's anything else I can read from that'd be great too.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe an obvious question but you had status as a worker before you dodged the draft or after.

Generally police checks are an integral part of the application process so ultimately depends on what Country A shows on any police check to reflect dodging the draft and how immigration relate that to any crime in Canada, not easy I guess as no conscription in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dogcatdoc said:
Let's say I'm from country A, where conscription is mandatory. I dodged the conscription and am working in Canada instead and would like to apply for PR here. Country A then treated my draft dodging as a crime. Will Canada check for the criminal record for draft dodging/desertion and will this affect my chance of getting PR here? If there's anything else I can read from that'd be great too.
It may or it may not. You do have to submit a police check as part of the immigration process. If draft dodging creates a criminal records - then it's possible you may have a problem depending on the charge. Additionally, you need to be holding a valid passport both at the start and at the end of the immigration process. Some countries will refuse to renew or issue passports to people who have failed to meet these types of commitments.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
dogcatdoc said:
There's a policy of handing military deserters on a case-by-case basis (under refugee claims), but primarily because desertion is also a crime in Canada. But evasion is not desertion.

If you do have a criminal record, the rule is to apply Canadian law to determine if the same action would be a crime in Canada. Since there is no draft in Canada, there is no parallel in Canadian law. You *might* have a chance. You would have to write a letter of explanation...

It might be worth a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
if I have a mandatory military in my home country but didnt serve, would that be an issue? I travelled to Canada 7 years ago with student exemption from military but didnt serve. I also got my PCC with no criminal record.
You asked in other threads. Answer same as there. You have no criminal record, there's no issue, Canada doesn't care that you didn't do your military service in home country.