+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a two semesters (8 Month) Course be considered as 1 year of Canadian education or just 8months?

Hero007

Apr 13, 2019
Hi I got accepted for a two semester (8 Months) course in Canada, In order to continue staying there will this 8 semester course be considered as a full year of Canadian education or just 8 months for PR purposes...? Please suggest?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi I got accepted for a two semester (8 Months) course in Canada, In order to continue staying there will this 8 semester course be considered as a full year of Canadian education or just 8 months for PR purposes...? Please suggest?
If the course states 8 months, then that's what it be treated as. I assume that you are asking related to PGWP eligibility, not specifically for PR?

Reactions: Anthonymarshall

Hero007

Apr 13, 2019
If the course states 8 months, then that's what it be treated as. I assume that you are asking related to PGWP eligibility, not specifically for PR?
Let me put it this way... For the three year work permit... if a person completes 2 courses both of them 2 Semesters (8 Months) will he be considered for the three year work permit, because as far as I know one needs to complete 2 years of studies to be eligible to get 3 year work permit... if you know what I mean... I don’t know what PGPW is...

1299MehtabSingh

Nov 29, 2018
Punjab
LANDED..........
04-09-2019
Let me put it this way... For the three year work permit... if a person completes 2 courses both of them 2 Semesters (8 Months) will he be considered for the three year work permit, because as far as I know one needs to complete 2 years of studies to be eligible to get 3 year work permit... if you know what I mean... I don’t know what PGPW is...
As per new rules 1+1 year program leads to 2 year work permit. Is this true?

Reactions: canuck78

1299MehtabSingh

Nov 29, 2018
Punjab
LANDED..........
04-09-2019
A 3 year degree.
In more than one program it says
"If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years."
Now if I do two programs of one year each, then I may get 3 year work permit or permit equal to the combined length of the program.
How to get 3 year work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In more than one program it says
"If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years."
Now if I do two programs of one year each, then I may get 3 year work permit or permit equal to the combined length of the program.
How to get 3 year work permit?
Are you looking at the old or new requirements. You already knew about the new requirements.

1299MehtabSingh

Nov 29, 2018
Punjab
LANDED..........
04-09-2019
Are you looking at the old or new requirements. You already knew about the new requirements.
Dude I need clarification on this. I am really confused, I asked immigration agents and they confused me even more. Some told me that under new rules I will get only 2 year work permit if I complete two programs of 1 year each. But others say that there is no such change( I even showed them the above page)

Ask_Arsh

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2018
LANDED..........
12-06-2018
Let me simplify this:

If you pursue a 8-month course and your college or university states that it is a 1-year course, you'll get a 1 year Work Permit. But if they say, it's 8-months, you will get 8-month WP.

If you take a 8-month course and still want 3 years WP, do not apply for WP. Take another 1-year course (Which adds up to a total of 2 years), complete it and then apply for WP. This will qualify you for a 3 years WP.

Remember: You can only apply for WP once. This means if you complete your study and apply for WP and then again decide to study (without becoming PR), you CANNOT apply for WP again.

Reactions: Saurav_Omen

KPR1

Feb 19, 2021
Just want to confirm 16 months 4 consecutive semesters gives 3 years work permit, correct?