+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a Register Extract be accepted in place of Marriage certificate?

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
I submitted the true copy but they still asked me for a marriage certificate. So, I got a letter from the marriage registrar mentioning that the "true copy" is the only proof of marriage provided by TN govt if registered under hindu marriage act. Alternatively, you can file an RTI asking for the same info and use that as your supporting document.

Navs11

Star Member
Sep 8, 2021
I submitted the true copy but they still asked me for a marriage certificate. So, I got a letter from the marriage registrar mentioning that the "true copy" is the only proof of marriage provided by TN govt if registered under hindu marriage act. Alternatively, you can file an RTI asking for the same info and use that as your supporting document.
Can you help me here. I face the same issue. Now my application is returned and my spouse is in Canada. I went to Subregistrar office where my marriage was registered and enquired with them. They told me that I've to create a new application under 'Tamil Nadu form 1' and my spouse should be in India to get this done.

So what really happened in your case?
Did they accept the letter from marriage registrar? Did you provide any other document?
Appreciate your help help here, thanks!

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
Hi Navs11,
sorry to hear that your application was returned. So unfortunate. They could have atleast asked you to send the proof of marriage again.

In our case, we anticipated the issue after we had submitted the application. But some people mentioned in the forum that they cleared the entire process without any questions asked. Anyway, they put a hold to our application and asked us to submit the marriage certificate within 60 days. But IRCC did acknowledge that a true extract was received but they still needed a marriage certificate to continue.

During our marriage registration, we asked the registrar and he confirmed that the 6 page extract is the only proof provided to anyone who registered under the Hindu Marriage Act. But we still approached the registrar's office (after IRCCs reply), whether they can provide a marriage certificate. They clearly said a NO. The only option they could give was to redo the registration under Tamil Nadu Marriage Act with both of us present and get the marriage certificate after 30 days. So, we did the following.

1. We got a letter from the marriage registrar stating "the true extract is the only proof of marriage offered under Hindu Marriage Act" (with both the seals - registrar's and TN Govt's round seal)
2. Created a short manual on how to verify marriages on tnreginet website. Literally pasted screenshots and made a PDF, that the IRCC officer can easily follow and verify.
3. Wrote a cover letter explaining the whole issue.
4. We filed 2 RTIs - one to the concerned registrar's office and one to the IG of Registration. We did get reply from both the offices but it took too long that we submitted before the replies arrived.

We submitted 1, 2 and 3. Our document was accepted the same week and the issue was solved. I will suggest the same for you. I strongly recommend including RTI reply (although we didn't do, due to the time constraints)

Note on RTIs: Most of time, they only give you Yes or No response to your questions. So, make the question you ask on RTI is very precise and clear.

Reactions: Navs11
Aug 25, 2021
Hi Navs11,
sorry to hear that your application was returned. So unfortunate. They could have atleast asked you to send the proof of marriage again.

In our case, we anticipated the issue after we had submitted the application. But some people mentioned in the forum that they cleared the entire process without any questions asked. Anyway, they put a hold to our application and asked us to submit the marriage certificate within 60 days. But IRCC did acknowledge that a true extract was received but they still needed a marriage certificate to continue.

During our marriage registration, we asked the registrar and he confirmed that the 6 page extract is the only proof provided to anyone who registered under the Hindu Marriage Act. But we still approached the registrar's office (after IRCCs reply), whether they can provide a marriage certificate. They clearly said a NO. The only option they could give was to redo the registration under Tamil Nadu Marriage Act with both of us present and get the marriage certificate after 30 days. So, we did the following.

1. We got a letter from the marriage registrar stating "the true extract is the only proof of marriage offered under Hindu Marriage Act" (with both the seals - registrar's and TN Govt's round seal)
2. Created a short manual on how to verify marriages on tnreginet website. Literally pasted screenshots and made a PDF, that the IRCC officer can easily follow and verify.
3. Wrote a cover letter explaining the whole issue.
4. We filed 2 RTIs - one to the concerned registrar's office and one to the IG of Registration. We did get reply from both the offices but it took too long that we submitted before the replies arrived.

We submitted 1, 2 and 3. Our document was accepted the same week and the issue was solved. I will suggest the same for you. I strongly recommend including RTI reply (although we didn't do, due to the time constraints)

Note on RTIs: Most of time, they only give you Yes or No response to your questions. So, make the question you ask on RTI is very precise and clear.
Hello @snaptrooper,

I am Navs11's wife. Thank you for your detailed post regarding this - you are such great help! We are putting together the documents you have suggested. Would you mind sending the letter you got from the marriage registrar and the cover letter that you sent to IRCC? This way, we can cross-reference and ensure that our application is good to go!

My email is: naveenadayalan@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your help!!

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
Hi Navs11,
let me share it here

Letter of Explanation - Additional Document request

To
Family Class Unit,
Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Sub: Explanation regarding marriage certificates

Dear Officer,
This is in reference to my permanent residency application where I was required to submit additional documents. When the application was submitted, I had attached a true extract of hindu marriage register kept by the marriage registrar of the jurisdiction where the marriage was held. In the additional document request I was asked to submit the marriage certificate.

I would like to explain that marriages registered under The Hindu Marriage Act of the Parliament of India 1955 have a prescribed format in the State of Tamil Nadu. The Certification of Registration of said marriage is noted in Page 3/4 of the official document titled “True extract of Hindu marriage register kept by the marriage registrar office”. As per hindu marriage registration rules in the state of Tamil Nadu, a certificate of marriage is not provided and the true extract serves as the official proof of our marriage.

In support of my explanation, I am also attaching a letter from the marriage registrar of the jurisdiction where our marriage was held, confirming no separate certificate issued for the marriage. In addition, the marriage registrar has also directed to verify the registration on the Tamil Nadu Government - Registration Department’s website, if needed.

Therefore, I request you to consider the marriage extract as the official proof of marriage. In case if any other document is required, please let us know so that we can submit to you at the earliest.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
Sample letter from marriage registrar
===================================================================

Date:

To

Family Class Unit

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Government of Canada

Subject: Marriage Certification of ABC and XYZ

This is to certify that the marriage of ABC and XYZ was registered with the Registration Department, Government of Tamil Nadu, India under The Hindu marriage Act, 1955.

Date of Marriage : DDMMYYYY

Date of Registration : DDMMYYYY

The single document “True extract of Hindu marriage register kept by the marriage registrar office, [Location]” Serial No. [number written on top of the extract] was the only document issued by the Government of Tamil Nadu to the parties and shall be considered as the official proof of their marriage. No other separate certificate shall be issued. If need be, the marriage can be verified online at www.tnreginet.gov.in

Attached is a copy of True extract of Hindu marriage register kept by the marriage registrar office, [Location] Serial No.

Marriage Registrar

[Location]

Government of Tamil Nadu

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
RTI Format
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From
Name and Address

To
The Public Information Officer
[Address of the registrar office]
Tamil Nadu

(Alternatively, you can submit the same to
The Public Information Officer
Office of the Inspector General of Registration
100 Santhome High Road,
Chennai - 600028)

SUB : Information Regarding - details of documents

Dear Public Information Officer:
Under the Right to Information Act 2005, Section 6, I need some information. The details of the information are as follows

1. Details of the applicant
Name:
Email:
Address:
Phone:

2. Period to which the information relates: latest
3. Details of Information

Please provide the following information u/s 2(f), 2(i),2 (j) and 6(1) of the RTI Act 2005:

When a marriage is registered under The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 in Tamil Nadu, a document titled “True extract of Hindu marriage register kept by the marriage registrar office, [Location]”, was provided to the applicants on successful registration.
1. As per the rules and guidelines please inform whether the above mentioned document can be considered as the official proof of the registered marriage.
2. Is there a separate marriage certificate issued other than the above mentioned document?

4. Application fee details

Encl. Application Fee of Rs 10/- By Court Fee Stamp

5. Below Items are for your kind information and consideration

a. As per section 6(3) of the RTI Act 2005, In case, the requested information is held by another public authority,I request the PIO to transfer the application or part of it within FIVE days and immediately inform me about such transfer.
b. As per section 7(3) of the RTI Act 2005, In case, there are further fee required to provide the requested information, I request the PIO to inform me of the additional fee amount along with the calculations made to arrive at the amount.
c. As per section 7(8)(iii) and 7(3)(ii) of the RTI Act 2005, I request the PIO to inform me of the particulars of First Appellate Authority.

Jeja

Oct 23, 2020
I am also in the same boat, I have received ITA and just see that we have only the true extract of hindu marriage register and not the marriage certificate. So can I submit only this or do I need to submit anything else.

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
I am also in the same boat, I have received ITA and just see that we have only the true extract of hindu marriage register and not the marriage certificate. So can I submit only this or do I need to submit anything else.
Hi Jeja,
I would recommend to submit the "true copy" along with the supporting documents as I've mentioned in the above conversations. Give as many proofs as possible, the first time itself.

Jeja

Oct 23, 2020
Many proof’s in the sense, what else? I am planning to submit the true extract and a letter from the registrar. What else might be required?

anju486

Mar 13, 2023
@snaptrooper thank you for all the details, I also have another question regarding this, since I'm also from TN, I have only initials in the marriage certificate for my surname whereas my passport has the full surname, is that going to be a problem? is there an affidavit needed in these cases(although the name has never been "technically" changed, ie., eg.marriage certificate has my name "K.Anjana" whereas passport has "Anjana Krishna")?
is there anyone else who had the issue can you please advise, would appreciate your comments, thanks in advance!!

snaptrooper

Jun 27, 2020
@snaptrooper thank you for all the details, I also have another question regarding this, since I'm also from TN, I have only initials in the marriage certificate for my surname whereas my passport has the full surname, is that going to be a problem? is there an affidavit needed in these cases(although the name has never been "technically" changed, ie., eg.marriage certificate has my name "K.Anjana" whereas passport has "Anjana Krishna")?
is there anyone else who had the issue can you please advise, would appreciate your comments, thanks in advance!!
Hi Anjana,
I couldn't 100% say that you won't have the problem. While the best way to tackle this issue would be an affidavit and an explanation letter.
I did use such affidavits and explanation letters, later when I applied for travel visa for my parents.

So write an explanation letter, attach the affidavit and combine it along with your marriage certificate file and then upload/submit.

Reactions: anju486