+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will a 17+(going to be 18 in December 2021) be considered as dependent child in study permit?

MH Abrar

Sep 1, 2020
Hello,
Will a 17+unmarried (going to be 18 in December 2021) boy be considered as a dependent child in a Study permit? Still he has not completed high school. Completed 10th standard.

PS: Proof of funds and all other things are not an issue.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A dependent child is under 21. Teen should only need a visitor visa but may be asked to apply for a study permit. Will need study permit for post secondary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
Will a 17+unmarried (going to be 18 in December 2021) boy be considered as a dependent child in a Study permit? Still he has not completed high school. Completed 10th standard.

PS: Proof of funds and all other things are not an issue.
Will only be able to attend high school and won’t be able to work. A study permit will be required for college and university and you will need to pay international fees. Have you been attending school if you have only finished 10th?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Will only be able to attend high school and won’t be able to work. A study permit will be required for college and university and you will need to pay international fees. Have you been attending school if you have only finished 10th?
I assume her child just finished 10th grade so is now in Grade 11. Asking about study permit for final year of high school (I think).

MH Abrar

Sep 1, 2020
Yes i have been attending school. But i don't have any prior documents to prove that, because of Red Tape in my country's educational system.

MH Abrar

Sep 1, 2020
I assume her child just finished 10th grade so is now in Grade 11. Asking about study permit for final year of high school (I think).
My mother is about to apply for Study permit. And i am her dependent child. So, iam asking that if i will be able to accompany her or not.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My mother is about to apply for Study permit. And i am her dependent child. So, iam asking that if i will be able to accompany her or not.
You can be included in her application for a study permit with a visitor visa. If refused, They may ask you to apply for a study permit given you would be in your last year of high school. You can’t work. If you go on to university or college, you need a study permit plus you must show your own proof of funds.

MH Abrar

Sep 1, 2020
You can be included in her application for a study permit with a visitor visa. If refused, They may ask you to apply for a study permit given you would be in your last year of high school. You can’t work. If you go on to university or college, you need a study permit plus you must show your own proof of funds.
You mean to say that i can study there as my mother holds a study+work permit there. But i will not be permitted to work there? And if i go college/university then i have to apply for study permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You mean to say that i can study there as my mother holds a study+work permit there. But i will not be permitted to work there? And if i go college/university then i have to apply for study permit?
You can’t work at all if you are a dependant of a parent on a study permit and in high school. Even if you need a study permit for high school, you can’t work. You can only work 20 hours a week on a study permit for post secondary studies. Even your mother can only work 20 hours per week campus on a study permit.

Your mother needs to show proof of funds to support both of you. She needs to pay first year tuition too.

If you are entering your final year of high school then start looking a colleges and univiersities and the fees. You need to show that you can afford your studies as well as your mother.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nobody can tell you whether you’ll be able to accompany your mother. It is around 50/50 when it comes to spouses and children being able to accompany international students. It is dependent in numerous things including whether the person has the extra financial resources to support all the family members. There does seem to be increased approval for family members of advanced degrees like masters and PhDs. Given your age and that you are in 11th you should be considering whether your family has the extra funds to support another person paying international tuition. Would focus on seeing if your mother is granted the study permit. That is the first obstacle.