+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will 1 Year Diploma (Not PGD, just Diploma) from Virtual University (Pakistan) evaluated by WES?

waahm7

Sep 6, 2020
Hi,

VU was offering 1-year PGD before which was recognized by WES as stated in this thread (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/has-any-had-their-1-year-pgd-from-virtual-university-pakistan-evaluated-by-wes.533106/) but VU is no longer offering PGD instead it is offering just Diploma in xyz instead of PGD in xyz. I am a bit confused about will the Diploma in xyz evaluated by WES. I don't want to end up wasting 1 year of my life. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sep 30, 2020
Hi,

VU was offering 1-year PGD before which was recognized by WES as stated in this thread (https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/has-any-had-their-1-year-pgd-from-virtual-university-pakistan-evaluated-by-wes.533106/) but VU is no longer offering PGD instead it is offering just Diploma in xyz instead of PGD in xyz. I am a bit confused about will the Diploma in xyz evaluated by WES. I don't want to end up wasting 1 year of my life. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi did you get any confirmation about VU PGD evaluation by WES
MANY THANKS

rashidss

Aug 26, 2020
Hi guys, any word on this? Their website still has the PGD courses listed... :/
ALSO, what about Diplomas (not PGD)??

Last edited:

Ali Waheed

Star Member
Sep 13, 2020
Here are my two cents on this. We won't know until late next year or probably until 2022 whether "VU Diploma" will get us two or more certificates or to put it in another terms, recognised by WES. The reason for this is simple. No one before has opted for "VU Diploma" to increase their CRS points for Canadian Immigration. This only became the option when VU discontinued PGD this very year (2020). So I believe it is of no use to ask this question at this moment.
If you are someone like me who can not wait almost 2 years just to get confirmation on this, here is a better question,

The better question to ask would be, what other alternatives are there to VU PGD, that people had actually opted for before and had it verified from WES, IQAS etc.

I am still looking for this answer as I do not want to opt for a Master's Degree in Pakistan for the following reasons:
1 - The point difference in Master's Degree and Two or more certificates is not that significant in my opinion. (just 7 points difference)
2 - It is hard for people with permanent jobs to pursue Master's without quitting the job. (Trust me I have tried to juggle both for one semester)
3 - Even if you somehow do the 2 year Master's, you don't even know whether it will be recognised as equivalent to 2 years Canadian Master's. (a lot can change in 2 years; also I know people who got equivalency to Canadian Master's and others with SAME UNIVERSITY and SAME DEGREE not get it)
4 - It takes 2 freakin' years......

I think this is a very important discussion that will dictate the future of so many of us. So please if someone knows anything on this, or knows any similar thread with good answers please share it with us.

Sep 30, 2020
Here are my two cents on this. We won't know until late next year or probably until 2022 whether "VU Diploma" will get us two or more certificates or to put it in another terms, recognised by WES. The reason for this is simple. No one before has opted for "VU Diploma" to increase their CRS points for Canadian Immigration. This only became the option when VU discontinued PGD this very year (2020). So I believe it is of no use to ask this question at this moment.
If you are someone like me who can not wait almost 2 years just to get confirmation on this, here is a better question,

The better question to ask would be, what other alternatives are there to VU PGD, that people had actually opted for before and had it verified from WES, IQAS etc.

I am still looking for this answer as I do not want to opt for a Master's Degree in Pakistan for the following reasons:
1 - The point difference in Master's Degree and Two or more certificates is not that significant in my opinion. (just 7 points difference)
2 - It is hard for people with permanent jobs to pursue Master's without quitting the job. (Trust me I have tried to juggle both for one semester)
3 - Even if you somehow do the 2 year Master's, you don't even know whether it will be recognised as equivalent to 2 years Canadian Master's. (a lot can change in 2 years; also I know people who got equivalency to Canadian Master's and others with SAME UNIVERSITY and SAME DEGREE not get it)
4 - It takes 2 freakin' years......

I think this is a very important discussion that will dictate the future of so many of us. So please if someone knows anything on this, or knows any similar thread with good answers please share it with us.
I am in similar situation and want to do a PG diploma in digital marketing. One option probably could be to go for a top up BA degree for instance from Arden university online. Any one - any thoughts on that ??

BTW VU is showing diploma for one year so why do you think it will not be counted for additional points?
kind regards

Ali Waheed

Star Member
Sep 13, 2020
I am in similar situation and want to do a PG diploma in digital marketing. One option probably could be to go for a top up BA degree for instance from Arden university online. Any one - any thoughts on that ??

BTW VU is showing diploma for one year so why do you think it will not be counted for additional points?
kind regards
Online Learninf is not acceptable. VU does not fall in online learning category it falls in distant learning.
And I am not saying we won’t get points for that, all I am saying is we can’t know for sure until someone does it and gets it evaluated, which won’t probably happen till early 2022

Hammadham

Mar 7, 2021
VU has just changed the name of it from PGD to Diploma, but the requirements are the same i.e. you still got to have a bachelors degree to get admission. So technically it is still a post graduate degree.

Oct 21, 2020
VU has just changed the name of it from PGD to Diploma, but the requirements are the same i.e. you still got to have a bachelors degree to get admission. So technically it is still a post graduate degree.
This is something that is open for discussion. If everything is the same why was there a need to change the name. Since fall of 2020 was the first batch of this new diploma lets wait till the end of 2021 to see what it was evaluated as. However, there are many PGDs available as an alternate to VU, though a little on the higher side of the cost but worth looking into. Some are offered on a 1 year study basis, some 4 months blended learning basis, some on 100% exemptions based on your prior studies and experience.

Ali Waheed

Star Member
Sep 13, 2020
An update for everyone

Diploma from VU is actually attested along with your Bachelor's as 2 or more degrees. No way for me to upload the ECA so following is the result of VU Diploma (from IQAS)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Credential Authentication: Verified directly by the institution or issuing authority.

Credential Name: Diploma in Entrepreneurship and SME Management Year Awarded: 2022

Issuing Body: Virtual University of Pakistan

Country of Education: Pakistan
Program Description: One-year graduate diploma program, following at least a two-year Bachelor's degree

COMPARATIVE LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENT IN CANADA
The Bachelor's degree generally compares to the completion of a four-year Bachelor of Science degree with a focus in software engineering.

The Diploma generally compares to the completion of a post-secondary Certificate with a focus in entrepreneurship and sme management.