+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's Work Permit if divorce

halley627

Sep 7, 2013
Hello guys,

May I ask you a question regarding divorce? Right now I am a phd student in Canada and my wife owns the work permit conditioning on my study permit? If we get divorced, my question is whether her work permit is still valid or not?

Thank you very much

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
halley627 said:
Hello guys,

May I ask you a question regarding divorce? Right now I am a phd student in Canada and my wife owns the work permit conditioning on my study permit? If we get divorced, my question is whether her work permit is still valid or not?

Thank you very much
When you are divorced, you have to inform CIC. It will be up to them to cancel the work permit or not.

dental15

Oct 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mostly, ur wife work permit will be cancel...... She has to go back to her country.

OyBosEnEmm

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Visa Office......
Accra
halley627 said:
Hello guys,

Thank you very much
Why would you want to divorce your wife? VO are also human and they will most likely assume you weren't genuinely married and that you only did to get a spouse visa approved and this might bring your visas into question and subsequently both visas cancelled and you guys sent back home.

If you are genuinely married I would suggest you humbly settles all issues relating to divorce with your spouse and continue living happily. Even if you caught her cheating she can be forgiving and if we'll managed such will never reoccur. Divorce could be a few letter word but I tell you it's a stigma that slows down ones successful journey if not careful.

I am sorry if have intrude into your personal but that's my view.

I wish you all the best.

anusreesub

May 6, 2015
halley627 said:
Hello guys,

Thank you very much

hi, As far as i Know, if your wife has open work permit, its independent of your visa. Its a separate permit altogether. I dont think it will change after divorce. That being said,, its always better to discuss these things with a immigration consultant rather than here. They could provide legal advice and help if needed.

mnemaie

Nov 22, 2018
Hello. I am a student in Canada and I have a study permit. Last summer (2018) I went to my country and I got married. I applied for my wife spousal open work permit and it get approved. we had decided to come to Canada in this summer (2019). However, things got worse between us and we decided to get divorce. what happens to he visa after our divorce. Considering the fact that she has not received her open work permit yet she just has visa. Can I invalidate her visa before coming her coming to Canada? her visa is valid up to August 2020.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I am a student in Canada and I have a study permit. Last summer (2018) I went to my country and I got married. I applied for my wife spousal open work permit and it get approved. we had decided to come to Canada in this summer (2019). However, things got worse between us and we decided to get divorce. what happens to he visa after our divorce. Considering the fact that she has not received her open work permit yet she just has visa. Can I invalidate her visa before coming her coming to Canada? her visa is valid up to August 2020.
No - you cannot invalidate her visa. She can keep the visa if you divorce.

RCIC#708111

Aug 26, 2022
Hello guys,

Thank you very much
If you and your spouse divorce or your common-law relationship ends after you’ve received your spousal open work permit, your permit will not be revoked. However, if your relationship ends while your application is still processing, you must inform IRCC of your updated relationship status, and will no longer be eligible for a SOWP.

anuragipushp

Star Member
Dec 24, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Why would you want to divorce your wife? VO are also human and they will most likely assume you weren't genuinely married and that you only did to get a spouse visa approved and this might bring your visas into question and subsequently both visas cancelled and you guys sent back home.

If you are genuinely married I would suggest you humbly settles all issues relating to divorce with your spouse and continue living happily. Even if you caught her cheating she can be forgiving and if we'll managed such will never reoccur. Divorce could be a few letter word but I tell you it's a stigma that slows down ones successful journey if not careful.

I am sorry if have intrude into your personal but that's my view.

I wish you all the best.
I know it’s an old thread and all but this has to be the saddest thing that I’ve read on here. This person believes that cheating is forgivable and apparently they won’t do it again if you cry and beg them to stay in your life. Kind of off-topic but god damn what a clown world we live in.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You mean the SOWP remains valid till the study permit remains valid even after divorce?
I'm not sure what you mean by "till the study permit remains valid".

SOWPs always have expiry dates. The SOWP remains valid until the expiry date on the SOWP, even after divorce.

The SOWP and study permit don't always have the same expiry date. What matters is the expiry date on the SOWP.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I'm not sure what you mean by "till the study permit remains valid".

SOWPs always have expiry dates. The SOWP remains valid until the expiry date on the SOWP, even after divorce.

The SOWP and study permit don't always have the same expiry date. What matters is the expiry date on the SOWP.
Thanks for explaining that.