+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's visa accepted. Can she stay in Canada on her TRV when sending passport

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
I just got the good news of my wife's PRV being accepted and the request for her passport. She is here in Canada on a TRV. I'm wondering if she can stay in Canada while we send her passport in, and when the passport comes back go into the states and come back to land. The only problem I can see with this is she would be in Canada for a little while without a passport, is this aloud? She has about 3 months left on her TRV and I can't see it taking more then 3 months. Also they have atached an Appendix 'A' that needs to be sent in with information about the applicant and spouse. Do I need to fill in my information under Spouse or not? Lastly, what delevery and return methods does everyone recommend, this is going to Singapore. What are the apox costs and times, and how long does it take the office to attach the visa?

I just want to say Thank you very much to everyone on the forum who has helped me with the process. I don't think I could have done it without you guys. I am quite pleased with how quick and smooth the whole process went after sending in my application. It only took about 4.5 months from start till now and have not been asked to send anything else in. After reading so many horror stories on here I feel pretty lucky, and I wish good luck to those who are still waiting.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
As long as it's allowed for her passport to be mailed/couriered across international borders into and out of her country, it shouldn't be an issue that she's in Canada for awhile without it. Obviously she won't be able to travel. And I would send it via a courier as opposed to postal service - just because it's a bit more secure and better to track.

I am a little concerned that the process seems, as you said, "fast" - and that you've been asked to submit additional information on the Appendix A, so just in case, be sure you photocopy the bio-data page and the page showing her last entry to Canada before you send off the passport - that way she'll have what she needs to extend her status, if necessary. Some visa offices DO request the passport before they're actually ready to issue PR status, so it's a good idea to be prepared.

Also, not sure how to answer your question about how to fill out Appendix A . . . I checked the online Appendix A form in the Region Specific forms for Indonesia, and couldn't see where it asks for any info to be filled out. Do you have a link to the form?

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
Thanks RobsLuv

I dont think this appendix A is anywhere on the website. Its just a piece of paper atached to the letter requesting the passport. It says they need to be informed if there was any changes to the family (divorce, births, deaths) etc, so maybe thats all this form is for. Either way I think if just need to fill in her and my info again. At the bottom of this page it asks you how you want them to return the visa and you need to check either airmail, registered mail, courier, or in person. I think I will send Singapore an email just to make sure its ok.

Incase her visa needs to be extended do they just need photocopies of those pages you mentioned?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

willnv said:
Thanks RobsLuv

I dont think this appendix A is anywhere on the website. Its just a piece of paper atached to the letter requesting the passport. It says they need to be informed if there was any changes to the family (divorce, births, deaths) etc, so maybe thats all this form is for. Either way I think if just need to fill in her and my info again. At the bottom of this page it asks you how you want them to return the visa and you need to check either airmail, registered mail, courier, or in person. I think I will send Singapore an email just to make sure its ok.

Incase her visa needs to be extended do they just need photocopies of those pages you mentioned?
what may be a problem is that Singapore may not send the passport outside their processing area, so it would have to sent back to Thailand and then someone there forward it to Canada.

PMM

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the reply PMM

On this appendix 'A' it asks you how you want Singapore to return the passport: airmail, registered mail, courier, or in person. On the next page it tells you to send them a Self addressed envelope for them to return the passport in. It also says if you choose to have the passport returned by courier then you will have to pay Cash On Delivery. So I can't see what you say being a problem, and if it is, her sister in Thailand can send it to Canada.

The only thing im concerned about is if she's aloud to be without her passport(which also contains her TRV) in Canada, and/or if the Singapore office would care either way. I guess I'll have to try to send them an email but I don't know if I'll get a reply and time soon because of the holidays.

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
So I e-mailed the high comission in Singapore and they informed me it was fine for my wife to stay here while sending in her passport. I opted to send the passport by registered mail and have it returned by air mail as I'm currently un-employed and low on cash. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks for the passport to arrive in Singapore so I was expecting to have it back in about a month and a half. I've been checking the tracking number on canadapost.com, its been almost 3 weeks and it still only says item has left canada. Then, much to my amazment, the passport and COPR came today. Stange that it never said the mail had been acepted in Singapore, and pretty amazing that it took less than 3 weeks for the whole process, using only registered mail. I'm glad I didn't choose to send it by courier as that would have cost about 100 bucks and probably would have been less then a week quicker. Over all I'm very pleased in how "quick" the whole process was. I would have to check the date that I sent my application but I think its only been about 4.5 - 5 months from sending the application to CIC Mississauga to having the visa and COPR in my hand.

Now I have to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to have her land.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
So, Singapore sent back the passport directly to Canada instead of Thailand for your case?

Thank you.

Habib