+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife was main applicant for Int studentvisa & my OPW, can I now be the main applicant now for RNIP?

Sep 16, 2022
Hey guys!

So to keep it short. We’re now in Canada, she’s currently studying at the Okanagan College; a DLI (designated learning institution), we found out about the RNIP immigration program and like the participating communities, love Vernon and Lake Country! (Lake lovers here)

Analyzing our situation, I may have greater chances in terms of job experience because I have NOC B (Supervisor), studies, age and English, HOWEVER, I just hold the open work permit and I was NOT the main application when we applied for her study visa and my permit. We heard stuff about a recent update but can't find it online nor anywhere LOL! And reading something that can’t find anymore about supposedly an update in which only the student can apply for being the main applicant.

My wife was (and is?) the main applicant for the visas we got. Can I be/change to be the main applicant for either PR, PNP, etc. Or as she was the main application, do we have to do it through her??

Thanks a lot, I’ve tried hard finding this answer but haven’t so far, so really appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys!

So to keep it short. We’re now in Canada, she’s currently studying at the Okanagan College; a DLI (designated learning institution), we found out about the RNIP immigration program and like the participating communities, love Vernon and Lake Country! (Lake lovers here)

Analyzing our situation, I may have greater chances in terms of job experience because I have NOC B (Supervisor), studies, age and English, HOWEVER, I just hold the open work permit and I was NOT the main application when we applied for her study visa and my permit. We heard stuff about a recent update but can't find it online nor anywhere LOL! And reading something that can’t find anymore about supposedly an update in which only the student can apply for being the main applicant.

My wife was (and is?) the main applicant for the visas we got. Can I be/change to be the main applicant for either PR, PNP, etc. Or as she was the main application, do we have to do it through her??

Thanks a lot, I’ve tried hard finding this answer but haven’t so far, so really appreciate it.
Yes, you can be the main applicant for PR.

Reactions: Canada-Dreamer1900
Sep 16, 2022
Yes, you can be the main applicant for PR.
Hey! Thanks a lot for the quick answer. We really can't find the "update" or the news but we're afraid that as my wife was who applied for the initial visas we have, then we're just able to apply with her, because I'm literally meeting the requirements faster than her. Obviously she will finish her studies during two years.

Thank you! <3

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey! Thanks a lot for the quick answer. We really can't find the "update" or the news but we're afraid that as my wife was who applied for the initial visas we have, then we're just able to apply with her, because I'm literally meeting the requirements faster than her. Obviously she will finish her studies during two years.

Thank you! <3
I don't know what update or news you're talking about. Anyone can be the main / primary applicant.

Sep 16, 2022
I don't know what update or news you're talking about. Anyone can be the main / primary applicant.
This is the update: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

"Who are principal foreign nationals
The principal foreign national is the first foreign national of the couple who obtained a study or work permit or was deemed authorized to work under the provisions of section R186 other than under paragraph R186(w).

In assessing eligibility for a spousal open work permit, the principal foreign national continues to remain the principal in the couple.

The principal foreign national cannot obtain a spousal open work permit under the C41 or C42 category based on the dependent spouse’s spousal open work permit.

For example, if the principal foreign national is a study permit holder and the dependent spouse obtains an open work permit under LMIA exemption code C42 for spouses of study permit holders, the study permit holder can not quit schooling and obtain a work permit in the C41 spousal category on the basis of their spouse’s C42 open work permit and employment in a NOC 0, A or B occupation."

--

Basically, my wife was the principal foreign national (main applicant), and not sure if this is related to me trying to be the one who should apply for PR under RNIP. Although, from some Youtube videos I'm watching, it looks like this is related to couples in which the student was quitting school and get attached to their spouse holder of an open work permit and that was a loophole.

I think this isn't PR related but more open work permit related for students who quit their universities.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is the update: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

"Who are principal foreign nationals
The principal foreign national is the first foreign national of the couple who obtained a study or work permit or was deemed authorized to work under the provisions of section R186 other than under paragraph R186(w).

In assessing eligibility for a spousal open work permit, the principal foreign national continues to remain the principal in the couple.

The principal foreign national cannot obtain a spousal open work permit under the C41 or C42 category based on the dependent spouse’s spousal open work permit.

For example, if the principal foreign national is a study permit holder and the dependent spouse obtains an open work permit under LMIA exemption code C42 for spouses of study permit holders, the study permit holder can not quit schooling and obtain a work permit in the C41 spousal category on the basis of their spouse’s C42 open work permit and employment in a NOC 0, A or B occupation."

--

Basically, my wife was the principal foreign national (main applicant), and not sure if this is related to me trying to be the one who should apply for PR under RNIP. Although, from some Youtube videos I'm watching, it looks like this is related to couples in which the student was quitting school and get attached to their spouse holder of an open work permit and that was a loophole.

I think this isn't PR related but more open work permit related for students who quit their universities.
This isn't related to applying for PR.

miratcan

Mar 12, 2024
So , I am also in the same situation as you. And, what did you do at that time, did you become the main applicant?