+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

wife just got off goverment assistance

pacostanley

Feb 7, 2013
sorry but have a few questions. how do i post a question in here? Im mexican my wife is canadian citizen by birth, we have a child together, problem is that she was receiving assistance from goverment. Question is how long she has to wait to sponsorme after she stop getting assistance, im an electrician(apprentice)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Re: Spousal sponsorship

how to post a question ? just like you did now!

Your sponsor can not be on welfare at the moment of applying, and she will have to show that she has now the means and a plan on how to support you when you arrive in Canada.
If she was receiving child benefit, that's allowed, it's not welfare.
If she stopped getting welfare now, and has a more stable situation, then she can begin the sponsorship process.
Good luck,
Sweden

pacostanley

Feb 7, 2013

thanks as funny as it sounds still dont know how to post a question, this actually did it trying to posting it in somebody elses question,
Well she is gonna stop reciving welfare next month and will be moving with her grandmother, she has a big 3 bedroom house plus the basement, and she lives on her own so that covers housing, also her granmother is gonna babysit kids while she go gets a job, my question would be after she is off assistance how long she has to wait to apply? lets say she is off assistance and has a job , can she apply after a month or two?

pacostanley

Feb 7, 2013

Sweden said:
how to post a question ? just like you did now!

Your sponsor can not be on welfare at the moment of applying, and she will have to show that she has now the means and a plan on how to support you when you arrive in Canada.
If she was receiving child benefit, that's allowed, it's not welfare.
If she stopped getting welfare now, and has a more stable situation, then she can begin the sponsorship process.
Good luck,
Sweden

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Hey Paco,

There wouldn't be any "Waiting Time" between your wife being on welfare, and the time to sponsor you. She just has to able to make a good case that she will be able to support you. I would suggest waiting until she finds a job, and then beginning the process. That way, she can show that she is employed and she'll be approved to sponsor very quickly. Good luck!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, I would wait a month or two after she gets a job and everything is settled, before sending in the sponsorship application. She can sponsor right after getting off welfare, but in the long run it could be faster to wait until she gets a job, because the visa officer does want to see that you two have a plan to support yourselves.