+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife denied PR due to criminal history

canadug

Apr 26, 2006
Califronia
Hello,

I am a Canadian and my wife an American. WE live in California. I have been approved to be a sponsor and my wife is in the PR process. She has been deemed inadmissable due to 3 arrests in the US for civil disobedience that occured 20 years ago. We must fill out the application for Rehab form Buffalo sent us. I find it crazy that she is being denied for protesting nuclear weapons sites some 20 years ago..but such is life. We contacted a Canadian immigration lawyer and he said he would help us for $1500.....Seems like a lot of money to help us fill out a form. Can anyone help us? Does anyone have an immigration lawyer they can recommend? Has anyone had this problem?

Thank you

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadug said:
Hello,

I am a Canadian and my wife an American. WE live in California. I have been approved to be a sponsor and my wife is in the PR process. She has been deemed inadmissable due to 3 arrests in the US for civil disobedience that occured 20 years ago. We must fill out the application for Rehab form Buffalo sent us. I find it crazy that she is being denied for protesting nuclear weapons sites some 20 years ago..but such is life. We contacted a Canadian immigration lawyer and he said he would help us for $1500.....Seems like a lot of money to help us fill out a form. Can anyone help us? Does anyone have an immigration lawyer they can recommend? Has anyone had this problem?

Thank you
It depends on the sentence that your wife received rather than the arrests. YOu may wish to read the CIC manual on rehab. It is not a walk in the park, but it is quite possible to do it yourself.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/enf/enf14e.pdf

PMM

canadug

Apr 26, 2006
Califronia
Thanks for the info...I have plowed through that manual.....My wife had a 3 month suspended sentence for trespassing and 3 years probation for aiding and abetting. The other two cases of trespasiing were time served..which was one day each. From reading through the manual it seems that she should have been deemed rehabilitated, but I am not a lawyer so maybe I am missing something.

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
If it were me, I think I would bite the bullet and hire a professional. Although you may be able to do it yourself, do you really want to risk getting it wrong?